Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 234059 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #1175 on: June 09, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »
books about America's wars against Indians really eff with the notion of American exceptionalism

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 09, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »
books about America's wars against Indians really eff with the notion of American exceptionalism

Maybe we just didn't become exceptional until after we slaughtered all of the natives.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #1177 on: June 09, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »
dobber, Pete, and michigancat and rage, all on the same (right) page. Wow.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 09, 2015, 01:35:45 PM »
Free market figured them out.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 09, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »

Maybe we just didn't become exceptional until after we slaughtered all of the natives.

yes, but for that we had it. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 09, 2015, 02:04:34 PM »
It's like Adam Smith said, the invisible hand makes adjustments.  If you have ever met an Indian, you know that they are terrible at Econ.  So, boom, invisible hand.  We don't make the rules, dude.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 09, 2015, 02:12:13 PM »
I'm about 1/3 the way through 1Q84 and I'm still not quite sure wtf is going on but it has my balls.
I am at the same place, but I know what is going on and it is only cupping my balls right now.

Did you finish it yet?  Is it worth continuing on?

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 10, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
I'm about 1/3 the way through 1Q84 and I'm still not quite sure wtf is going on but it has my balls.
I am at the same place, but I know what is going on and it is only cupping my balls right now.

Did you finish it yet?  Is it worth continuing on?
Yes, I finished it.  Kinda meh, the ending does not piss you off as I though it had great potential to do.  But it also does not wow you.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 10, 2015, 10:31:02 AM »
The Rick Perlstein Reagan book is great as expected. Glad he picked up on the end of Nixon that he kind of glossed over at the end of Nixonland

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 10, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
The Rick Perlstein Reagan book is great as expected. Glad he picked up on the end of Nixon that he kind of glossed over at the end of Nixonland

The first half of the book is 60-40 Nixon to Reagan stuff.  The RR childhood stuff is fascinating, but the Nixon trial.  My God.  It just makes the Clinton fiasco look so trivial by comparison.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: June 10, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »
Nixon was amazing.

On the RR childhood, you can tell Perlstein doesn't like Reagan, and I appreciate that he doesn't try to hide it. I tried to find the comic of RR as a lifeguard in his HS yearbook but couldn't find it.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 10, 2015, 02:14:18 PM »
Nixon was amazing.

On the RR childhood, you can tell Perlstein doesn't like Reagan, and I appreciate that he doesn't try to hide it. I tried to find the comic of RR as a lifeguard in his HS yearbook but couldn't find it.

He is very transparent that he thinks Reagan is one of history's greatest phonies.  I think compared to Nixonland, his tone is actually harsher, which has thus far struck me as odd and unproductive.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 16, 2015, 09:11:06 PM »
Anyone read any of the wayward pines books? If so please let me know if they are any good. TIA.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 18, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »
Anyone read any of the wayward pines books? If so please let me know if they are any good. TIA.

they weren't bad.   Better than the show (obviously)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 18, 2015, 04:23:57 PM »
Just started reading We Are Not Good People.

only about 1/4 of the way in and it is interesting.  Fantasy about ppl that can perform magic.  The premise is that magic can only be done in the presence of blood.  The stronger the magic, the more blood needed.  I am not far enough to see if Sommers delivers with the book, but the idea is an interesting twist, imo.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 18, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »

Just started reading We Are Not Good People.

only about 1/4 of the way in and it is interesting.  Fantasy about ppl that can perform magic.  The premise is that magic can only be done in the presence of blood.  The stronger the magic, the more blood needed.  I am not far enough to see if Sommers delivers with the book, but the idea is an interesting twist, imo.

Sounds cool.  Keep us posted.  Trying to decide on my next book, but I will most likely stick with the list bread provided me.  I trust bread.  You seem like you like the stuff I like too, tho.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 24, 2015, 07:50:42 AM »

The first half of the book is 60-40 Nixon to Reagan stuff.  The RR childhood stuff is fascinating, but the Nixon trial.  My God.  It just makes the Clinton fiasco look so trivial by comparison.
weird thing about this book: I've never read a book where I've caught so many wacky-esque typos. example: using "roll" where "role" should be used. It's kind of distracting.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 24, 2015, 09:04:49 PM »

weird thing about this book: I've never read a book where I've caught so many wacky-esque typos. example: using "roll" where "role" should be used. It's kind of distracting.

In other rick Perlstein news his Twitter account was taken over by a teenager a couple weeks ago and it still has be blue check mark.  Super weird.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 24, 2015, 09:29:07 PM »
Lol

The Big Train

« Reply #1194 on: June 24, 2015, 09:30:54 PM »
wasnt me

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 24, 2015, 09:43:22 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 29, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »

In other rick Perlstein news his Twitter account was taken over by a teenager a couple weeks ago and it still has be blue check mark.  Super weird.

his website is also down. Which is significant, because it's where he posts his citations.

http://www.rickperlstein.net/the-invisible-bridge/source-notes/

Offline The_Wippuh

• Plainsman
  • Combo-Fan
  • SEC! SEC! SEC! (except Tennessee, eff them!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 30, 2015, 04:06:58 PM »
I am STILL furious at this thread for recommending Dirty White Boys.  So terrible.

Wool, Sand and pretty much everything that Howley writes, that I've read, have been good.  I'm not a big fan of sci-fi stuff, but he's clever.  I hope the movies have a gritty Aliens type vibe to them.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:10:10 PM by The_Wippuh »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: July 01, 2015, 07:38:52 AM »

I am STILL furious at this thread for recommending Dirty White Boys.  So terrible.

Wool, Sand and pretty much everything that Howley writes, that I've read, have been good.  I'm not a big fan of sci-fi stuff, but he's clever.  I hope the movies have a gritty Aliens type vibe to them.

Hey man, blame Tony Korheiser.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: July 01, 2015, 10:50:43 AM »
I just got to the top of the library list for the Audiobook of "Grey" :fatty:
But I accidentally took my earphones home yesterday, so I can't listen to it yet.  :frown: