Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 229996 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #1000 on: January 05, 2015, 11:38:12 AM »
about 2/3 through 1Q84.

It's been harder than I thought keeping myself reminded this takes place in the infancy of computers.

finished it last night....that took longer than I thought.     Interesting story though.

Did you like the ending?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 05, 2015, 11:51:40 AM »
reading American Sniper right now. its okay... not as good as Lone Survivor but i enjoy these books.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: January 05, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »
I'm reading Hubris about the intelligence failures and poor decision making leading up to and during the Iraq War. It's mostly really interesting but goddam that Valerie Wilson leak investigation is such a snooze fest. Still a book everyone should read.

http://www.amazon.com/Hubris-Inside-Story-Scandal-Selling/dp/030734682X

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 05, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »
Debating on what book I should start reading.  I've considered starting the Fire and Ice GoT series but don't know. Has anyone gone back and read them after already seeing the series, worth it?  I also have considered The Road.  I've got amazon prime too so I can download anything else that people would recommend off that as well. 

Need someone to push me in a direction.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: January 05, 2015, 12:26:16 PM »
Debating on what book I should start reading.  I've considered starting the Fire and Ice GoT series but don't know. Has anyone gone back and read them after already seeing the series, worth it?  I also have considered The Road.  I've got amazon prime too so I can download anything else that people would recommend off that as well. 

well I just named a book I think everyone should read. Just a thought.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: January 05, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
about 2/3 through 1Q84.

It's been harder than I thought keeping myself reminded this takes place in the infancy of computers.

finished it last night....that took longer than I thought.     Interesting story though.

Did you like the ending?

it was ok, but a bit of a letdown after the rest.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 05, 2015, 01:48:11 PM »
Everybody needs to read "A Gronking to Remember"

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 05, 2015, 02:04:14 PM »
Just started Gone Girl.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 05, 2015, 05:11:20 PM »
Finished wool and shift. About a quarter through dust. I liked shift much more.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 05, 2015, 05:13:22 PM »
Finished wool and shift. About a quarter through dust. I liked shift much more.

Except the solo chapters. I want to take a lead pipe to solo's head

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 05, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »
I'm reading Hubris about the intelligence failures and poor decision making leading up to and during the Iraq War. It's mostly really interesting but goddam that Valerie Wilson leak investigation is such a snooze fest. Still a book everyone should read.

http://www.amazon.com/Hubris-Inside-Story-Scandal-Selling/dp/030734682X
Just watch Bush's war

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 06, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »

I watched season 1 then read the first 2 books and i think it really helped keep all the characters straight.  After season 2 i read all the remaining books and kind of lost my enthusiasm for watching the show a few episodes into season 4  :dunno:

The Road affected my like no other book, like seriously made start to think about becoming a prepper.  I love all of McCarthy's books tho, have you read any of the others?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 06, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »
Currently reading Blood Meridian. Very good, but kind of hard for me to get through. Just enough Spanish that is important to the story to be a pain.  Love All The Pretty Horses and No Country for Old Men
:adios:

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 06, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »

I watched season 1 then read the first 2 books and i think it really helped keep all the characters straight.  After season 2 i read all the remaining books and kind of lost my enthusiasm for watching the show a few episodes into season 4  :dunno:

The Road affected my like no other book, like seriously made start to think about becoming a prepper.  I love all of McCarthy's books tho, have you read any of the others?

Nope, figured that would be the one to start with since it's got so much national praise.  What other ones are your favorites?

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 06, 2015, 10:25:29 AM »
McCarthy is a master of making you care about characters and then doing terrible things to them. 
The Road is great. I seriously wouldn't recommend it to anyone with kids, though.  It really does affect you.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 06, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »

Nope, figured that would be the one to start with since it's got so much national praise.  What other ones are your favorites?
I have really liked all that I have read.  No Country for Old Men is maybe the most straightforward, I would start there unless you have seen the movie and are one that doesn't like reading the book after.  Any of the Border Trilogy would be good if you like westerns.

Blood Meridian is the weirdest and wouldn't be a great first McCarthy to read - his style takes a little getting used to.

Suttree is the saddest, which is really saying something so maybe not that one either.  I actually haven't finished the last hundred or so pages, had to just put it down and haven't brought myself to pick it back up.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 06, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »
Currently reading Blood Meridian. Very good, but kind of hard for me to get through. Just enough Spanish that is important to the story to be a pain.  Love All The Pretty Horses and No Country for Old Men

Glad I read this on my tablet. I had to highlight and look up a lot of words.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1017 on: February 10, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »
Just finished up:  The Shadow Of What Was Lost

Not terrible, the first 50 pages or so are pretty damn rough and should have been re-written.  Names for people and places are dumb.  Interesting enough plot.

Will probably read the next book when it comes out.

If you like fantasy (which I generally do not) this might be up your alley.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: February 10, 2015, 04:24:10 PM »
Reading "Kafka on the Shore" right now. Excited to finish this and go on a Murakami binge.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 10, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
Which Tom Clancy book is the best? Is there another book of this genre that I should read instead?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: February 10, 2015, 04:35:16 PM »
Which Tom Clancy book is the best? Is there another book of this genre that I should read instead?

the best book is his first, hunt for red october. ive only read a few tho.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 10, 2015, 04:39:51 PM »

Not terrible, the first 50 pages or so are pretty damn rough and should have been re-written.  Names for people and places are dumb.  Interesting enough plot.

How did you come to read this?
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1022 on: February 10, 2015, 04:46:47 PM »

How did you come to read this?
Kindle Unlimited.  I figured I should try being more fair to genres of literature that I used to not like.  In particular what prompted this was reading some collections of short mystery stories (also Kindle Unlimited).  I like short stories a lot, but I have never really read any detective/mystery stuff besides Conan Doyle.  So, I gave it a shot figuring they are short and free.  I ended up really enjoying about half of them.  This made me realize I should go back and revisit some genres like fantasy/scifi that I used to strongly avoid.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: February 10, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »
If you enjoy fantasy, try Riyria Revelations.  Three books that start with Theft of Swords.  They were not amazing, but still very good.  There is a prequel series that is two books deep(out of eventually up to 12).  They are both good too, but def start with the Theft of Swords first.

They aren't GoT, and not as good as The Blade Itself either, but they read quickly and I enjoyed them a lot.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: February 10, 2015, 04:53:07 PM »
If you enjoy fantasy, try Riyria Revelations.  Three books that start with Theft of Swords.  They were not amazing, but still very good.  There is a prequel series that is two books deep(out of eventually up to 12).  They are both good too, but def start with the Theft of Swords first.

They aren't GoT, and not as good as The Blade Itself either, but they read quickly and I enjoyed them a lot.

Have you read any Sanderson?  I see his name thrown around.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.