Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 229910 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #975 on: October 14, 2014, 08:52:35 AM »
been grinding through The Goldfinch.    Gets better as it goes, but it is a slow read for some reason.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 14, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »
Been looking at getting that.  It has great reviews, but everytime I pull it back up on amazon and read the description,  I can't help thinking how boring it sounds.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 20, 2014, 10:57:49 PM »
Going to hit you guys with an oldie that I was totally caught off guard with...

Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Stevenson

Incredible writing and the story is a lot different than what I expected.  The tale stays true at the core but Stevenson's story has been interpreted in so many different ways over the years that the original is almost forgotten.  Do yourself and read it.  Very short and worth it.
I actually read this while I was in the hospital over the summer. I had owned a collection of his short stories with this one in it for quite and had never read it. I agree with your thoughts. Out of the stories in the collection, I enjoyed The Suicide Club the most.

I just picked up Child of God by Cormac McCarthy for another read-through. I really enjoy his writing. If I don't move on to something new after this, I'll probably reread The Border Trilogy or Blood Meridian.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 21, 2014, 08:35:26 AM »
Serena by Ron Rash.  :thumbs:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 09, 2014, 10:06:15 PM »

Serena by Ron Rash.  :thumbs:

I just read the description of this book.  It seems deeply depressing and not enjoyable.  What did you like about this book?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 10, 2014, 12:43:26 PM »
I'm reading The Terror by Dan Simmons.  Historical horror/fiction.  It got fantastic reviews, but so far it's pretty ho hum.  It could be just me though. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 10, 2014, 12:45:33 PM »
I read both of Rothfuss' books.  They were okay.  He's not afraid to be repetitious as hell.  Hey that was a fun scene, I'll redo that crap every 50 pages or so.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 10, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »

I read both of Rothfuss' books.  They were okay.  He's not afraid to be repetitious as hell.  Hey that was a fun scene, I'll redo that crap every 50 pages or so.

I don't disagree, but I had fun reading these books.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 10, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »
Anyone ever read "Ash" by Mary Gentle?  Seems like it could be cool, but maybe tedious.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 12, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »
Been reading some books/series that I'm embarrassed to have not read yet. This week it was the Foundation series. It's obviously old sci-fi. There is some hilarious slang from the '50s sprinkled in there, and some of the science is obvious nonsense, but the story kept me going through three books. I'm even thinking of reading the prequels/sequels that he wrote in the '80s. Really glad I finally got around to reading my first Asimov series.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 13, 2014, 12:27:10 PM »
Been reading some books/series that I'm embarrassed to have not read yet. This week it was the Foundation series. It's obviously old sci-fi. There is some hilarious slang from the '50s sprinkled in there, and some of the science is obvious nonsense, but the story kept me going through three books. I'm even thinking of reading the prequels/sequels that he wrote in the '80s. Really glad I finally got around to reading my first Asimov series.
Asimov on re-reading it: "I read it with mounting uneasiness. I kept waiting for something to happen, and nothing ever did. All three volumes, all the nearly quarter of a million words, consisted of thoughts and of conversation. No action. No physical suspense."
:adios:

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 13, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »
Asimov on re-reading it: "I read it with mounting uneasiness. I kept waiting for something to happen, and nothing ever did. All three volumes, all the nearly quarter of a million words, consisted of thoughts and of conversation. No action. No physical suspense."

James Gunn on the Foundation series: "Action and romance have little to do with the success of the Trilogy—virtually all the action takes place offstage, and the romance is almost invisible—but the stories provide a detective-story fascination with the permutations and reversals of ideas.”
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 13, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »

James Gunn on the Foundation series: "Action and romance have little to do with the success of the Trilogy—virtually all the action takes place offstage, and the romance is almost invisible—but the stories provide a detective-story fascination with the permutations and reversals of ideas.”
:peek: it is one of my favorite series'. Just saw that quote on Grantland today
:adios:

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #988 on: November 13, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »
I read 80% of The Catcher in the Rye and hated it so I stopped and don't plan to finish. I'm sure it was an important read or whatever 50-some years ago but the shock value and rebelliousness is totally lost today. Let me know if there is a big ending, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:29:17 PM by bubbles4ksu »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 13, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »
nope, just a day in the life of a kid

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: November 13, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel. Hilarious. @chingon, it kind of reminds me of Sotweed Factor but a little easier to read.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #991 on: November 13, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »
oooh, noted

Do you like the rest of her stuff?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 13, 2014, 05:28:36 PM »
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel. Hilarious. @chingon, it kind of reminds me of Sotweed Factor but a little easier to read.

That looks like it's right in my wheelhouse.  I also learned that I am a Byronic hero when I went to look it up. 

"a man proud, moody, cynical, with defiance on his brow, and misery in his heart, a scorner of his kind, implacable in revenge, yet capable of deep and strong affection"

:eek:

He knew himself a villain—but he deem'd
The rest no better than the thing he seem'd;
And scorn'd the best as hypocrites who hid
Those deeds the bolder spirit plainly did.

Like if somebody was to tell you to describe me, you would have written that assuming you were capable.  Amazing!

Offline ascentofstan

• Fan
  • It's the wonder of nature, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 21, 2014, 06:26:31 PM »
You're going to want to read this before the Ridley Scott/Matt Damon movie comes out next year.

The Big Train

« Reply #994 on: December 21, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »
You're going to want to read this before the Ridley Scott/Matt Damon movie comes out next year.

is it actually good or is it like mission to Mars bad?

Offline ascentofstan

• Fan
  • It's the wonder of nature, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 22, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »

is it actually good or is it like mission to Mars bad?

It's like 2001: A Space Odyssey good (but like the film good, not the novel written concurrently with the film)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 22, 2014, 12:06:26 PM »
about 2/3 through 1Q84.

It's been harder than I thought keeping myself reminded this takes place in the infancy of computers.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 05, 2015, 08:31:15 AM »
Just finished Dust, the second book in the Wool series.   Fun, but not quite as good as Wool IMHO.

Did you read Shift too?

it's on my nightstand.   
Ummm I think you might have read them out of order then...

Wool -> Shift -> Dust

then maaaaaaybe ...... Sand (maybe....)

I just read Sand over the holiday break. It was pretty good, maybe better than Wool.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 05, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »
about 2/3 through 1Q84.

It's been harder than I thought keeping myself reminded this takes place in the infancy of computers.

finished it last night....that took longer than I thought.     Interesting story though.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 05, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
I started "reading" The Hobbit (actually listening to while driving for the first 5 chapters but I also have the ebook so I can read parts of it while not driving). Not sure how good it is going to be yet.