Author Topic: Brad Underwood isn't coming to KState...  (Read 62188 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Re: Brad Underwood isn't coming to KState...
« Reply #350 on: March 23, 2016, 09:36:18 AM »

Some desire for Underwood isn't what gets me. What baffles me is how people act like it's a given that he's a slam dunk hire that we'd be crazy to pass up.

yes

I was all over BBB, but I agree with this.

I'm stunned that you and rusty can be this obtuse. That's not what this was about and I'm surprised you guys don't recognize that.

What is it about?

Because I think it's about KSU fans being so small-timey that a large contingent of its fanbase has convinced itself that if we don't hire a low-major coach in his 50's who played on a shitty KSU team THIRTY YEARS AGO we are doomed to eternal failure. Like, this was the only opportunity we will ever have to be kinda good and the mean old AD shocked us by taking kinda goodness away from us with this news. Golly gee, guess the best we can hope for Steve Henson.

How do you not understand for most of the people you're degenerating that Brad is a secondary storyline? If we weren't stuck with Weber/Currie/Schulz and Brad became available there wouldn't have been this much uproar. If we heard that Buzz Williams was interested in K-State this same thing would have happened. The alumni piece of this is relevant because he was a bona fide hot coaching prospect that actually wants to be here. There isn't a fan base in the country that wouldn't be excited if they were struggling and they had a shot at the best candidate on the market.

I don't usually agree on much, but this is pretty spot on. However,

Also I'd understand your point if of the narrative was about what Brad was going to do for us. The narrative never got beyond, "fire oscar, hire Brad." No one talked about the recruits he will bring or the conference titles he will win. Your "chill out rubes he isn't John Wooden or Coach K" tone is inappropriate and disingenuous.

Generally this is the standard at this blog, so I don't think we can get upset about it.

Sidebar: @chum1 ->

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 23, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »
Thinking that Underwood could be the mechanism to force Currie's hand with regard to oscar is way crazier than thinking that Underwood is a slam dunk hire.

Well no one really thought either but keep barking at your own shadow

Bullshit. Plenty of people thought each. But I was largely explaining why I would naturally assume that people were acting like Underwood was a slam dunk hire - because the alternatives are just way more crazy.

Nope. No one acted like Brad was a "slam dunk hire" they thought he was the right hire, slam dunk hire is a cute little malleable phase though that you can sculpt to fit your agenda. Also no one thought Brad would force Currie's hand, people did think Brad was the guy who would have had the Johnson's, the Ice's, and their ilk hold Currie's feet to the fire and he certainly was the guy to re-engage Garth Gardiner.

I'm not into this sort of nitpicking. ("Right hire" is okay, but "slam dunk" isn't?)

So, please just substitute everything you said for everything I said. It's all very out of touch with reality.
he's not nitpicking, he's arguing.  nitpicking is just a cute little malleable phrase that you've sculpted to fit your agenda.  quit being so obtuse.

I've been out of the game for a long time, but it's nice to see that 'clams is still reign supreme.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »
I thought Underwood was a slam dunk  :dunno:

He seemed to have all the intangibles to go with his winning record: seemed to really care about his players, teams play tough, loyal guy. Just have a gut feeling that he's going to be one that's really, really good.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2016, 05:50:04 PM »
Huggins was a slam dunk hire and we won't ever see anything like it again

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 23, 2016, 05:50:35 PM »

Frank Martin was a slam dunk hire as well.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 23, 2016, 05:58:40 PM »

Frank Martin was a slam dunk hire as well.

break away lay up

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 23, 2016, 06:58:42 PM »
Frank was like a 360 windmill. Like if it works, amazing, but it easily could have failed pretty LOLly

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 23, 2016, 08:39:14 PM »
Though probably not true for much of the fan base, I think for myself and a lot of people around here the thought/hope that Underwood could bring us back to what we had under Huggins/Frank was huge.

I'm talking style of play, toughness and success. While not the character Frank is, the product on the floor and the winner's attitude on the sideline would go a long way to returning out fan base to the rabid level it was before Currie -- by way of oscar -- began destroying it.

Really, it probably would have been better. We would have had all the positives of the Frank tenure without what some (tucks) perceived as negative. We also wouldn't have been worried about him bouncing somewhere else if he was successful.

Doesn't matter now tho.

KSU will likely rise again sometime in the relatively near future, and it will probably be fun, but it won't be the same as a return to what we had under Frank.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:42 PM »
Though probably not true for much of the fan base, I think for myself and a lot of people around here the thought/hope that Underwood could bring us back to what we had under Huggins/Frank was huge.

I'm talking style of play, toughness and success. While not the character Frank is, the product on the floor and the winner's attitude on the sideline would go a long way to returning out fan base to the rabid level it was before Currie -- by way of oscar -- began destroying it.

Really, it probably would have been better. We would have had all the positives of the Frank tenure without what some (tucks) perceived as negative. We also wouldn't have been worried about him bouncing somewhere else if he was successful.

Doesn't matter now tho.

KSU will likely rise again sometime in the relatively near future, and it will probably be fun, but it won't be the same as a return to what we had under Frank.

I agree with that.

But who knows, our next good run might be better than Frank!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2016, 10:05:17 PM »
too many of you guys attach your k-state hoops fandom to frank martin, it's not a good look

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2016, 10:13:47 PM »

Doesn't matter now tho.

If Underwood was as successful as you imagine he would absolutely be a risk to leave for a better job.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2016, 10:32:40 PM »

Doesn't matter now tho.

If Underwood was as successful as you imagine he would absolutely be a risk to leave for a better job.

Nah.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2016, 10:38:51 PM »

Doesn't matter now tho.

Nah.
You're adorable

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 23, 2016, 11:09:14 PM »

Doesn't matter now tho.

Nah.
You're adorable

I'd be interested in your thoughts as to why. My guess is there are more points in favor of not being a risk than being one. It's not really close.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2016, 11:32:31 PM »
John Currie put an expiration date on his time at K-State with the way things went down over the last week. Brad wasn't the lever to force him to play his hand right now, but it did make him double down on oscar. He's not long for the road here. Doesn't matter how much the Animal likes him. Much of the support that was keeping oscar and John above water is gone now. Some people (certainly not the majority of defectors though) are going back to supporting them after BBB didn't work out, but looking at things from the other side's perspective has weakened their renewed support. We'll have a new AD and basketball coach probably within the next two years. The last week was good for Cats bball in the long run, bummer that Brad didn't get his shot though, he deserved it.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 23, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »
I'd be interested in your thoughts as to why. My guess is there are more points in favor of not being a risk than being one. It's not really close.

You're interested to know why a successful KSU coach might consider a better job? The seemingly obvious answer is to win at a higher level.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 23, 2016, 11:44:01 PM »

You're interested to know why a successful KSU coach might consider a better job? The seemingly obvious answer is to win at a higher level.

It depends on what motivates you as a human being. Gottlieb the other day was talking about Brad's desire to really only coach in two states, because they fit him as a person, Oklahoma and Kansas. I think P5 basketball in a place that he enjoys is probably all that he's looking for, it's not like OSU plays in a different tourney than UNC or UK. Really doubt he leaves OSU if successful. He can coach into his 60s and retire a legend if things go well. Seems to fit his personality. Never really seemed like a ladder climber. I mean, he took a non-coaching job just to make it back to his alma mater. He's not your typical dude.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 23, 2016, 11:46:03 PM »

The real question here is, "who gives a crap if the guy wins a ton of games for us and then decides to coach somewhere else?"

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 23, 2016, 11:49:40 PM »
Brad would have retired here.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 24, 2016, 12:00:47 AM »

It depends on what motivates you as a human being. Gottlieb the other day was talking about Brad's desire to really only coach in two states, because they fit him as a person, Oklahoma and Kansas. I think P5 basketball in a place that he enjoys is probably all that he's looking for, it's not like OSU plays in a different tourney than UNC or UK. Really doubt he leaves OSU if successful. He can coach into his 60s and retire a legend if things go well. Seems to fit his personality. Never really seemed like a ladder climber. I mean, he took a non-coaching job just to make it back to his alma mater. He's not your typical dude.

There is nothing magical about coaching in Oklahoma or Kansas, even to Brad Underwood. You're assuming a lot about his personality that fits your narrative that this is exactly where he wants to be and isn't into ladder climbing, despite the fact that he has moved 4 times in the last 10 years for coaching jobs (including LEAVING the place you claim he loves so much because of his unique personality). He is absolutely your typical ladder-climbing coaching dude.

As for taking DOBO, he was a juco coach in northern Florida. It was a no-brainer move. He would likely be wallowing in the NJCAA or as a mid-major assistant if not for Huggs and Blake Young. He was incredibly lucky to get offered that job. (And to be fair, he's made the most of it.)

The real question here is, "who gives a crap if the guy wins a ton of games for us and then decides to coach somewhere else?"

Yes

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 24, 2016, 12:07:37 AM »
not sure it was his choice to leave ksu last time
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 24, 2016, 12:08:53 AM »
not sure it was his choice to leave ksu last time
Everyone claims he was offered an assistant position

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 24, 2016, 12:11:03 AM »
i have never heard that  :dunno:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 24, 2016, 01:04:25 AM »
the story is that he was offered a demotion.  that currie and underwood had an agreement that he'd stay as assoc head coach @ x dollars and then currie/weber hired gave lowery the assoc head coach position and offered underwood 2nd or 3rd assistant @ x-y dollars.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 24, 2016, 07:57:21 AM »

the story is that he was offered a demotion.  that currie and underwood had an agreement that he'd stay as assoc head coach @ x dollars and then currie/weber hired gave lowery the assoc head coach position and offered underwood 2nd or 3rd assistant @ x-y dollars.
what if y was a negative number? That would have been a pretty crazy offer!

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)