Author Topic: Brad Underwood isn't coming to KState...  (Read 61610 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Brad Underwood isn't coming to KState...
« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »
Some desire for Underwood isn't what gets me. What baffles me is how people act like it's a given that he's a slam dunk hire that we'd be crazy to pass up.

yes

1.  K-State's basketball program history has brought together two generations that experienced high achievement: Jack Hartman era and the Huggins/Martin era.  Brad Underwood is a bridge between those eras.

2.  K-State basketball fans that were excited by either era are disgusted with the current situation.

3.  People have personal connections to Brad.

4.  People hate Currie/oscar and are looking for ways to make them look bad.

Is it that hard to see how those 4 things working in conjunction add up to the response?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2016, 05:46:29 PM »
Some desire for Underwood isn't what gets me. What baffles me is how people act like it's a given that he's a slam dunk hire that we'd be crazy to pass up.

yes

1.  K-State's basketball program history has brought together two generations that experienced high achievement: Jack Hartman era and the Huggins/Martin era.  Brad Underwood is a bridge between those eras.

2.  K-State basketball fans that were excited by either era are disgusted with the current situation.

Is it that hard to see how those 4 things working in conjunction add up to the response?

All those were in place 4 years ago. And last year.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »

yes

Brad's resume is much better now.  You can add in the March media buzz around Brad.  Also, plenty of people wanted Underwood when Frank left.  I remember hearing lots of people bitch that he didn't get an interview.

Online Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 22, 2016, 05:57:39 PM »
Its obvious Currie's choice was about oscar and oscar alone.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 22, 2016, 06:02:44 PM »

yes

Brad's resume is much better now.  You can add in the March media buzz around Brad.  Also, plenty of people wanted Underwood when Frank left.  I remember hearing lots of people bitch that he didn't get an interview.

His resume isn't meaningfully different than it was a year ago.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 22, 2016, 06:06:04 PM »

yes

He has 33% more data and had another strong showing in the tournament given his seed.  Now you are just being contrarian without evidence.  Nevermind, that in the real world his name was the "hot" name all over CBS, which has its own actual value for the program.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 22, 2016, 06:09:20 PM »

yes

I was all over BBB, but I agree with this.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 22, 2016, 06:09:28 PM »

yes

He has 33% more data and had another strong showing in the tournament given his seed.  Now you are just being contrarian without evidence.  Nevermind, that in the real world his name was the "hot" name all over CBS, which has its own actual value for the program.

I don't think one NCAA tournament win is a good predictor of his performance at the next level. Also, he struggled a lot more in OOC than he did last season. Lost to some bad teams.

However, you are correct about the perception being very important and that isn't something I placed enough weight upon.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 22, 2016, 06:10:35 PM »
And yes, Brad is over.

Next year I'll probably be BBK.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 22, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »

yes

I don't think one NCAA tournament win is a good predictor of his performance at the next level. Also, he struggled a lot more in OOC than he did last season. Lost to some bad teams.

However, you are correct about the perception being very important and that isn't something I placed enough weight upon.

for a low major, I think given the fact that he has dominated his conference and taken care of biz and won his tourney, NCAA tournament record is the most important thing as far as elevating himself to the job he currently has.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 22, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »

yes

for a low major, I think given the fact that he has dominated his conference and taken care of biz and won his tourney, NCAA tournament record is the most important thing as far as elevating himself to the job he currently has.

You are correct. And I think that is absurd.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 22, 2016, 06:46:47 PM »

yes

I'm stunned that you and rusty can be this obtuse. That's not what this was about and I'm surprised you guys don't recognize that.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 22, 2016, 06:55:21 PM »
Kansas State should always go for the coach with the highest ceiling.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 22, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »

yes

I'm stunned that you and rusty can be this obtuse. That's not what this was about and I'm surprised you guys don't recognize that.

What is it about?

Because I think it's about KSU fans being so small-timey that a large contingent of its fanbase has convinced itself that if we don't hire a low-major coach in his 50's who played on a shitty KSU team THIRTY YEARS AGO we are doomed to eternal failure. Like, this was the only opportunity we will ever have to be kinda good and the mean old AD shocked us by taking kinda goodness away from us with this news. Golly gee, guess the best we can hope for Steve Henson.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 22, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »

yes

What is it about?

Because I think it's about KSU fans being so small-timey that a large contingent of its fanbase has convinced itself that if we don't hire a low-major coach in his 50's who played on a shitty KSU team THIRTY YEARS AGO we are doomed to eternal failure. Like, this was the only opportunity we will ever have to be kinda good and the mean old AD shocked us by taking kinda goodness away from us with this news. Golly gee, guess the best we can hope for Steve Henson.

that's kinda where i was a couple weeks ago when the board blew up about hiring brad.. he's a cat and everything but knowing oscar wasn't going anywhere, it's tough to melt down about.  also, like i have been saying, brad's resume isn't all that considering the crap conference he's in.  big risk for cur-dog.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 22, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »
you really are obtuse.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2016, 07:49:58 PM »
I reserve the right to melt down if Brad gets a burger boy to OSU.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2016, 07:59:40 PM »

yes

What is it about?

Pretty reasonable considering our bball program's small timeyness 20 or so years ago.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 22, 2016, 08:03:36 PM »
I was absolutely on board with Brad. I think he's done a great job at SFA and losing 1 conference game, going to 3 NCAAs, and 2 NCAA wins at that school is impressive in only 3 seasons. But he's still in his first D1 job and in his early 50s. His best players throughout his 3 years were mainly guys he didn't recruit. He took a solid foundation from Kasper and ran with it, but we have no idea whether or not he can recruit P5 talent, its not like he was known as the stud recruiter on staff when he was here with Huggs and Frank. I believe he would have been a great hire for us, but far from a slam dunk and still with plenty of questions. I would probabl

I try to look at K-State basketball with perspective. I like remembering our basketball tradition, but the 4 Final Fours over the course of 16 years took place over 50 years ago. I mean a total of 3 black players played on those 4 teams. It was a different basketball world and it was the glory of K-State basketball. We've been solid since then, but have never come close to replicating that run. Hartman had a very good run, Kruger had a nice spurt, and Huggs/Frank built us back up with another good stretch. I just want us to find another guy at that level and I believe we will in my lifetime, hopefully a couple more if I live long enough. I think I'll see at least another Elite 8 and league title. I don't think Schulz or Currie or Weber will destroy K-State sports as we know it. Programs like ours have ups and downs, we are in a down period.

I'm glad to live through our glory years of football, roughly the equivalent of that run in basketball, but in a more modern sports world. 2 conference titles, 3 elite bowls, 6 Top 10 finishes over 20 years. I don't think football is over either, but that run may not be duplicated here. Still, I believe I will see another conference title and elite bowl in my lifetime.

All that to say in this long ass post is I try to keep things in perspective. Brad would've been a great hire, but I've moved on. I likely won't attend K-State basketball games next year because I think its futile at this point, but I know better days will come for this program. It may take another year or two or maybe a couple more, but we'll be an NCAA tournament team again. Missing out on Brad did not destroy that.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 22, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »

it's all this (besides the fact that underwood's resume really is outstanding and he's a fantastic hire for osu and would have been for kstate).

but the reaction we saw when it became apparent that underwood would be leaving sfa this year was pure fear.  last year, when kstate kept weber, in the back of every fan's mind was the fact that we could always turn to underwood.  why not give weber another year?  what's there to lose?  if he doesn't work out, we just bring back brad.  so we lose a year or two, bfd, it just gives us more time to see what underwood can do.  underwood, the one man we knew would take the job.  the one hire so obvious we knew currie would have to make it.  and this year, while our ad was twiddling his thumbs, osu stole our safety net.  suddenly we're 1000 feet in the air wobbling between weber on one side and an unknown currie hire on the other.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 22, 2016, 08:32:58 PM »

it's all this (besides the fact that underwood's resume really is outstanding and he's a fantastic hire for osu and would have been for kstate).

but the reaction we saw when it became apparent that underwood would be leaving sfa this year was pure fear.  last year, when kstate kept weber, in the back of every fan's mind was the fact that we could always turn to underwood.  why not give weber another year?  what's there to lose?  if he doesn't work out, we just bring back brad.  so we lose a year or two, bfd, it just gives us more time to see what underwood can do.  underwood, the one man we knew would take the job.  the one hire so obvious we knew currie would have to make it.  and this year, while our ad was twiddling his thumbs, osu stole our safety net.  suddenly we're 1000 feet in the air wobbling between weber on one side and an unknown currie hire on the other.

come on. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 22, 2016, 08:34:23 PM »
come on.

you will never understand kstate.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 22, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »
Jacob Pullen wanted Brad and that's all I need to know.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 22, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »
So did every player I ever cared about
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 22, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »
It's like five things that all came together at once. The athletic dept treatment of fans this year is might be the biggest reason. That made people that don't really want or care to question leadership, question them.

Announcing at the end of the OU game that people running on the court will be possibly arrested etc. followed by the ridiculousness that was the ku game was just too much for your average fan.

Currie micromanaged frank and this year he started to micromanage the fan base. That was stupid and might ultimately be his downfall. You don't openly talk down to the people that care enough to actually attend the games that pay your salary.

I personally witnessed a person with over 1k/year seats that he's had for several years get told that he would get kicked out if he said the word eff again because he said it once in the first half of the wvu game. Like, that happened and I witnessed it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:05:19 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »