Author Topic: Lets talk about pets you had as a kid  (Read 1801 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Lets talk about pets you had as a kid
« on: March 18, 2015, 12:15:45 AM »
Big Bird(Parakeet)- Wings were clipped as a youngster and never regained full flight ability, I would describe his flight ability as being equal to a chicken. Big Bird was pretty awesome and would sit on your shoulder and chill for hours at a time. He absolutely loved millet.

Snow Flake(Parakeet)- Technically my sisters pet but this gal was awesome. She had full flight ability and we would let her fly around the downstairs and she would land on your shoulder and hang out while you cruised AOL chat rooms or played 007 Golden Eye.

Mr. Toad(Toad)- Mr. Toad was stolen from western KS as a tadpole and lived the majority of his life in a 10 gallon aquarium. Prime time summer entertainment was catching june bugs outside and throwing them into Mr. Toad's quarters. Eventually Mr. Toad passed and was replaced by other toads but they were never as cool.

Fish, Lots of them. I'm talking Guppies/Mollys/Assorted Goldfish/Algea Suckers/Platties/Tetras/Etc Etc.

What about you?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Lets talk about pets you had as a kid
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:34:42 AM »
I had a Dalmatian. :love:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:40:58 AM »
This is a great thread.
Barney the dog. Half St Bernard, half German Shepherd. Run over by a tractor had to get pins in his back leg. Scared the neighbors Dobermans repeatedly, so the shot at him. Blinded him in one eye. Saw him kill a raccoon when he was 12 years old. He got stuck in some mud in creek and died when he was 14-15.
A great dog.
Had lots of others: Flash, Bingo, Josey, Axel, Duke. Probably missing a couple others.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 03:46:41 AM »
The usual dogs and cats.  Had a pet raccoon, Rocky.  Absolutely the coolest pet but went back to the wild after a couple years.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 03:54:21 AM »
Had 4 dogs and 7 cats by the time I went to college. My favorite was my chocolate lab named Koko. It was probably the only pet of the 11 that I felt was mine (vs. just the family's). We got her when I was 10 and she made it to my junior year of college. She was very shy, but very protective of me. She wouldn't seek out people unless she thought they were trying to harm me. If you came in my room unannounced she would pause in attack mode, growling, until I told her it was cool. This even happened when my dad or neighbor (who was over all the time) came into my room.

This thread is stupid. Stop making me cry.

The Big Train

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 06:27:44 AM »
I had 2 cats that I got when I was like 3. One of my cats(calico) died when I was in middle school and her name was little miss. My other cat was black and white and had socks for paws and a white cheek and a black cheek. He was awesome and didn't die until about 5 years ago.

I also had a dog(Chesapeake Bay retriever) that I got in middle school. His name was Tater and even at 130lbs he still thought he was a lap dog. He died about 3 weeks before my step-dad did in 2009.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:14:08 AM »
Animal: Raccoon
Name: Blinky (named by lil sd)
Activities: Would chase me to the school bus trying to get on with me so the driver would have to slam the door shut fast once I was on. Would crawl up on the back of the couch and behind my head and lay his head on my shoulder like he was watching/reading whatever I was reading. If you gave him stuff with water around he would try to wash it before he ate it. sdmom would mess with him and give him sugar cubes and he'd wash them and they'd disintegrate. Took him to show and tell every single show and tell, obviously best show and tell of the class every time. sdgrandpa passed away when lil sd was around 5. after sdgrandma had been seeing the future new sdgrandpa for awhile she brought him to visit us. when they got back to their town they had some rolls of film developed that he had taken from the trip to visit us and it was 95% pictures of the Raccoon with almost no pictures of the grand children.
Death: Was run over by a truck while lil sd took his nap.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:39:44 AM »
Cats? We were crazy run over with cats. Had 40-50 at all times growing up. No names. Maybe 10 of them would let you pet them.
I grew up on a dairy farm. They all got fresh milk every morning and night. Add in table scraps if there were any. The rest of their food was caught on their own. Rats, mice, and even birds. Watching a cat stalk a bird and pounce is really great.
BTW, none of our pets were house pets.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 08:36:47 AM »
My mom had a Dachshund named Sugar. And my dad had a Brittany named Candy (although I didn't realize the breed was called a Brittany, we just called her a "bird dog")...We had a washcloth on the end of a fishing pole that we used to get her to point at although she never actually went hunting (at least that I know of).

(I wonder if Gooch even realizes that I named our dog Candy after the original Candy.)

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 10:14:55 AM »
just go read the sad thread and gtfoomf.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »
Elmo was a black dachshund.  Fido was a cat.  Those two loved each other a LOT.  Fido was older and once we got Elmo, he'd run up to Fido and immediately plop down on his back.  Fido would then walk over and start licking elmo's stomach and neck and stuff.  This was a daily thing.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
also, i adore your blinky stories SD.  are all raccoons so easily domesticated, or was it just blinky?  how did you come to turn a raccoon into a pet?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »
I had a bunny named cocoa because it was brown. It would hop around all day and I would feed it grass and stuff and it would even play with our dogs sometimes, although for the most part rabbits are really stupid and skittish. It was cute though. Then one day it got into a neighbors yard and was ripped in half by the neighbors two black labs. Like literally ripped into two equal pieces that young benja found. So that was cocoa.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »
Rat terrier named Patches. My best friend from 3 to 7. Bit the neighbor girl one time. "Went to live at a farm."

Hamster named Cotton. He was a good dude. He was also very fuzzy. You should have seen how many pellets he could stuff in his mouth at once! Cotton used to traipse around my bedroom from time to time, but my mom would always make me put him back in. I used to take him outside in the summer time some days. He died when I was at the county fair. RIP old friend.

Sheba. She was an Alaskan Malamute that used to be my grandpas, but we kept her for a few years. Very nice dog, but would run away straight to the sheep pens at the vet lot in my home town if she got loose. She always came back though after a few hours. She won friendliest at the local pet show. She never met a person she didn't like. When my grandpa, and her, got older she went back to live with him. She died one night when I was visiting him in St. Joe, Missouri. She had been in a bad way for a few days he said. I stayed with her nearly all night and prayed to God to take her away. She died sometime after I went to sleep.I wish I would have stayed until the end. He probably should have had her put down. I cried like a baby.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:16:23 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »
Animal: Raccoon
Name: Blinky (named by lil sd)
Activities: Would chase me to the school bus trying to get on with me so the driver would have to slam the door shut fast once I was on. Would crawl up on the back of the couch and behind my head and lay his head on my shoulder like he was watching/reading whatever I was reading. If you gave him stuff with water around he would try to wash it before he ate it. sdmom would mess with him and give him sugar cubes and he'd wash them and they'd disintegrate. Took him to show and tell every single show and tell, obviously best show and tell of the class every time. sdgrandpa passed away when lil sd was around 5. after sdgrandma had been seeing the future new sdgrandpa for awhile she brought him to visit us. when they got back to their town they had some rolls of film developed that he had taken from the trip to visit us and it was 95% pictures of the Raccoon with almost no pictures of the grand children.
Death: Was run over by a truck while lil sd took his nap.

Needs pictures.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

The Big Train

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 10:20:33 PM »
i dont need pictures of a dead raccoon, jesus we already know it died nicname, we dont need to see proof  :frown:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 10:24:20 PM »
i dont need pictures of a dead raccoon, jesus we already know it died nicname, we dont need to see proof  :frown:

you're gross and heartless.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 10:29:29 PM »
Pomeranian named Bandit. Developed a bone disease where he'd break his leg if he jumped off the couch. Had to put to sleep.

Rat terrier named Tippy. Never quite got trained so we have her to a family in the country. Their house burned down and she was killed a couple years later.

Another dog, I don't remember what type, named Bo. Had several years, then died suddenly one day when I was in college.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 11:16:14 PM »
Dogs, fish, lizards, green tree frogs, green grass snakes, hamsters hermit crab

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 11:23:47 PM »
Had a gerbil named batman who died after like 3 weeks.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 11:24:17 PM »
Had a gerbil named batman who died after like 3 weeks.

Got a new one the next day and named him robin  :D

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »
We had a Brittany too, I pulled its docked tail all the time as a young kid.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 01:31:35 AM »
It's sad that our strongest memories of our most beloved pets are often how they died. Despite that, it would seem that the good memories far outweigh the bad or we wouldn't keep getting them. I would go as far as to say that most (over 50%) of this board couldn't imagine living without a pet in the home.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 11:27:43 PM »
most (over 50%) of this board couldn't imagine living without a pet in the home.

i've tried.  it's impossible.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 11:42:27 PM »
had a brittany as a kid. parents lived in texas at the time, picked him up in austin, so they named him austin

a bit after he passed, we got a bichon named chloe (doesn't shed at all... ideal for 3mom) but dog was pathetic. so we got another of the same kind a couple years later. Joie. we named them so that when we called one they both conveniently came. pretty stud dogs. can't wait to get my own. wanting a boxer soon.

also had a russian tortoise named russ.