Author Topic: Lets talk about pets you had as a kid  (Read 1827 times)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Re: Lets talk about pets you had as a kid
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 07:04:36 AM »
Had a pair of ducks in 5th grade.  I thought they'd be great pets, but my parents didn't want me to get them, and couldn't figure out why.  After a week I found out.  Those ducks are pooping machines, they literally crap every minute.  Our yard became some kind of duck sewer, it was just gross.  So, after a few months of being denied use of the back yard because of vast quantities of duck poop, my dad packed up the ducks and gave them to one of our farm friends, who put them on his pond.  They loved that, I'd go see them and fish the pond.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 11:07:42 PM »
I had a bunny named cocoa because it was brown. It would hop around all day and I would feed it grass and stuff and it would even play with our dogs sometimes, although for the most part rabbits are really stupid and skittish. It was cute though. Then one day it got into a neighbors yard and was ripped in half by the neighbors two black labs. Like literally ripped into two equal pieces that young benja found. So that was cocoa.

Sad to hear about Cocoa's demise but a rabbit seems like a pretty cool pet.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 11:10:52 PM »

Sheba. She was an Alaskan Malamute that used to be my grandpas, but we kept her for a few years. Very nice dog, but would run away straight to the sheep pens at the vet lot in my home town if she got loose.

I had a roommate in college who had a Husky. If that dog ever got off a leash or snuck outside it would run for miles, would not be out of the ordinary for someone to call 5 miles away and say they found the dog.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 11:55:40 PM »
Had a cat acquired from a liter of farm cats at my grandparents house, Tiger.  A yellow and orange striped cat he was the sole cat in the house growing up.  Never neutered, he spent his time brawling with raccoons and nearby cats around my folks house outside of town.  Always out at night, constantly on the porch the next morning all mangled up on its face and front arms.  Finally met its maker at the hands of an automobile, hopped home with a rear shin dragging behind it and waited on the porch to get let in like it was no big deal.  True story, the folks have always had problems with racoons getting in the trash and hanging around the house since his passing.
Dogs: Blue Healer named Twitch on account of his spastic behavior.  Nipped, went back to herding sheep after a brief sojourn.
An english settler named Jake.  Great dog, hunting dog and the gentlest dog ever.  Got dog-napped by suspected laborers at a nearby housing development going up.  Found 6 months later a town 30 miles away: skinny, heartworm riddled, and in renal failure.  :cry:
And a Black lab named Jake.  Smartest dog i ever had. Never pissed in the house, would jump in the shower if he ever got locked in and had to go.  Could sit, shake, and rollover on a command of pointing a finger at him in the shape of a gun and saying Bang!  A statesmen of the household lived to a ripe old age.

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 12:25:11 AM »
Here's my dad's favorite story to tell about me that is somewhat dementedly funny:

When I was in 2nd grade, my sister still in preschool, The Lion King was about as popular as Frozen was last year. Our grey cat, Thomas (named so because of Tom and Jerry) had recently run away and after a week we knew it was time to get a new cat. Well, my mom was out of town so it was up to my dad to help us pick out a new cat. My sister and I were set on getting a yellow female cat so we could name her Nala (my best friend had just gotten a yellow male cat and named him Simba). There was literally one yellow, female cat in the entire pound. And it was very, very sick. But my sister and I had a young childish hope about us and were convinced that if we got her she would get better. My dad tried to talk us out of it, but it was futile. So the pound gave her a flea bath, called it good, and we were on our way. My dad went to the K-State game on that Saturday night, after we had obtained her on a Friday. He was hungover as hell, and awoke to me crying.
"Hey Bub, what's wrong?"
"I think Nala's dead."
"Why do you think that?"
"Well, I stood her up and she fell over this way. Then I stood her up again, and she fell over THIS way."
"Yup, she's probably dead"

Well, we were ready for a new cat. So instead of putting any type of faith into the pound again, my dad went through the newspaper to find us a new cat. He found an ad that read "6 kittens. Three ugly, two really ugly, and one really, really ugly." He was intrigued so he called this person and they said "Come by our house and look at them. It's on such-n-such road, an ugly house on the left. You can't miss it". So we went there and picked out a mostly black cat with a few gold/brown stripes. We named him Binx after the cat in the movie Hocus Pocus. We had him for around 12 years before he passed. One of the few great cats in this world. My mom never met our cat Nala.