Author Topic: Well hello there SAE  (Read 90716 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Well hello there SAE
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »
There are a lot of racists out there, if I had to guess I'd say there are more racists than non-racists, so when people put it on display it doesn't surprise me much.  There really isn't anyway to legislate morality, the n-word will probably be said a bazillions times tomorrow alone.  Human flaws and sins are here to stay.

Your guess is moronic. I don't think I have ever read a post of yours that wasn't total dog crap.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2015, 11:39:28 PM »
Yeah, this is absolutely the thread to deal with this stupidity. First of all I'm going to assume that you and cartier are talking about different things because he said greek organizations and you are talking about the greek system. When I was in college I was in a social greek fraternity that was a men's organization. I was also a member of a greek service fraternity that was a coed organization. I attempted to get into an academic honor fraternity, Phi Beta Kappa, but unfortunately I did not get in. I would think that attending a four year college one would know the variety and differences in greek organizations and not group them all together as if they are some homogeneous unit. Asking why greek organizations exist is why asking why there is the need for all groups and clubs, its absolutely a stupid premise.

I'm referring specifically to fraternities and fraternities governed by campus organizations such as IFC and Panhell - I was on my phone and didn't feel like typing it out. I don't know anything about other "Greek" organizations.

How is a fraternity any different that a floor of a resident hall that is really organized?

Well, a couple things you won't find on an organized resident hall floor (or the frisbee club or multicultural organization or even the college republicans):

1) Songs with the word "n-word" in them passed down for years
2) Mental and physical abuse for new members of the floor (again, passed down for generations - probably even longer than the song for most)
3) Kicking someone off the floor for being gay

You'd also probably see less philanthropic activity as well, but residence halls don't have problems like I mentioned to burden them moving forward - crap like calling someone a "spic" won't fly in those organizations because they don't have the secrecy or exclusion on a scale of fraternities. I'll concede that social fraternities (such as SAE or whatever) have a purpose, but I don't think the positives of that purpose outweigh the negatives.

Also, I'll concede that not every fraternity or sorority participates in bullshit like hazing and homophobia, but they all tolerate it on some level. My fraternity didn't tolerate that nonsense internally, but I'll be damned if we didn't participate in things such as homecoming events with groups that did, just like everyone else affiliated with IFC did.

The Big Train

« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2015, 11:41:47 PM »
i was never in a fraternity but i was on athletic teams in college that basically functioned the same way.  there is a brotherhood that does develop between people that you are around for ~8+ hours a day.  i am about as open minded to ideas and stuff as they come, but the issue of racist is still one that i have difficulty comprehending.  there has been racism as far back as recorded human history, for a number of different reasons, skin color, religion, group affiliation etc.

what is so confusing to me is that every single country in the world has different races, religions etc, yet we still have racism.  how can you look at another human and feel like they are an inferior human, it just baffles me.  maybe its how you were raised or the culture you were brought up in, maybe its because you are not educated enough to know that genetically everyone is pretty much the same.  idk.  the fact that it still exists just blows my mind.  i dont know if racism will ever truly be gone because of the way people are inherently wired, but i rough ridin' hope we get there at some point.

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2015, 11:45:54 PM »
There are a lot of racists out there, if I had to guess I'd say there are more racists than non-racists, so when people put it on display it doesn't surprise me much.  There really isn't anyway to legislate morality, the n-word will probably be said a bazillions times tomorrow alone.  Human flaws and sins are here to stay.

Your guess is moronic. I don't think I have ever read a post of yours that wasn't total dog crap.

You obviously haven't spent much time experiencing what a white man sees and hears on a daily basis.
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2015, 12:10:19 AM »
Yeah, this is absolutely the thread to deal with this stupidity. First of all I'm going to assume that you and cartier are talking about different things because he said greek organizations and you are talking about the greek system. When I was in college I was in a social greek fraternity that was a men's organization. I was also a member of a greek service fraternity that was a coed organization. I attempted to get into an academic honor fraternity, Phi Beta Kappa, but unfortunately I did not get in. I would think that attending a four year college one would know the variety and differences in greek organizations and not group them all together as if they are some homogeneous unit. Asking why greek organizations exist is why asking why there is the need for all groups and clubs, its absolutely a stupid premise.

I'm referring specifically to fraternities and fraternities governed by campus organizations such as IFC and Panhell - I was on my phone and didn't feel like typing it out. I don't know anything about other "Greek" organizations.

How is a fraternity any different that a floor of a resident hall that is really organized?

Well, a couple things you won't find on an organized resident hall floor (or the frisbee club or multicultural organization or even the college republicans):

1) Songs with the word "n-word" in them passed down for years
2) Mental and physical abuse for new members of the floor (again, passed down for generations - probably even longer than the song for most)
3) Kicking someone off the floor for being gay

You'd also probably see less philanthropic activity as well, but residence halls don't have problems like I mentioned to burden them moving forward - crap like calling someone a "spic" won't fly in those organizations because they don't have the secrecy or exclusion on a scale of fraternities. I'll concede that social fraternities (such as SAE or whatever) have a purpose, but I don't think the positives of that purpose outweigh the negatives.

Also, I'll concede that not every fraternity or sorority participates in bullshit like hazing and homophobia, but they all tolerate it on some level. My fraternity didn't tolerate that nonsense internally, but I'll be damned if we didn't participate in things such as homecoming events with groups that did, just like everyone else affiliated with IFC did.

If that's your definition of tolerating homophobia that's a total cop out way to shove everyone in IFC, Panhellenic, and Pan-Hellenic under the same umbrella (yes for those who don't know panhellenic and pan-hellenic are different bodies, the former governs sororities and the latter governs multicultural fraternities and sororities at K-State and most schools they are all a part of Greek Affairs) Frankly using that standard we all tolerate racism, sexism, and homophobia on some level. Should all groups that receive SGA funding be damned because there are secular groups on campus that receive the same funding that have members that don't believe in equal rights for those that aren't heterosexual? There are homophobes, racists, and sexists posting on this board everyday, should we all leave until we can filter out those who don't fall into these categories? Not to mention most people who fall into these categories don't consider themselves in those categories.

Unless you are claiming that there is overt racism, sexism, and/or homophobia within Kansas State greek affairs that people see but no one deals with then your last point stinks.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2015, 12:11:43 AM »

You obviously haven't spent much time experiencing what a white man sees and hears on a daily basis.

I don't know how that's possible since people of color can't be racist.

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2015, 12:20:55 AM »

I say there are a lot of racists out there
U say that's moronic
I say that you wouldn't know because you don't see and hear all the racism that a white man does.
U say poc's can't be racist 
I say re-read my posts without pre-judging them and you will understand them better.

The Big Train

« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2015, 12:25:23 AM »
whoever is running this sock is getting demolished and I feel bad for you

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2015, 12:29:56 AM »
If that's your definition of tolerating homophobia that's a total cop out way to shove everyone in IFC, Panhellenic, and Pan-Hellenic under the same umbrella (yes for those who don't know panhellenic and pan-hellenic are different bodies, the former governs sororities and the latter governs multicultural fraternities and sororities at K-State and most schools they are all a part of Greek Affairs) Frankly using that standard we all tolerate racism, sexism, and homophobia on some level. Should all groups that receive SGA funding be damned because there are secular groups on campus that receive the same funding that have members that don't believe in equal rights for those that aren't heterosexual? There are homophobes, racists, and sexists posting on this board everyday, should we all leave until we can filter out those who don't fall into these categories? Not to mention most people who fall into these categories don't consider themselves in those categories.

Unless you are claiming that there is overt racism, sexism, and/or homophobia within Kansas State greek affairs that people see but no one deals with then your last point stinks.

Jesus Christ I'm not including multicultural fraternities because I admit I know nothing about them (as I mentioned in my last post)

And fair or not, IFC members ARE under the same umbrella. They are in charge of regulating their own, and bad crap still exists among their members all the time (even among chapters/members in good standing). If you can point to any other campus organization (or group of organizations) with so much ritualized hazing, racism, and homophobia, then yes, I'd argue the negatives of those organizations also outweigh their positives.

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2015, 12:32:37 AM »
whoever is running this sock is getting demolished and I feel bad for you

What?

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2015, 12:36:26 AM »
Holy crap... these fools just keep falling deeper and deeper into it.

http://totalfratmove.com/lets-see-how-many-times-the-ou-sae-house-mom-can-say-ngga-in-one-vine/

:facepalm:
bears are fast...

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2015, 01:36:39 AM »

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2015, 01:37:36 AM »

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2015, 01:40:14 AM »
  there has been racism as far back as recorded human history, for a number of different reasons, skin color, religion, group affiliation etc.

what is so confusing to me is that every single country in the world has different races, religions etc, yet we still have racism.  how can you look at another human and feel like they are an inferior human, it just baffles me.  maybe its how you were raised or the culture you were brought up in, maybe its because you are not educated enough to know that genetically everyone is pretty much the same.  idk.  the fact that it still exists just blows my mind.  i dont know if racism will ever truly be gone because of the way people are inherently wired, but i rough ridin' hope we get there at some point.

Social equality will never exist. The minority will always loose. If you are certain race and go to another country or region where you the minority, you are considered the outcast. That is something that people cant comprehend. Racism is terrible, any from of discrimination is terrible, but it will always be a thing. People should be treated equally to the fullest extent but nothing will ever be 100% equal.
@Trogdor_gE

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2015, 01:50:12 AM »

Jesus Christ I'm not including multicultural fraternities because I admit I know nothing about them (as I mentioned in my last post)

And fair or not, IFC members ARE under the same umbrella. They are in charge of regulating their own, and bad crap still exists among their members all the time (even among chapters/members in good standing). If you can point to any other campus organization (or group of organizations) with so much ritualized hazing, racism, and homophobia, then yes, I'd argue the negatives of those organizations also outweigh their positives.

So in your mind rather than policing the bad apples you're in favor of an outright ban on freedom of association in this context?  Seems reasonable.  Rusty thinks that maybe generally speaking they're potentially a net negative so let's rough ridin' call it everybody.  He doesn't see a use for them anymore so nobody else gets the option.  Sorry, but that's just the way it is. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2015, 03:50:24 AM »

You can play this game with literally any group. If all fraternities have to wear the burden of ritualized hazing, racism, and homophobia then all sports have to wear the burden of violence, bullying, educational misconduct, misogyny, and chronic sexual assault. All message boards have to wear the burden of bullying, racism, homophobia, misogyny, religious bigotry, and ageism. I have a feeling your stances on these groups aren't as strong. I'm guessing you aren't willing to off sports and communication via the world wide web.

I'm sure you'll continue on this path though, it's stunning how you either don't see or just choose to ignore the inconsistencies and hypocrisy of your stance.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2015, 04:00:20 AM »

I say there are a lot of racists out there
U say that's moronic
I say that you wouldn't know because you don't see and hear all the racism that a white man does.
U say poc's can't be racist 
I say re-read my posts without pre-judging them and you will understand them better.

You don't understand what I just did to you because you very well may be brain dead. Are you one of those people that doctors are experimenting full body transplants on?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2015, 04:05:13 AM »
I'm using the internet to bully what's clearly a really bad parody account. All device users allowed this to happen, end the internet now.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2015, 04:39:18 AM »
Waka Flocka Flame canceled his concert at the OU SAE next month.

http://www.oudaily.com/l_and_a/waka-flocka-cancels-sigma-alpha-epsilon-party-performance/article_38659fa6-c688-11e4-a4b4-eb7959133f01.html

I'm really interested why they wanted a black rapper at a jungle party. 

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2015, 04:45:27 AM »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2015, 05:29:54 AM »
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jean-delance-oklahoma-racist-chant

Recruit decommits.
I love that he is excited to have gotten an offer from Alabama, which is a well known open/non-racisty option for him.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2015, 06:24:30 AM »
Hey Waka Flocka: doesn't matter if you officially cancel or not, cuz there isn't a venue anymore. :/
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2015, 06:26:12 AM »
That vine is frightening.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2015, 06:50:16 AM »

Personally, I think that's a pretty big leap that requires some manipulation of the definition of "racist".  Are you claiming that one has to be in the majority to be a racist?  I'm not trying to argue here... Just trying to understand exactly where you're drawing the line.

Dictionaries define the word "racism" as follows:

The Oxford English Dictionary defines racism as the "belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races" and the expression of such prejudice,

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines it as a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority or inferiority of a particular racial group, and alternatively that it is also the prejudice based on such a belief.

The Macquarie Dictionary defines racism as: "the belief that human races have distinctive characteristics which determine their respective cultures, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule or dominate others."

You'll get no argument from me that what the SAE's at OU did was "racist".  However, with that said, I also saw a great deal of backlash and statements made by people of color over the past two days that I would consider as blatantly racist toward Caucasians as a whole...  Perhaps there's a loophole in the definition that I'm missing and it doesn't fall into "racism" so much as extreme segregational, xenophobic prejudice. 

Do I have to be hurt by their stupidity for it to be racist?  Or where exactly is that line drawn?  Surely you can see that there are people on both sides of the racial battle that are wholly and unabashedly wrong in their beliefs and actions.
bears are fast...

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2015, 07:20:32 AM »
the common social justice definition/addition of 'prejudice plus power'