Author Topic: The new and now only oscar Weber replacement thread . . .  (Read 16047 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The new and now only oscar Weber replacement thread . . .
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
If Marshall leaves wsu how much do they offer brad

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2015, 08:55:43 PM »

I don't know why Marshall would ever leave WSU. It's a new ballgame - he's in better shape than basically all non-blue bloods.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2015, 09:00:51 PM »
Yeah, we need Texas to play well this week #hookem

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2015, 09:06:18 PM »

I don't know why Marshall would ever leave WSU. It's a new ballgame - he's in better shape than basically all non-blue bloods.
Ego. 

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2015, 12:27:45 AM »

Ego.

And I'll bet Marshall has plenty of ego.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 12:30:31 AM »
All coaches have massive egos. Marshall isn't going anywhere unless a blue blood comes calling. And he probably shouldn't.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2015, 12:33:57 AM »
All coaches have massive egos. Marshall isn't going anywhere unless a blue blood comes calling. And he probably shouldn't.

Agreed. Marshall has it made where he is. But it will be hard for him to resist the school that wants to dump millions more than WSU can afford in his lap.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2015, 12:36:58 AM »

basketball is so weird
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2015, 12:39:16 AM »

Agreed. Marshall has it made where he is. But it will be hard for him to resist the school that wants to dump millions more than WSU can afford in his lap.

There aren't many non blue bloods that will do that, considering he's already pretty close to $2 million. And the security/goodwill he's built up in Wichita is worth a lot. Rebuilding ain't easy.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2015, 12:54:02 AM »
i'll add another possible candidate...

chris jans, current bowling green coach, would be a home-run hire for k-state. in his first season at bgsu, he's led them to a 19-10 (11-7 MAC) record and has a chance to reach 20 wins if they win as expected on monday. bowling's kenpom rating is 86th, highest in more than a decade, after being mostly in the 150s to 240s the last 10 years. the turnaround has been far quicker than anybody could have expected.

jans spent eight years working as an assistant under marshall at wichita, and also had a previous stint at independence, so he's very familiar with kansas. he's been a head coach at five schools (one or two year stints at all), and is 175-51 overall (he's never won fewer than 20 games at any stop, and has 25-plus wins in four of seven seasons).

anyway, the guy is impressive. would be a good option for 2016-17.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:58:38 AM by j rake »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2015, 04:05:53 AM »
Jans is pretty good. Boring, slow bball though. <---- not really so boring if you're good.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2015, 04:52:13 AM »
I'd take Marshall. 

He's better than oscar.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2015, 05:46:15 AM »

There aren't many non blue bloods that will do that, considering he's already pretty close to $2 million. And the security/goodwill he's built up in Wichita is worth a lot. Rebuilding ain't easy.
I was thinking Indiana, Texas.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2015, 06:49:58 AM »

I was thinking Indiana, Texas.

Double G Gregg wouldn't make it through his first press conference at texas.  He couldn't even handle the limelight when they got themselves a 1 seed.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »
Kevin Keatts at UNCW might be one to keep an eye on, prior to UNCW he was the Associate HC at Louisville.  He took the same team that Buzz Peterson couldn't do a thing with and they finished 2nd in the CAA and will likely go to the NIT.   

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »
The play-by-play guy at WSU seems to think that Marshall would have interest in Texas. Gregg would build an absolute monster at UT, would be scary. I bet he would take this year's team and make them at least 5 games better.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2015, 12:24:33 PM »
The play-by-play guy at WSU seems to think that Marshall would have interest in Texas. Gregg would build an absolute monster at UT, would be scary. I bet he would take this year's team and make them at least 5 games better.
and his "abrasive" personality would be a better fit there than most blue bloods imo.  Really, his act (or anyone's for that matter) will be accepted as long as he wins.  Hell, the hard core UT bb fans will embrace Gregg's total departure from Barnes' cool and detached style.  I just hope UT's AD doesn't rely on his NBA background goes with a Kevin O'Neill or Eddie Jordan type.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »

I think this is about right.  Don't forget that no college program could successfully lure Brad Stevens away either.  Basketball simply is not THAT big of a revenue generator, even for the largest schools.  To the extent most bigger schools could afford to pay more than $2 million to a BBall coach, that money is going toward getting a better FB coach or facilities since FB is probably 90% of what drives conference alignment, TV revenue, etc.

Unless Marshall is just sick of living in Wichita, I do not see why he would go anywhere else at least at the college level.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2015, 12:44:21 PM »
and his "abrasive" personality would be a better fit there than most blue bloods imo.  Really, his act (or anyone's for that matter) will be accepted as long as he wins.  Hell, the hard core UT bb fans will embrace Gregg's total departure from Barnes' cool and detached style.  I just hope UT's AD doesn't rely on his NBA background goes with a Kevin O'Neill or Eddie Jordan type.

I doubt that all five or six of the "hardcore UT bb fans" would have much of an impact on a UT coaching search.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »

I doubt that all five or six of the "hardcore UT bb fans" would have much of an impact on a UT coaching search.

we don't have to resort to lazy talking points here

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »
tom crean is 120-107 overall (49-75 Big Ten) in seven years at indiana, has two ncaa tourney appearances, and has finished better than fifth in the Big Ten only once. last year, he finished tied for eighth. this year, seventh. he's likely to miss the tourney again this year.

and he'll almost surely be back for an eighth season.

oscar probably has similar job security, we just don't know it yet.

Here in Bloomington, people have set up a buyout clock website (http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/03/05/indiana-tom-crean-buyout-clock) for Crean. Just because their football program is a dumpster fire, of course he will be back. K-State doesn't have to have that...

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2015/3/9/8175545/indiana-basketball-fans-continue-to-have-no-chill-chant-tom-crean

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »
i sent tom crean an email in 2009, complimenting his coaching job against oscar weber's illinois team.

indiana lost that game 65-52, fell behind by as many as 20, and didn't even cover the spread.

crean sent me this anyway... :lol:

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »
tom crean is 120-107 overall (49-75 Big Ten) in seven years at indiana, has two ncaa tourney appearances, and has finished better than fifth in the Big Ten only once. last year, he finished tied for eighth. this year, seventh. he's likely to miss the tourney again this year.

and he'll almost surely be back for an eighth season.

oscar probably has similar job security, we just don't know it yet.

Here in Bloomington, people have set up a buyout clock website (http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/03/05/indiana-tom-crean-buyout-clock) for Crean. Just because their football program is a dumpster fire, of course he will be back. K-State doesn't have to have that...

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2015/3/9/8175545/indiana-basketball-fans-continue-to-have-no-chill-chant-tom-crean
Indiana deserves bad basketball.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2015, 01:20:41 PM »
i sent tom crean an email in 2009, complimenting his coaching job against oscar weber's illinois team.

indiana lost that game 65-52, fell behind by as many as 20, and didn't even cover the spread.

you used to go on and on about what an amazing coach he was

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »

:lol:

OT: I have to share a "regular" story with you, but couldn't remember for sure what your @ was and didn't even know where to search for the original story on here.