Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4069504 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #24350 on: April 16, 2013, 04:09:53 PM »
Sorry, my post was poorly written. The rumor I was addressing was the rumor of NC bringing Duke. I didn't mean the gentlemans agreement was the rumor, I think that's a much bigger unspoken known than a rumor.

The reason I said that is because I didn't want to make it sound like I was throwing out duke going SEC because of the rumor itself.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24351 on: April 16, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »
So, with the new want for money, does UNC go to the SEC?  If so, do they take Duke with them? I don't believe the rumors, but if Florida doesn't want FSU, who is a better option than Duke for their network?  Is it the 1-2 extra good FB games available to the SEC network by adding VaTech or 5-6 BB games from Duke?

Duke/UNC would be a homerun that would potentially boost the basketball profile of the SEC and give tons of valuable content for the SEC network.

They would also boost profiles for a ton of non-revenue sports as well.
I still think UNC knows that the SEC is going to be in North Carolina one way or the other and is smartly going to take it to keep NCSU out.  Duke is a weird fit for the SEC but they don't have a lot of choice (Stay with ACC remnants? drop down to D2 in FB and join the new Big East?).  IF the SEC takes the tobacco road combo the Big 12 could make out like gangbusters.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #24352 on: April 16, 2013, 04:28:34 PM »
So, with the new want for money, does UNC go to the SEC?  If so, do they take Duke with them? I don't believe the rumors, but if Florida doesn't want FSU, who is a better option than Duke for their network?  Is it the 1-2 extra good FB games available to the SEC network by adding VaTech or 5-6 BB games from Duke?

Duke/UNC would be a homerun that would potentially boost the basketball profile of the SEC and give tons of valuable content for the SEC network.

They would also boost profiles for a ton of non-revenue sports as well.
I still think UNC knows that the SEC is going to be in North Carolina one way or the other and is smartly going to take it to keep NCSU out.  Duke is a weird fit for the SEC but they don't have a lot of choice (Stay with ACC remnants? drop down to D2 in FB and join the new Big East?).  IF the SEC takes the tobacco road combo the Big 12 could make out like gangbusters.

2 things:

1) UNC has plants on the NC St. Board of Regents.  NC State isn't doing anything UNC doesn't want them to do.

2) Duke is putting $250 million into athletics upgrades, and a sizeable chunk of that is moving the track to a new location and renovating Wallace Wade.

Renovations to Duke’s football and basketball stadiums and construction of a new track stadium highlight a $250 million capital campaign for the athletic department. The projects are part of Duke’s recently announced $3.25 billion fundraising effort, Duke Forward: Partnering for the Future.

Citing a broadly felt desire to “raise the bar” of the football program, the plan calls for the addition of more than 700 club seats and 20 suites, new entryways, concessions and restrooms and the removal of the track surrounding the field, which will eventually allow for the closure of the lower seating bowl. The capacity will increase to nearly 44,000, about 10,000 more than Wallace Wade currently holds.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/01/2381338/upgrades-planned-for-dukes-football.html#storylink=cpy

All Duke needs to do is not be a total embarrassment.  They'll be held to Vandy standards.

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24353 on: April 16, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »

My understanding is that there is a "Gentlemen's agreement" that the SEC would not add any in-state rival since the schools currently in the SEC feel that being in the top conference is an advantage (means no Miami, no Florida State, no Georgia Tech, and no Clemson.)

Memphis would be a perfect fit, but their football program is a glorified dumpster fire. UNC would also be a good fit, but I don't see them going w/o Duke.

Yeah. Memphis is in Tennessee. So is Tennessee, which would violate the SEC's "gentleman's agreement."

Has Memphis ever fielded anything close to a quality football team?

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24354 on: April 17, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
All Duke needs to do is not be a total embarrassment.  They'll be held to Vandy standards.

So you're saying that KU will never be considered by the SEC?

Offline GBEMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24355 on: April 17, 2013, 06:44:08 PM »

My understanding is that there is a "Gentlemen's agreement" that the SEC would not add any in-state rival since the schools currently in the SEC feel that being in the top conference is an advantage (means no Miami, no Florida State, no Georgia Tech, and no Clemson.)

Memphis would be a perfect fit, but their football program is a glorified dumpster fire. UNC would also be a good fit, but I don't see them going w/o Duke.

Yeah. Memphis is in Tennessee. So is Tennessee, which would violate the SEC's "gentleman's agreement."

Has Memphis ever fielded anything close to a quality football team?

:excited:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24356 on: April 17, 2013, 09:43:06 PM »
Bowlsby: Big 12 still not looking to expand
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

AUSTIN — Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Tuesday he believes “calmer heads are prevailing” in the world of major college conference realignment, and insisted his league feels no pressure to expand beyond its current 10-school alignment.

“No one has proven to me larger is better,” Bowlsby said.

Bowlsby, who joined former Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe on a panel speaking to about 200 students at Texas’ college of communications Tuesday, said the Big 12 continues to believe that its small size is a strength. He said he expects his league to pay about as much to its members as the Southeastern Conference, even after the SEC’s lucrative network partnership with ESPN takes effect.

“We’re not at 10 by default,” Bowlsby said. “We’re at 10 by choice. I think until we’re persuaded to do otherwise, that’s where we’ll continue to stay.”

Among other issues Bowlsby and Beebe discussed Tuesday:
•Beebe, who was replaced as Big 12 commissioner as part of the fallout from Texas A&M and Missouri leaving the league, said it was a “validation” that the conference’s schools later agreed to a grant of rights, which he’d advocated all along. “I feel like the conference was driving over a cliff, and they turned the bus around and ran me over.”
•Bowlsby said providing student-athletes with a “cost of attendance” stipend of about $2,000 per year is worth considering, but disputes the idea that football players should receive more because their sport generates the vast majority of athletic departments’ revenue. “Football players don’t work harder than swimmers do,” Bowlsby said. “Track athletes work as hard as basketball players.”
•Bowlsby also was blunt about his hesitance to pay athletes any more than the cost of attendance. “There’s a place you can go to be paid to play. There are a lot of places. If that’s you’re motivation, you should do it.”
•Earlier this year, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany made headlines when he said the Ed O’Bannon antitrust lawsuit — in which players are asking for a portion of revenue generated by TV contracts and video games — could wreck college athletics to a point in which major programs could be forced to play Division III football. Bowlsby rolled his eyes at that sentiment, and said the worst-case outcome for the NCAA wouldn’t be that bad. “Would it change the way we do business? Yes,” Bowlsby said. “Does it create an Armageddon situation? I’m not sure it does.”
•Bowlsby, who’s working with other commissioners on ironing out plans for college football’s new four-team playoff, said he doesn’t want it to be over-commercialized. “We want it to be more like the Masters than NASCAR,” Bowlsby said.
•Bowlsby said conferences should be wary about trying to poach schools from conferences like the Big East and the ACC, calling realignment a “zero-sum game.” “Engulf and devour doesn’t work,” he said.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24357 on: April 17, 2013, 10:46:32 PM »
He is just saying that. After the Maryland stuff is settled the SEC and big 10 will kill off the ACC  :pray: and we will clean up the scraps we want.  :pray:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24358 on: April 17, 2013, 11:33:46 PM »
I just realized that the SEC network is probably going to be based in a state where they don't have a member school.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24359 on: April 18, 2013, 12:00:30 PM »
I just realized that the SEC network is probably going to be based in a state where they don't have a member school.
This ^ is partly why I don't think the bolded below is going to hold true and will UNC will eventually go the SEC.

1) UNC has plants on the NC St. Board of Regents.  NC State isn't doing anything UNC doesn't want them to do.

Then you add in today's announcement that the pipe dream of ND joining the ACC in full is off the table with ND extending the NBC deal to 2025
http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/sports/nbcsports/pressreleases?pr=contents/press-releases/2013/04/18/notredamenbcspo1366299482518.xml

It is going to be impossible for the UNC powerbrokers that want to keep the ACC together to also keep NCSU out of the SEC.  The SEC money is too big to ignore and I could see the SEC dangling the network headquarters to emphasize the financial benefits of having the SEC in the state.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24360 on: April 18, 2013, 12:07:36 PM »
I'd take NC State as leftovers

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24361 on: April 18, 2013, 12:08:51 PM »

Only happens if UNC goes to the SEC. I don't see it happening sd.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24362 on: April 18, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »

I'm with Pan and don't think UNC goes BigTen. They can still get a large jump in money, probably take Duke with them, and increase their FB profile by going with the SEC.  Unless the UP gets involved and forces UNC to the CIC if they move, the SEC seems like they can give UNC all they want with a much better fit and the opportunity to bring Duke with them.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24363 on: April 18, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »

I'm with Pan and don't think UNC goes BigTen. They can still get a large jump in money, probably take Duke with them, and increase their FB profile by going with the SEC.  Unless the UP gets involved and forces UNC to the CIC if they move, the SEC seems like they can give UNC all they want with a much better fit and the opportunity to bring Duke with them.
I agree with all the above and add if UNC goes BigTen then NCSU is in like flynn with the SEC and that could be a disaster for UNC in the long run.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24364 on: April 18, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »
Also, if you are UNC who would you rather have in you BB division:

Duke, Kentucky, Florida or Michigan, Mich St, and Ohio St. I would say for UNC: Duke>Mich, Kentucky>Mich St, and Florida/Ohio St is a wash.  Plus, if they take Duke, their 3 rivals in the SEC would be a combined 975 miles away, in the BigTen it would be just over 1,800 miles.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:55:10 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24365 on: April 18, 2013, 01:51:14 PM »
UNC is a Southern school and wouldn't want to associate with those Yankees in Michigan and Ohio.

It's a cultural thing.

The Big Ten is going to shake another team or two loose, the SEC will eventually get UNC and Duke (or if UNC doesn't care about Duke, VT), and we'll shake a couple of schools loose (Probably Miami/Clemson and FSU).

The ACC probably won't die.  They'll probably lose six schools and add four from the AAC to get back to 12. ND can still be the 13th member of the ACC and get their scheduling agreements

Then we'll probably hit stasis for a while.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24366 on: April 18, 2013, 02:07:36 PM »
I see the SEC going for UNC and UVA. VT and Duke aren't the flagship programs they are trying to build their model off of.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24367 on: April 18, 2013, 02:15:40 PM »
NC State doesn't have its own board, they fall under the UNC System Board of Governors.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24368 on: April 18, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »
I see the SEC going for UNC and UVA. VT and Duke aren't the flagship programs they are trying to build their model off of.

VT is a much better SEC fit than UVA on a number of levels.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24369 on: April 18, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »

UVA gives off the NE Lax bro vibe while VT is move of a "I've got some moonshine back at my place for afterhours"

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24370 on: April 18, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »

UVA gives off the NE Lax bro vibe while VT is move of a "I've got some moonshine back at my place for afterhours"

You hit most of the levels.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24371 on: April 19, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »
UNC is a Southern school and wouldn't want to associate with those Yankees in Michigan and Ohio.

It's a cultural thing.

The Big Ten is going to shake another team or two loose, the SEC will eventually get UNC and Duke (or if UNC doesn't care about Duke, VT), and we'll shake a couple of schools loose (Probably Miami/Clemson and FSU).

The ACC probably won't die.  They'll probably lose six schools and add four from the AAC to get back to 12. ND can still be the 13th member of the ACC and get their scheduling agreements

Then we'll probably hit stasis for a while.

The fun starts when we try to take only 2, they push for more from the south, and WVU starts pushing from the inside to go to 16 and get some from the Louisville, VaTech, and Pitt group.  The rumors and leaks are going to be a blast if the Big10 & SEC start poaching.   

Also, further proof the dude is an idiot. He's trying to spread that ND can take the ACCs spot in the OB. The actual set up is the 8 years its not a semifinal it's always the ACC, Big10 2nd 3 times, SEC 2nd 3 times, and ND twice. It's actually better for the ACC when it plays ND because ND only gets 1/2 the opponent payout and the ACC gets an extra $14MM.  When he starts trying to spread around pro-WVU info and people spread it as truth it really going to get fun.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:43:00 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24372 on: April 19, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »

You hit most of the levels.

UVA has the money, prestige and market potential.

VT is like Texas Tech, UVA is UT.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24373 on: April 19, 2013, 10:13:13 PM »
McMurphyESPN: Legends, Leaders gone in 2014 sources tell @espn. big 10 East: IU, Md, Mich, MSU, OSU, PSU, RU; West: Ill, Iowa, Minn, Neb, NW, PU, Wis
more evidence the big ten will not stay at14 with these unbalanced divisions.  Neb may have an easy path to division titles but woof at what those home schedules are  going to look like.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24374 on: April 19, 2013, 10:55:29 PM »
McMurphyESPN: Legends, Leaders gone in 2014 sources tell @espn. big 10 East: IU, Md, Mich, MSU, OSU, PSU, RU; West: Ill, Iowa, Minn, Neb, NW, PU, Wis
more evidence the big ten will not stay at14 with these unbalanced divisions.  Neb may have an easy path to division titles but woof at what those home schedules are  going to look like.
Yea west division is pretty gross.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.