Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068666 times)

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #24325 on: April 11, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »
I caught up on the WVU Scout board where the "Dude" hangs out.

Those people have lost their minds.  They're all convinced the Big Ten is going to have somewhere between 18-24 schools in 2016.

I mean, I don't even....

Yeah, used to follow that board daily about a year ago and check in from time to time.

They are all standing on a soap box seeing who can yell the craziest thing the loudest.

I think the 16 team thing is dumb, but it makes sense with certain business models.

But 18 is a stretch.  I can see how it could work, but it would be pretty awful.

16 is better than 14 imo.

I disagree. The higher you go, the worse it is. 16 teams in one conference is ridiculous, and so is 14.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24326 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »
I think it would be best to just round up K-State, Texas, OU and OkState into a conference and call it good.

Edit: We could have a round-robin and divisional champs with championship game, etc.
Edit Edit: Oklahoma division and Polar division  :dunno:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24327 on: April 11, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
I caught up on the WVU Scout board where the "Dude" hangs out.

Those people have lost their minds.  They're all convinced the Big Ten is going to have somewhere between 18-24 schools in 2016.

I mean, I don't even....

Yeah, used to follow that board daily about a year ago and check in from time to time.

They are all standing on a soap box seeing who can yell the craziest thing the loudest.

I think the 16 team thing is dumb, but it makes sense with certain business models.

But 18 is a stretch.  I can see how it could work, but it would be pretty awful.

16 is better than 14 imo.

I disagree. The higher you go, the worse it is. 16 teams in one conference is ridiculous, and so is 14.

I think scheduling for pods is better than 7 team divisions. Both suck though. 10 or anything with round robin is my favorite. I wish 10 was seemed as having longterm stability.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24328 on: April 11, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »
I think it would be best to just round up K-State, Texas, OU and OkState into a conference and call it good.

Edit: We could have a round-robin and divisional champs with championship game, etc.

Payout would be massive and we could play awesome non-con schedules.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24329 on: April 11, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »

Double round robin to seed the 2 game playoff for the championship game.  Winner of the championship game gets the NC and the loser plays SEC in Champions bowl.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24330 on: April 11, 2013, 06:02:45 PM »
Someone figure out how many NC's we'd have if that were real.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24331 on: April 12, 2013, 10:00:17 AM »
16 teams and the bottom four get sent down to the Missouri Valley every season.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24332 on: April 12, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »

There was an article awhile back about how college athletics could be put on a relegation system all the way down to the NAIA.  I will see if I can find it.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24333 on: April 12, 2013, 11:41:03 AM »

There was an article awhile back about how college athletics could be put on a relegation system all the way down to the NAIA.  I will see if I can find it.

What would determine this?  Football? Basketball? Both together or could Kansas (for example) be Big 12 for basketball and KCAC or whatever for football?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24334 on: April 12, 2013, 02:46:57 PM »

What would determine this?  Football? Basketball? Both together or could Kansas (for example) be Big 12 for basketball and KCAC or whatever for football?

it was an article on football. Also this will never ever ever happen.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #24335 on: April 15, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/2013/04/unc-ad-i-want-to-increase-athletic.html

University of North Carolina Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham wants to increase the UNC-Chapel Hill’s athletic department revenue by more than 40 percent.

Doing so would allow the university to compete more regularly at the highest level, he says.

The Tar Heels operate on just more than $70 million for 28 sports (13 men’s and 15 women’s). While that’s a nice chunk of change, it’s less than other major universities like Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan, Florida, Ohio State and Texas, all of which, except Ohio State, offer fewer total sports.

Motive.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24336 on: April 15, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
It may be motive, but it's not going to happen.  ( :cry:)

UNC wants to stay in the ACC.  As long as they stay, UVA and GT will stay.  As long as UVA stays, Va Tech can't go. As long as UNC stays, NC State can't go.  Duke, Wake, BC, Cuse, Pitt, Lville have no where else to go.  As long as the rest of the conference is staying intact, I don't see Miami or Clemson wanting to go.

That just leaves FSU as a possible transfer. The SEC isn't going to invite them.  The Big Ten may not invite them anyway, but they sure won't invite FSU by themselves.  With the rest of the conference staying intact, FSU's only option will likely be the Big 12 and I think they would choose to stay in the ACC rather than come join us by themselves.

I think the ACC has successfully circled the wagons and will stand strong, just like the Big 12 did.  In a few years when things cycle up for them, the ACC will replace the Big 12 in the Group of Four.  By the end of the GOR, UT and OU will be looking to get out.  ISU, KSU, BU, TCU and maybe WVU will be left holding the bag when KU goes to the Big Ten and UT/TT/OU/OSU go to the PAC.

(It's Monday and I'm in a bad mood.)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24337 on: April 15, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
If after surviving two raids and thinking it would be the ACC to go under and not us, only to be the one to die would just be crushing.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #24338 on: April 15, 2013, 08:26:28 PM »
has the Maryland buyout been finalized yet?  seems like it'll probably pick up again after that goes through. the big 12 is partnered with the sec and isn't going to be passed over by the ACC. lol at that notion.
emaw

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24339 on: April 15, 2013, 08:42:59 PM »
has the Maryland buyout been finalized yet?  seems like it'll probably pick up again after that goes through. the big 12 is partnered with the sec and isn't going to be passed over by the ACC. lol at that notion.

The PAC 12 tried an alliance with us and then tried to raid our ass.

Once the ACC dam breaks, it's over.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24340 on: April 16, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
http://clemson.scout.com/2/1284066.html

Clemson President (pro-ACC) stepping down.

IMO, if the Big Ten steals one or two teams, I'd go hard at Clemson and/or Miami and see if it shakes the tree.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #24341 on: April 16, 2013, 01:17:25 PM »

IMO, if the Big Ten steals one or two teams, I'd go hard at Clemson and/or Miami and see if it shakes the tree.

I am really hoping that the lack of AAU membership will rule out FSU for the Big Ten.  However it's possible (probable?) that the rumors about the Big Ten considering FSU are merely there to scare UNC/UVA into taking the bait.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24342 on: April 16, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »

I am really hoping that the lack of AAU membership will rule out FSU for the Big Ten.  However it's possible (probable?) that the rumors about the Big Ten considering FSU are merely there to scare UNC/UVA into taking the bait.

I've kind of moved beyond believing any of the rumors.  I think the Big Ten likes Virginia because it's a flagship in a big state, it's an AAU school, and it's contiguous.  Checks off all of the boxes.

I think they obviously like UNC, but I don't think that's a good fit, culturally, for either party.  I personally feel like UConn or BC is going to end up in the Big Ten before it's all said and done.  Don't forget; the Big Ten is starting it's own hockey league, and it's only got six members thus far.

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24343 on: April 16, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
BC ? I thought most ITK folks feel Boston / New England  is/are lousy college viewership areas.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24344 on: April 16, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »
BC ? I thought most ITK folks feel Boston / New England  is/are lousy college viewership areas.

So are Maryland and New Jersey, but that's not the point.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24345 on: April 16, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »
So, with the new want for money, does UNC go to the SEC?  If so, do they take Duke with them? I don't believe the rumors, but if Florida doesn't want FSU, who is a better option than Duke for their network?  Is it the 1-2 extra good FB games available to the SEC network by adding VaTech or 5-6 BB games from Duke?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24346 on: April 16, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »
So, with the new want for money, does UNC go to the SEC?  If so, do they take Duke with them? I don't believe the rumors, but if Florida doesn't want FSU, who is a better option than Duke for their network?  Is it the 1-2 extra good FB games available to the SEC network by adding VaTech or 5-6 BB games from Duke?

My understanding is that there is a "Gentlemen's agreement" that the SEC would not add any in-state rival since the schools currently in the SEC feel that being in the top conference is an advantage (means no Miami, no Florida State, no Georgia Tech, and no Clemson.)

Memphis would be a perfect fit, but their football program is a glorified dumpster fire. UNC would also be a good fit, but I don't see them going w/o Duke.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24347 on: April 16, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »

My understanding is that there is a "Gentlemen's agreement" that the SEC would not add any in-state rival since the schools currently in the SEC feel that being in the top conference is an advantage (means no Miami, no Florida State, no Georgia Tech, and no Clemson.)

Memphis would be a perfect fit, but their football program is a glorified dumpster fire. UNC would also be a good fit, but I don't see them going w/o Duke.

Yeah. Memphis is in Tennessee. So is Tennessee, which would violate the SEC's "gentleman's agreement."

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24348 on: April 16, 2013, 03:48:18 PM »
There is more value in the Duke games - Duke noncons vs Ga State and Elon were on ESPNU this past season.  Duke BB on the SEC network would be a tremendous carrot in getting carriage in the Northeast. 

The "gentleman's agreement" is about keeping Little Brother football programs Little Brother (or helping Big Bro backslide in the USC/Clemson relationship), adding Duke & UNC is a much different animal.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24349 on: April 16, 2013, 03:52:21 PM »

Duke/UNC would be a homerun that would potentially boost the basketball profile of the SEC and give tons of valuable content for the SEC network.

They would also boost profiles for a ton of non-revenue sports as well.