Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4070227 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #23725 on: December 13, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »
Doug Gottlieb @GottliebShow
How bad is Tulane's breathe? They show up at the Big East party and everyone leaves?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #23726 on: December 13, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »
The last few PANJ and PIMIR (Pseudo-Intellectual MakeItRain) posts:

I love you, dax.  Not joking.  That made me lol.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23728 on: December 13, 2012, 04:02:33 PM »
Bryan Fischer @BryanDFischer
RT @McMurphyESPN: Source tells @ESPNAndyKatz “decision is made” for hoops schools to leave Big East. Still must determine how & when

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #23729 on: December 13, 2012, 04:21:06 PM »
Doug Gottlieb @GottliebShow
How bad is Tulane's breathe? They show up at the Big East party and everyone leaves?
lulz I love you Doug.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23730 on: December 13, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
someone tell me what this Big East nonsense means. tia.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23731 on: December 13, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »
someone tell me what this Big East nonsense means. tia.
Yea, I wanta know too!  :sdeek:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23732 on: December 13, 2012, 07:11:24 PM »
People are saying that the football schools will be affected by the basketball only schools leaving the conference because, without the basketball only schools, the football schools would have to try to have to play their football games without the basketball only schools around any longer, which is obviously unfeasable.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23733 on: December 13, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »
People are saying that the football schools will be affected by the basketball only schools leaving the conference because, without the basketball only schools, the football schools would have to try to have to play their football games without the basketball only schools around any longer, which is obviously unfeasable.
So who will be the Big East, or will there be a Big East?  :dunno:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23734 on: December 13, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »
What matters is how this affects the TV money.  Does losing the basketball programs in the large cities reduce the value of the contract by more than what the aggregate payout to those 7 schools would have been?  Does the size of the pie shrink enough so that eventhough there are fewer slices, they still become smaller?  If this is the case, SDSU and Boise may return to the MWC. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23735 on: December 13, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
What matters is how this affects the TV money.  Does losing the basketball programs in the large cities reduce the value of the contract by more than what the aggregate payout to those 7 schools would have been?  Does the size of the pie shrink enough so that eventhough there are fewer slices, they still become smaller?  If this is the case, SDSU and Boise may return to the MWC.

They'll go back to the MWC.

Offline goldenticket

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23736 on: December 13, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Big East hoops schools can't dissolve league, sources told @espn. Can leave as group w/out paying exit fees, but must wait 27 months

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23737 on: December 13, 2012, 08:09:50 PM »
Big East hoops schools can't dissolve league, sources told @espn. Can leave as group w/out paying exit fees, but must wait 27 months
So no contract for the BB schools?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23738 on: December 13, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »
Sorry in advance for people who don't care but I'm going to post on this one more time.  I feel likeI know a little bit about this TV stuff so I can't help but post about it.  So if it bores you please stop now.

edn, you are right to think that losing talent can signal trouble for a show or network.  It's rare but it has happened, namely to CNNSI when they lost Dan Patrick and Fred Hickman to ESPN.  There are significant differences that don't make that applicable to ESPN today.

-CNNSI was a start up and Ted Turner/Time Warner didn't dedicate the resources to reasonable compete with ESPN.  At that point many media critics thought Sports Tonight was the better show so ESPN took the talent.
-Obviously, unlike CNNSI, ESPN would pay big for people they want to keep.
-Since the Dan Patrick/Keith Obermann losses ESPN have made a concerted effort to de-emphasize showcasing talent and focus on the shows, its why they rotate show hosts so often.
-Finally and most importantly, piggybacking the previous point, ESPN doesn't have much talent that if they lost would make any waves with viewer eyes and ears.  Here's the list of important on air talent.

+Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit, if FOX dedided to start a gameday type show and plucked one of these guys it would be killer.  I literally think that's it for TV.  The next most visible talents on TV are Dick Vitale and Chris Berman.  Both of these guys are characters more than talent you can build around, there would be no market for either of them.
+Mike and Mike and Colin Cowherd.  I don't like any of them but their radio shows draw bigger numbers than most of ESPN's television shows.  These are easily the two biggest shows on sports talk and Rome and Dan Patrick are way behind.  CBS starting national radio is worth watching here.
+Finally, on the .com side of course is Simmons.  He is starting to have a higher profile on TV as well.  He isn't going anywhere.  No one else who matters has any skin in the NBA and ESPN.com is even more dominant than ESPN tv in their space.  They won't have a challenger here before I get old balls.

Wilbon and Kornheiser are pretty important to the brand IMO.

PTI ratings are very very good, but I'm not sure how wanted W & K would fit somewhere else.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23739 on: December 14, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »
Proposed formation of Super Conferences is forecast in this 1990 Sports Business Journal article.  Interesting read.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/09/26/Colleges/Super-conference.aspx
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23740 on: December 14, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »
Proposed formation of Super Conferences is forecast in this 1990 Sports Business Journal article.  Interesting read.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/09/26/Colleges/Super-conference.aspx

That story has made the rounds the past couple of years.  It's pretty interesting.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23741 on: December 14, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »

That story has made the rounds the past couple of years.  It's pretty interesting.

Yeah, luke909.  What, you didn't read every page of this thread?  Sheesh.
:adios:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23742 on: December 14, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »
To me, the most interesting thing about the bb schools in the Big East dissolving the conference is what will Cincy and USF do.  I believe UConn will get into the ACC with the help of the state politicians calling in favors with ESPN but Cincy and USF are in troubs. 

Does the fact they are public schools get them into a conference (like the big 12  :ohno:  :barf:) just to avoid the political and legal fallout of them getting sent back to Conference USA? 

I know TT wanted to reset the shot clock but does he jump to Cincy if they are headed back to mid major status?  TT seems like a guy that would look before he lept  :dunno:

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23743 on: December 14, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »

Panjandrum can be very hurtful, but I probably deserved it though.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23744 on: December 14, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »

Panjandrum can be very hurtful, but I probably deserved it though.

:cheers:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23745 on: December 14, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »

you would think that there are lessons to be learned by the first superconference being dead as of the end of this bowl season

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23746 on: December 14, 2012, 11:00:53 PM »

you would think that there are lessons to be learned by the first superconference being dead as of the end of this bowl season

Agreed.

Lesson 1 - Don't pick shitty schools for your superconference.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23747 on: December 15, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »

The Big Ten has two different things going for it:

1) The network and other competitive media contracts and profitable bowl tie ins that make it financially feasible.
2) The CIC

The Big Ten has a strong chance of surviving because of the financial competitiveness and, even more than that, they have the academic bond of the CIC.

The SEC may make it work because they'll have the full weight of ESPN behind them, and no matter what they do in terms of expansion, it will be geographically feasible, and the core will always be intensely loyal.

No other conference has a chance.  The Pac-12 and Big 12 have multiple variables that wouldn't make this feasible.  We're better off going to twelve and staying there.  Even the ACC would be better off at 12.

After that, the rest of the conferences should ditch the CCG (which isn't worth that much money) and tighten up at 10 teams with geographically reasonable schools that maximize value.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23749 on: December 15, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »
Bye bye Big East.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8749700/seven-schools-decide-leave-big-east-pursue-new-basketball-framework
"The basketball institutions have notified us that they plan to withdraw from the Big East," commissioner Mike Aresco said in a statement. "The membership recognizes their contributions over the long distinguished history of the Big East. The 13 members of the conference are confident and united regarding our collective future."

The Big East still is lined up to have a 12-team football conference next season with six new members, including Boise State and San Diego State for football only. Rutgers and Louisville, which both announced intentions to leave the Big East, still are expected to compete in the conference next year.

"It is our responsibility to do our due diligence to put the university, to put our athletics program and to put our student-athletes and coaches in the best position possible, and right now we feel this is the best position possible," Georgetown athletics director Lee Reed said. "Right now, we feel this is our best opportunity to continue to excel in our broad-based, basketball-centric model. It's given us a lot of success and we're proud of it and we're excited about the future."

Notre Dame, which is moving to the Atlantic Coast Conference, is also expected to continue competing in the Big East next season in all sports but football and hockey.