Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4129921 times)

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #23100 on: November 29, 2012, 10:02:14 PM »
If KU leaves, it fucks KSU in LOADS of ways.

Anyone playing it off as otherwise is either rough ridin' stupid, enormously jealous and hurt, or both.

or they don't care.  probably 95% of people don't care.  so you should add that to your list.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #23101 on: November 29, 2012, 10:02:49 PM »
If KU leaves, it fucks KSU in LOADS of ways.

Anyone playing it off as otherwise is either rough ridin' stupid, enormously jealous and hurt, or both.
Pffft... How grant of right work it would be more detrimental to KU. The only school that can maybe afford to leave is Texas and that is a BIG if.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23102 on: November 29, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »
I hope they go. Good grief. In hindsight all the Big 12 teams to leave have ended up being a good thing.
i think it would be horrible if ku left.  i'd hate them forever.  it would be the meanest thing they could ever do to Kansas State/the state of Kansas.

Would it really hurt us at all though?

It would destroy us. If KU left, the Big 12 would fall apart with UT/TT/OU/OSU to the PAC, and K-State would end up in the MWC or Big East. Our only chance of keeping a seat at the big boys table is the Big 12. KU's departure would seriously, seriously jeopardize that.

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23103 on: November 29, 2012, 10:05:14 PM »
I mean, they don't bring much of anything to the conference for the network contracts.  Have them pay the exit fee for FSU, Clemson and GT and wish them a happy slow death in a terrible athletic conference.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23104 on: November 29, 2012, 10:07:40 PM »
I hope they go. Good grief. In hindsight all the Big 12 teams to leave have ended up being a good thing.
i think it would be horrible if ku left.  i'd hate them forever.  it would be the meanest thing they could ever do to Kansas State/the state of Kansas.

Would it really hurt us at all though?

It would destroy us. If KU left, the Big 12 would fall apart with UT/TT/OU/OSU to the PAC, and K-State would end up in the MWC or Big East. Our only chance of keeping a seat at the big boys table is the Big 12. KU's departure would seriously, seriously jeopardize that.

UT is never going to the pac12 b/c they won't take the LHN.  KU losing 10 years of tv revenue would destroy them if anything.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23105 on: November 29, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »
KU can absolutely afford to leave.

If I were them, I would.

They would surpass us in every measurable category within 10 years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23106 on: November 29, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »
I don't know why people are laughing this off, of the rumored teams, ku is the one who is most likely to go (not that they were first choice but others will say no).

of all the teams that have left, ku is by far the least important to the success of this conference.  even less so than colorado.

Weird interpretation.  Of course you could leave with a GOR, no one ever contended that you couldn't.  You would also leave your money and ability to make any more TV money.  Look at what CU is going through, hemorrhaging cash but not making any.  Then imagine doing that for over a decade.  KU isn't leaving, the BOR isn't that dumb, I think.

KU has the donors to recover from a GOR loss.  The Board of Regents is the only thing that could keep them if Dana Anderson, Anschutz, Compton, Ward, Hall, etc., want them to go.
if they left, it would set a horrible precedent.  essentially, the GOR would mean nothing.  it would provide no assurance for anyone and you're left with an unstable conference.  we're just assuming we'll be able to add FSU...but again, given the precedent, FSU could just wipe its ass with the GOR and walk away when the SEC came around.

You're out of their goddamned mind, there isn't a group of donors in the country willing to pony up over $200 million.  Jesus Christ guy they couldn't build a stadium club, but you think they're going to find $200 mil in the couch cushions?  The eff outta here, this guy.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #23107 on: November 29, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
With Grant of rights ku athletic budget would be so far in the red after one year it would be unrepairable. Leaving the big 12 right now is complete Athletic suicide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23108 on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »
I don't know why people are laughing this off, of the rumored teams, ku is the one who is most likely to go (not that they were first choice but others will say no).

of all the teams that have left, ku is by far the least important to the success of this conference.  even less so than colorado.

Weird interpretation.  Of course you could leave with a GOR, no one ever contended that you couldn't.  You would also leave your money and ability to make any more TV money.  Look at what CU is going through, hemorrhaging cash but not making any.  Then imagine doing that for over a decade.  KU isn't leaving, the BOR isn't that dumb, I think.

KU has the donors to recover from a GOR loss.  The Board of Regents is the only thing that could keep them if Dana Anderson, Anschutz, Compton, Ward, Hall, etc., want them to go.
if they left, it would set a horrible precedent.  essentially, the GOR would mean nothing.  it would provide no assurance for anyone and you're left with an unstable conference.  we're just assuming we'll be able to add FSU...but again, given the precedent, FSU could just wipe its ass with the GOR and walk away when the SEC came around.

You're out of their goddamned mind, there isn't a group of donors in the country willing to pony up over $200 million.  Jesus Christ guy they couldn't build a stadium club, but you think they're going to find $200 mil in the couch cushions?  The eff outta here, this guy.

LMAO, yes, this. KU isn't rich.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23109 on: November 29, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »

If I were them, I would.

how?  what the eff are you talking about?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23110 on: November 29, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »

How could it be $200M?  How on earth did you come up with that?

catzacker

« Reply #23111 on: November 29, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »

The BOR has no say in it.  If KU leaves, it will be because they believe they can get the negotiated value of the GOR to a reasonable dollar amount -  essentially they turn the GOR into a buyout.  Which is what would happen.  They'll pay it off like they would anything else, using their big 10 money (which would be more than they are getting now).

If KU can do that, this conference will be nothing more than a Hostel.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23112 on: November 29, 2012, 10:13:38 PM »

If I were them, I would.

Name one in which they wouldn't

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23113 on: November 29, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »

The BOR has no say in it.  If KU leaves, it will be because they believe they can get the negotiated value of the GOR to a reasonable dollar amount -  essentially they turn the GOR into a buyout.  Which is what would happen.  They'll pay it off like they would anything else, using their big 10 money (which would be more than they are getting now).

i don't think you get the GOR

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23114 on: November 29, 2012, 10:15:37 PM »
why are we assuming KU leaving would topple the Big 12?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23115 on: November 29, 2012, 10:16:51 PM »

Exactly.

Have any of you seen the Edwards campus?  The rough ridin' Halls wrote a check that no KSU alum can even touch.  The Wards?  Anyone?  They give twice what Vanier gives, and will double down if asked.

That doesn't even bring us to Anschutz, Anderson, or Compton....and Compton is way bigger than you think, because he brings along prolly 10-20 guys that join in on the gang bang.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23116 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:32 PM »

If I were them, I would.

if the GOR is worth anything, they won't be making a single dollar.   and the big 10 is terrible at athletics FYI

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23117 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:37 PM »
Lew Perkins might have pushed for KU to join the big 10.

Sheahon Zenger is the AD.

Lew was all about grabbing the extra dollars. Sheahon is all about what is best for Kansans.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23118 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »

Well, that's the point here....that it might not be as iron clad as we think it is.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23119 on: November 29, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »

If I were them, I would.

if the GOR is worth anything, they won't be making a single dollar.   and the big 10 is terrible at athletics FYI

They'd make LOADS of dollars.

That would come from the Big 10.

The Big 12 would have to sue the Big 10 to get that money back. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23120 on: November 29, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »

Its actually more than that, a lot more.  Take the TV rights and multiply that by years left on the GOR.  Also lets say they do leave, do you really think the rest of the conference is going to settle, with KU?  LOfuckingL

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23121 on: November 29, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »

If I were them, I would.

They'd make LOADS of dollars.

That would come from the Big 10.

The Big 12 would have to sue the Big 10 to get that money back. 

The Big 10 would not be too keen on giving KU "LOADS of dollars" if they don't own the rights to any KU home games.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23122 on: November 29, 2012, 10:22:45 PM »

Well, that's the point here....that it might not be as iron clad as we think it is.

if its not iron clad, then you should give even less of a crap about ku leaving b/c that means any team can leave whenever they want and could all along so who cares.  just be glad its ku that might be leaving and not OU.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23123 on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »

Its actually more than that, a lot more.  Take the TV rights and multiply that by years left on the GOR.  Also lets say they do leave, do you really think the rest of the conference is going to settle, with KU?  LOfuckingL

If the Big 10 agrees to pay them X, and donors agree to up to Y, and the attorneys settle to reduce it by Z, then I think it can happen. 

Again, I think they'd at least break even on TV money alone within 10 years.  Nevermind the revenue from new donors and other areas such as football ticket sales.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23124 on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »
I've chosen to keep a level head for a while on all this, haven't been too worried since Olive Garden-gate.

Is it time for me to start freaking out again?