Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980306 times)

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2010, 01:17:10 PM »
Collin Cowherd of ESPN fame, is reporting that his insidery types are saying that ND is going to say "No," and that the first choice for the Big 10 if they vote to go to 12 is UCONN.  Then, he says that if they vote to go to 14, they are targeting UCONN, Pitt and Rutgers.

He is also saying that Utah and Colorado to the Pac-10 will happen.

Finally, he is "speculating" that TCU fills the open Big 12 spot.  DO NOT WANT TCU!!!!!!!!!!!!  :curse:  Tiny school who continues to steal recruits away from the Big 12 in Texas.

That would suck to not have Colorado to kick around anymore.  I hate them more than almost all of the other Big 12 schools, and I have derived so much pleasure out of seeing their athletic department in a free fall these past few years.  At least we would still get to enjoy the Dan Hawkins express this upcoming year, though.     :lol:

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2010, 01:25:15 PM »
Big 10 (with 11 teams) wants another so they have 12 and can have a conference title game like the SEC, ACC and Big XII.

The Big 10 will let schools like MU get all wrapped up in fluttering their eyelids and fanning themselves as they swoon dreaming of riches and glory and then they'll go and add Notre Dame.

Either that or KSU is cast off into mid-major oblivion.   :fatty:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
Big 10 (with 11 teams) wants another so they have 12 and can have a conference title game like the SEC, ACC and Big XII.

The Big 10 will let schools like MU get all wrapped up in fluttering their eyelids and fanning themselves as they swoon dreaming of riches and glory and then they'll go and add Notre Dame.

Either that or KSU is cast off into mid-major oblivion.   :fatty:

That's just a tiny little part of the story (motivation).

They have a network into which they have dumped millions upon millions.  They have capacity.  They need TV sets.  They'll pull as many schools as they can get.....that's the SMART thing to do if you have a network like the Big 10.  Maximize the profit.

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2010, 09:48:27 PM »
At the end of the day, all I hope is that for whatever conference we go to that we are allowed to take unlimited partial qualifiers again.
:sliverlining:

thought this was more of a state of kansas entrance requirement thing than a conf thing

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »
At the end of the day, all I hope is that for whatever conference we go to that we are allowed to take unlimited partial qualifiers again.

thought this was more of a state of kansas entrance requirement thing than a conf thing

IIRC, one condition (put in by Texas) when the SWC joined the Big 8 was a increase "academic standards," and one of those standards was a reduction in the number of partial qualifiers you could have.  We used it a bunch, as did OU.

catzacker

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2010, 10:07:24 PM »

IIRC, one condition (put in by Texas) when the SWC joined the Big 8 was a increase "academic standards," and one of those standards was a reduction in the number of partial qualifiers you could have.  We used it a bunch, as did OU.

yes.  and NU used it a sh(t ton as well.  It was one of the things Osborne absolutely didn't want taken away.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2010, 09:16:21 AM »
Not to change from the overall discussion, but the problem for some of the biggest bitchers about Juco transfers is that they could more easily take advantage of Juco transfers if the state in which their schools resided had any JC football programs either at all, or worth a damn.   

It's also funny to me how Texas uses Austin Community College to keep so many of their guys eligible . . . strange how so many classes at Austin Community College transfer into Texas, but so many other Texas JC classes don't.   

It's the little things. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »
Mandel says it's likely Cornhole going to the Big 10 . . . so who does the Big 12 get to replace them??  I totally agree with him that it makes absolutely no sense at this moment in time for Texas to move out of the Big 12, and I agree with him that CU really doesn't bring much of anything to the table for the Pac-10 besides the Denver market . . .  and if you listen to the CU folks the Denver market cares a lot more about pro sports than college sports.

If it's only Nebraska, I can see TCU joining the Big 12 and the conference be re-aligned, or I can see the Big 12 going after either Utah or BYU. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/04/20/expansion-faqs/index.html

Sugar Dick

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2010, 09:39:02 AM »
Mandel says it's likely Cornhole going to the Big 10 . . . so who does the Big 12 get to replace them??  I totally agree with him that it makes absolutely no sense at this moment in time for Texas to move out of the Big 12, and I agree with him that CU really doesn't bring much of anything to the table for the Pac-10 besides the Denver market . . .  and if you listen to the CU folks the Denver market cares a lot more about pro sports than college sports.

If it's only Nebraska, I can see TCU joining the Big 12 and the conference be re-aligned, or I can see the Big 12 going after either Utah or BYU. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/04/20/expansion-faqs/index.html

Colorado State  :dunno:
Wouldn't want to have to go to Utah for anything, but they're typically good at Basketball/Football

We already have our quota of Private Schools that don't fit in with the rest of the conf.
Big XII - Baylor
Big 11 - Northwestern
SEC - Vanderbilt

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2010, 09:55:47 AM »

Colorado State  :dunno:
Wouldn't want to have to go to Utah for anything, but they're typically good at Basketball/Football

We already have our quota of Private Schools that don't fit in with the rest of the conf.
Big XII - Baylor
Big 11 - Northwestern
SEC - Vanderbilt

The problem with both CSU and TCU is that they don't have the football stadiums to be in a BCS conference.  IIRC, you have to have a 40,000 seat stadium, and neither do.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »
TCU can put over 40,000 in their stadium, their biggest issue is that they have to be downright awesome and beg and plead to get that many to attend.  CSU doesn't have over 40,000 . . . and CSU is a bad choice.   TCU spends just as much on athletics as K-State does about $45 or $46 million. 

TCU being in the Big 12 would likely cure a lot of their attendance issues in football. 

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
So if TCU joins the Big 12 after we lose a north school, I'm assuming that OSU moves to the north just based on location?

Going to be embarrassing to see the south destroy the north year after year.....after year.......after year.........

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:14 AM »
Either raid the Big East or go with the guys that play here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Bowl_Memorial_Stadium
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2010, 10:10:10 AM »
midmajor t-shirt ideas

midmajors have more fun

i'm a midmajor, will you be my mid-captain?

hey big tits, mid my major

midmajor, MASSIVE party

i'm with midmajor

insert _______ major here

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2010, 10:13:17 AM »
A

+1 Memphis has twice the students as TCU, so I'm assuming twice the fanbase? Why don't we want them again?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2010, 10:15:16 AM »
 :zzz:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2010, 10:16:55 AM »
Mid-Majors Do It From The Bottom

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2010, 10:20:17 AM »
A

+1 Memphis has twice the students as TCU, so I'm assuming twice the fanbase? Why don't we want them again?

It would be dumb to abandon the TVs to the East because of travel concerns and/or being scared of the Big 10/SEC.  Bring in some combination of Memphis/Louisville/Cinci and you:

A. Improve your TV footprint
B. Drastically improve the quality of basketball played in the conference
C. Bump travel costs up somewhat, but you're doing that with Mountain West scrubs anyway
D. Lessen the damage done to football competitiveness
E. Keep this from becoming the "Super Texas Conference"

Just rearrange the divisions some and you're good to go.   :driving:
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2010, 10:25:52 AM »
Mid-Majors Do It From The Bottom
I like that one, seems like a double intendrey.

midmajors, we're not catfish!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »
A

It would be dumb to abandon the TVs to the East because of travel concerns and/or being scared of the Big 10/SEC.  Bring in some combination of Memphis/Louisville/Cinci and you:

A. Improve your TV footprint
B. Drastically improve the quality of basketball played in the conference
C. Bump travel costs up somewhat, but you're doing that with Mountain West scrubs anyway
D. Lessen the damage done to football competitiveness
E. Keep this from becoming the "Super Texas Conference"

Just rearrange the divisions some and you're good to go.   :driving:

Right, that's what I'm saying. I think Memphis should be our first choice, with Louisville as a close second. (I think sys mentioned this when it first came about. At first I was all  :confused: but then I was all  :love: and finally ended up  :crossfingers: that it could actually happen. Who needs NU anyway? All they bring is a fanbase who lacks the teeth, and most likely electrical connections. GET 'EM OUTTA HERE!!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »
Another t-shirt idea:  Hey, Majors.  Eat crap!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »

Quote from: steve dave

"Guys, It will be a cold day in hell before Virgina Tech and Boston College leave the Big East"

The42Yardstick

« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2010, 10:48:39 AM »

Quote from: steve dave

"Guys, It will be a cold day in hell before Virgina Tech and Boston College leave the Big East"

:users:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2010, 12:31:14 PM »
we might be a mid major, but we also minor in partying hardcore dudes. go wildcats! emaw. emaw. emaw. :woot:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:42:22 PM by Rick Daris »