Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4052012 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2010, 12:40:27 PM »
A garbage Big 12 is good for us as long as it is still in the BCS (or BCS equivalent) mix as one of the superconferences.  We wouldn't have to compete against Oklahoma and Texas and would still get a shot at the national championship game.  Think of how Florida State benefitted in the old, sucky ACC.  For a truly bad scenario, see Doyel's in which there are only four superconferences.  Guess who's left out?

Of course, all of this rests on the false assumption that K-State is a contender.  Since we aren't, let's just go ahead and go to the Mountain West.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
ddodd, why is it difficult to imagine New Mexico hosting a conference game against Nebraska?  i just did it a few minutes ago.  and i just did it again!  and one more time for good measure.  imagining is not hard.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
A garbage Big 12 is good for us as long as it is still in the BCS (or BCS equivalent) mix as one of the superconferences.  We wouldn't have to compete against Oklahoma and Texas and would still get a shot at the national championship game.  Think of how Florida State benefitted in the old, sucky ACC.  For a truly bad scenario, see Doyel's in which there are only four superconferences.  Guess who's left out?

Of course, all of this rests on the false assumption that K-State is a contender.  Since we aren't, let's just go ahead and go to the Mountain West.

I'm on board with this.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2010, 01:28:36 PM »
I have it on pretty good authority that Texas is not going to the Big 10 or anywhere else.  If Mizzou and NU leave, the Big 12 will just become the SWC part 2.  Will be Texas teams vs. "North"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2010, 01:30:24 PM »
I have it on pretty good authority

:surprised:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2010, 01:41:15 PM »
NU brings more than just Nebraska, they are recognizable name in football, which what this is all about.

No it's not, it's all about TV markets, which Nebraska doesn't have. Nebraska-to-Big-Ten makes no sense.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2010, 02:05:31 PM »
NU brings more than just Nebraska, they are recognizable name in football, which what this is all about.

No it's not, it's all about TV markets, which Nebraska doesn't have. Nebraska-to-Big-Ten makes no sense.

Sure it does.....ask yourself this.  How many more people tune in to watch Michigan versus Nebraska than tune in to watch Michigan versus Iowa State?  While the number of eyeballs in their particular state is lower than Kansas, they have a national appeal that more than compensates for this.....also they rough ridin' put 90,000 in their football stadium every god damn week.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2010, 02:10:50 PM »
yeah, kougs swung and missed on that one.

don't forget the bandwagonners while thinking in terms of tv viewers, either.  Lots of people love Nebraska when they don't suck.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »

Sure it does.....ask yourself this.  How many more people tune in to watch Michigan versus Nebraska than tune in to watch Michigan versus Iowa State?  While the number of eyeballs in their particular state is lower than Kansas, they have a national appeal that more than compensates for this.....also they fracking put 90,000 in their football stadium every god damn week.

I think you overestimate the national appeal of Nebraska football.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2010, 02:53:12 PM »

Sure it does.....ask yourself this.  How many more people tune in to watch Michigan versus Nebraska than tune in to watch Michigan versus Iowa State?  While the number of eyeballs in their particular state is lower than Kansas, they have a national appeal that more than compensates for this.....also they fracking put 90,000 in their football stadium every god damn week.

Well, I wish nothing but evil and misery upon Nebraska, so that would be cool with me.  However, I suspect that Nebraska's national recognition would make them nearly on par with Rutgers when it comes to valuing their contribution, and probably out-weigh Pittsburgh.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2010, 02:57:43 PM »

Well, I wish nothing but evil and misery upon Nebraska, so that would be cool with me.  However, I suspect that Nebraska's national recognition would make them nearly on par with Rutgers when it comes to valuing their contribution, and probably out-weigh Pittsburgh.

We'll see I guess.  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
The thing with Nebraska is, their audience isn't split between a couple/few schools.  They have a monopoly on NE residents.  If you went to UNO, UNK, nowhere, etc. you are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) for NU football.  Also, there are no casual fans that catch a game from time to time.  The entire state (and anyone who grew up in the state before moving away) watch every game beginning to end.  

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »
The thing with Nebraska is, their audience isn't split between a couple/few schools.  They have a monopoly on NE residents.  If you went to UNO, UNK, nowhere, etc. you are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) for NU football.  Also, there are no casual fans that catch a game from time to time.  The entire state (and anyone who grew up in the state before moving away) watch every game beginning to end.  

Except for the ones filing out of the stadium during losses.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2010, 03:08:15 PM »

this.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2010, 03:12:52 PM »
The thing with Nebraska is, their audience isn't split between a couple/few schools.  They have a monopoly on NE residents.  If you went to UNO, UNK, nowhere, etc. you are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) for NU football.  Also, there are no casual fans that catch a game from time to time.  The entire state (and anyone who grew up in the state before moving away) watch every game beginning to end. 

a) That's a small population to begin with, even including everyone, and
b) not everyone in NE has TVs, because you know, you're all like poor farmers and stuff, amirite???

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2010, 03:18:29 PM »
The thing with Nebraska is, their audience isn't split between a couple/few schools.  They have a monopoly on NE residents.  If you went to UNO, UNK, nowhere, etc. you are Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) for NU football.  Also, there are no casual fans that catch a game from time to time.  The entire state (and anyone who grew up in the state before moving away) watch every game beginning to end. 

b) not everyone in NE has TVs, because you know, you're all like poor farmers and stuff, amirite???

a) Depends how you define a fan.  I would guess there are as many diehard NU football fans as there are KSU, KU and MU diehard football fans combined.
b) Yeah, but they huddle around the community TV.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »

a) Depends how you define a fan.  I would guess there are as many diehard NU football fans as there are KSU, KU and MU diehard football fans combined.

Well, you used stadium attendance as an example earlier, and there are twice as many fans at KU/KSU/MU games combined as there are at NU games on average, so... :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »

Well, you used stadium attendance as an example earlier, and there are twice as many fans at KU/KSU/MU games combined as there are at NU games on average, so... :dunno:

Well, first of all, no I didn't.  And, secondly, no there aren't. 

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2010, 03:28:23 PM »

Just about.  As of 2008- KSU+KU+MU= 160,617.  NU= 85,071.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2010, 03:31:15 PM »

Boom, roasted.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »

Boom, roasted.

He said I was right, Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)  :lol:

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2010, 03:33:46 PM »

a) Depends how you define a fan.  I would guess there are as many diehard NU football fans as there are KSU, KU and MU diehard football fans combined.

Well, first of all, no I didn't.  And, secondly, no there aren't.  

Just about.  As of 2008- KSU+KU+MU= 160,617.  NU= 85,071.

Boom, roasted.

Still about 10 grand short man.  Plus, KU's 50k number is  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:35:37 PM by jtksu »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »
kougs fighting a really weird battle right now.   :dunno:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »
kougs fighting a really weird battle right now.   :dunno:

I do this sometimes. It's "my thing," along with amateur photoshops designed to piss mich' off.

Also, I hate Nebraska and don't like giving them credit for being attractive in any way, so it was a nice fit for me.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
just because a lot of people love them doesn't mean that they are validated. 

Lots of people loved Hitler, d00d.