Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4059830 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
Also, I hate Nebraska and don't like giving them credit for being attractive in any way, so it was a nice fit for me.

Yeah, I get this.  I hate NU athletics with every bone in my body (except NU hoops which I adore). 

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »
Personally, I think the only Big 12 school that's a threat to leave to the Big Ten is Missouri. 

When I go all 'conspiracy theory' on this, I think there are two grand plans at work by the Big Ten:

1) Go after schools in major markets to try and get the Big Ten Network on as many basic cable packages as possible ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
2) Dismantle the Big East to finally force Notre Dame's hand into joining the conference

Here's the deal...I'd venture to guess that if Notre Dame agreed to join the Big Ten tomorrow, it's all over.  Expansion talk done.  You now have the biggest national draw in all of college football under your umbrella.  Want to see ND games?  Put the BTN on your basic cable package or watch every Catholic camp out in front of their cable provider like it's an abortion clinic.

If they want to go to 16 teams, sack the Big East, take Rutgers (NJ/NY), Pitt (Pittsburgh), Syracuse (the true state school of NY), and watch the conference fall apart.  Tell ND that if they want to be relevant in any sport, including football, they better join now because it's their last chance.  Then, they'll round out the conference with Missouri and/or NU.  I don't think they'll take both.  And, frankly, given how NU is one of of the ruling parties of the Big 12, they'd probably rather stick around and party in a very weak North division.

Once MU bolts, and if CU bolts to the Pac-10 (which doesn't seem like a slam dunk considering their AD is a perennial mess), go out and get two of the following three (Utah, Memphis, Louisville).

Personally, as we kind of look at all of the scenarios, I don't think we'll be left without a chair...yet.  The domino effect happens if the SEC wants to retaliate, and given that they're more into getting money from a network as opposed to starting their own, we're safe for a few years.  The Big 12 can replace Missouri and Colorado.  It won't be a good replacement, but it can be done.

What NEEDS to happen is for the Big 12 and the Pac-10 to start talking about forming a network of our own.  We don't need to add teams to our conference as much as get a network together.  If the Pac-10 became the Pac-12, and they merged networks with the Big 12, we're talking about 24 schools covering nearly every state west of the Mississippi.  That would be enough content to keep a cable channel afloat and enough interest to probably get as much play as the BTN.  Sure, the payouts would be less, but I'm sure it would be more than all of these schools are capable of getting if they tried playing with the conference mixes.

Offline wildcat09

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »
If the BigTen expands by more than 1 team....bet your bottom dollar Missouri is involved. Missouri offers both the St. Louis and the Kansas City televison markets, makes sense for geography of the conference. BigTen realizes some schools, while near major cities, are not going to get the involvement.

Also, for Pitt's agreement with the Big East is murderous compared to others. Pitt will only come if the BigTen goes to 16, IMO.

Thats my thoughts.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »
If the BigTen expands by more than 1 team....bet your bottom dollar Missouri is involved. Missouri offers both the St. Louis and the Kansas City televison markets, makes sense for geography of the conference. BigTen realizes some schools, while near major cities, are not going to get the involvement.

Also, for Pitt's agreement with the Big East is murderous compared to others. Pitt will only come if the BigTen goes to 16, IMO.

Thats my thoughts.

Are you saying that Pitt's agreement is worse than other Big East schools?  I hadn't heard that, if that's the case.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2010, 06:17:18 PM »
there was a synopsis of a good analysis of this here.  i assume the numbers are ballpark correct.  it kind of shows kougs to be off on a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) tangent, but that's not why i'm linking it.

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/the-value-of-expansion-candidates-to-the-big-ten-network/

one other (completely unrelated) point re. texas is that they are truly in a different situation than virtually every other school in the nation.  for them maximizing revenue is not about getting good tv deals, or selling tickets, or whatever.  they maximize revenue by finding out which schools their top 100 or top 1000 boosters most want to play/beat in football and by then playing/beating those schools in football.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2010, 06:53:03 PM »
there was a synopsis of a good analysis of this here.  i assume the numbers are ballpark correct.  it kind of shows kougs to be off on a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) tangent, but that's not why i'm linking it.

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/the-value-of-expansion-candidates-to-the-big-ten-network/

one other (completely unrelated) point re. texas is that they are truly in a different situation than virtually every other school in the nation.  for them maximizing revenue is not about getting good tv deals, or selling tickets, or whatever.  they maximize revenue by finding out which schools their top 100 or top 1000 boosters most want to play/beat in football and by then playing/beating those schools in football.

cannot be emphasized enough.  Why the hell would they want to go to the SEC or Big 10 again?  They get the Big XII as their fiefdom, they maintain their a&m and ou games yearly and they get an easier and easier road to the BCS.  Their fans hate "yankees" and the idea that all of their road games would be to the weather equivalents of Aimes and worse is not happening.

A lot of this talk leaves me going:  "What's the hurry?"  The only people with interest to hype this are bored off-season columnists.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2010, 06:56:33 PM »
The only people with interest to hype this are bored off-season columnists.

this is no doubt part of it. doesn't make it a non story though. plus, i can just see us being left out. four sixteen team power conferences. currently 65 bcs teams. guess to doesn't get to go?   :frown:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »
to echo and add to Mr KK's thoughts, UT wants no part of SEC schools playing in Texas on reg basis- they the thought of Bama, LSU and others competing w/ them for blue chip recruits.

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: The future five super conferences - Dennis Dodd
« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2010, 10:34:02 PM »
Awesome, thanks man. I never would have found this in the 7 page thread addressing the same subject!

Offline Testy Westy

• Katpak'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2010, 11:39:27 PM »
Boise State is still left out of the party.  :lol:

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
Boise State is still left out of the party.  :lol:

L O L. GTFOMF stupid teams from Canada!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2010, 10:52:47 AM »
I've said the same thing as what KK is saying.

Texas is a $140 million dollar athletic operation in the Big 12, with something like $30 or $40 million in net profits.   Why they may pick up a few extra million in TV revenue by going to the Big 10 or SEC, why would they want to do it??  They rule the Big 12, and the only 2 schools that really pisses off is MU and Cornhole and one dumbass on phog.net. 

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2010, 11:09:14 AM »

Sorry, stopped reading after I saw he had KU as a top 10 candidate. GMAFB.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »

I dunno. Top 5 may be farfetched, but Top 10 doesn't seem all that weird. I know that the Big Ten is mainly looking at football here, but KU basketball is a significant money generator in itself. Plus, if the B10 is gonna lower their academic standards to consider Missouri, then KU is about on par with that as well.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2010, 11:44:16 AM »

I dunno. Top 5 may be farfetched, but Top 10 doesn't seem all that weird. I know that the Big Ten is mainly looking at football here, but KU basketball is a significant money generator in itself. Plus, if the B10 is gonna lower their academic standards to consider Missouri, then KU is about on par with that as well.

Aren't KU and Mizzou nearly identically ranked in US News and World Report?  I really don't think you can differentiate them academically.   Plus, the really ridiculous part of this "academic" ranking bullshit is that it is focused almost exclusive on research and not on teaching, learning or success of students in the work place when they exit the school.  That is also why BYU and Notre Dame are not among the AAU and other academic research groups....they focus too much on educating their students instead of churning out publications that no one will read.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »

Aren't KU and Mizzou nearly identically ranked in US News and World Report?  I really don't think you can differentiate them academically.   Plus, the really ridiculous part of this "academic" ranking bullshit is that it is focused almost exclusive on research and not on teaching, learning or success of students in the work place when they exit the school.  That is also why BYU and Notre Dame are not among the AAU and other academic research groups....they focus too much on educating their students instead of churning out publications that no one will read.

Ya, they're pretty much equal. MU would like to think that they have a j-school that is miles ahead of KU's, but it really isn't.

I agree with your point about academia. There are some separate ranking systems that rate departments on time to degree completion, success of graduates in getting a job, effectiveness in teaching, etc., but they're not nationally prominent enough to really reach the average family/high school senior who doesn't know about them. If we insist on pumping out rankings for different schools--and let's face it, those rankings are like crack to us-- then there definitely needs to be a more comprehensive ranking system taking all of these things into account. But that won't happen anytime soon b/c the AAU doesn't want anybody else taking their money.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2010, 01:19:46 PM »

Sorry, but K-State and KU are in the same boat with this expansion talk, and....well, we're gonna need a bigger boat.

:dunno:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2010, 03:55:46 AM »
Quote from: currie
There has been lots of news, or perhaps more correctly "talk" recently circulating regarding conference expansion. While there are all sorts of scenarios and conspiracy theories floating around the national media, primarily in potential reaction to changes the Big Ten may or may not make, K-State is well-positioned in a terrific conference like the Big 12. We have great national brands in our league (including the Powercat!), are rated as one of the top two conferences in most of our sports (number one in men's and women's basketball), have 14-percent of the nation’s population in our geographic footprint and almost four million alumni and friends of our 12 institutions spread coast to coast. I like the proactive comments and steps Commissioner Beebe has taken and believe our league can continue to be not just viable, but among the leaders in college athletics.

Pete, stfu with all your "talk".  We have the Powercat!

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2010, 11:35:28 AM »
There has been lots of news, or perhaps more correctly "talk" recently circulating regarding conference expansion. While there are all sorts of scenarios and conspiracy theories floating around the national media, primarily in potential reaction to changes the Big Ten may or may not make, K-State is well-positioned in a terrific conference like the Big 12. We have great national brands in our league (including the Powercat!), are rated as one of the top two conferences in most of our sports (number one in men's and women's basketball), have 14-percent of the nation’s population in our geographic footprint and almost four million alumni and friends of our 12 institutions spread coast to coast. I like the proactive comments and steps Commissioner Beebe has taken and believe our league can continue to be not just viable, but among the leaders in college athletics.

I know, I :facepalm:'d at that paragraph big time. I also replied to Currie asking him what he was referring to when he mentioned these "proactive steps" Beebe was taking to keep the Big 12 relevant. Awaiting the reply.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2010, 11:49:15 AM »

I know, I :facepalm:'d at that paragraph big time. I also replied to Currie asking him what he was referring to when he mentioned these "proactive steps" Beebe was taking to keep the Big 12 relevant. Awaiting the reply.

Yep, that was an LOL moment for me when I opened that email.

Just because you can pick a mascot out a lineup, doesn't make it marketable.

Case in point:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2010, 10:36:06 AM »
schadjoe    Steve Spurrier: "I heard maybe Arkansas back to the Big 12 or something like that."

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2010, 10:38:02 AM »
610 morning guy just reported that MU to the Big 10 is official.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »
610 morning guy just reported that MU to the Big 10 is official.

Apparently KOMU broke the story. Then retracted it. But it is being retweeted everywhere. Gotta love the information superhighway!!!

LINK
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:50:00 AM by WillieWannabe »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:02 AM »
schadjoe    Steve Spurrier: "I heard maybe Arkansas back to the Big 12 or something like that."

For dumshits like me, http://twitter.com/schadjoe