Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068424 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #17675 on: December 06, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
Texas will have to negotiate a new Tier 1 deal before the grant of rights is up.

Yeah, they'll have to make LHN Tier 1 for UT.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17676 on: December 12, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »
is LHN $ really all that important n terms of the entire UT athletic budget?

if not then the success is defined by number of households where LHN is available.  advertisers won't really need to buy in but content providers will. 

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17677 on: December 12, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »

if not then the success is defined by number of households where LHN is available.  advertisers won't really need to buy in but content providers will. 

My fear is LHN's success is more important to ESPN.  They usually take failures out back and kill them (espn phone for example).  If the LHN gets deep sixed by ESPN one of the best reasons for UT to stay in the big 12 is gone and the Pac 12 could become much more attractive.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17678 on: December 12, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »

My fear is LHN's success is more important to ESPN.  They usually take failures out back and kill them (espn phone for example).  If the LHN gets deep sixed by ESPN one of the best reasons for UT to stay in the big 12 is gone and the Pac 12 could become much more attractive.

Why would the Pac 12 become much more attractive?  Is it the outlandish travel, no regional rivals, a conference membership that doesn't want them, and less money that makes the PAC 12 more attractive?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17680 on: December 12, 2011, 03:40:19 PM »
Pac 12 be crazy

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/sports/pac-12-hopes-to-establish-presence-in-china.html

Okay, this is getting rigoddamnediculous.  I bet there's more TVs in Japan, we should start there.  Didn't K-State play Nebraska there once?

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17681 on: December 12, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »

Why would the Pac 12 become much more attractive?  Is it the outlandish travel, no regional rivals, a conference membership that doesn't want them, and less money that makes the PAC 12 more attractive?
I think the larger media markets and higher rated academics mostly.  The travel thing will be minimized somewhat if UT, TT, OU and OSU come in a pod.

If Deloss is still in charge we should be ok when the tier 1 comes up but I would be  :ohno: if a younger guy with few ties to this region replaces him.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17682 on: December 12, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »

I think the larger media markets and higher rated academics mostly.  The travel thing will be minimized somewhat if UT, TT, OU and OSU come in a pod.

If Deloss is still in charge we should be ok when the tier 1 comes up but I would be  :ohno: if a younger guy with few ties to this region replaces him.

The PAC 12 institutions have made it quite clear that they don't want to sully their conference by inviting The Clampets.  Texas might have a shot if they wanted to go alone if they could boot Utah, Texas' toothless cousins have no shot at being peer institutions with the California schools, lol.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17683 on: December 12, 2011, 05:01:43 PM »

The PAC 12 institutions have made it quite clear that they don't want to sully their conference by inviting The Clampets.  Texas might have a shot if they wanted to go alone if they could boot Utah, Texas' toothless cousins have no shot at being peer institutions with the California schools, lol.
I think they would of taken/will take all 4 if UT is coming in on even terms (no LHN).  UT is worth swallowing the Sandaggie, Reddirtaggie and Tbooneaggie tier 3 pills as pods may help get the band back together for the California schools.  CU, Utah and the AZ schools will hate it and the NW schools won't like it but the money will be too huge to ignore.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17684 on: December 12, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »
they took cu and utah, apparently of their own volition.  the pac 12 doesn't exactly have high standards
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pondwater jack

• Boss. Highest Level.
  • Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • I come in piece
    • View Profile
« Reply #17685 on: December 12, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
....they'll keep playing until we are underwater.

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/21054795?tag=headlines;other

If the Big 10 expands by 3 or 5, we are going to take it in the ass.
Maybe you could call your conference the Final Four.  Go State :ksu:
"We'll Get 'Em Next Year!"  (Kansas State Battle Cry- strikes fear of "Next Year" into the hearts of EVERY Memeber of the Big 12)

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17686 on: December 12, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »

Outlandish travel: check
No regional rivals: OU, OSU, TT are regional rivals, plus CU isn't that far away
Pac 12 doesn't want them: They do want Texas, they just don't want the UT/LHN combo
Less money: the Pac 12 is going to be getting WAY more money than the Big 12.  I think the Pac 12 will distribute more per school than Texas will get from the Big 12 and the LHN combined.

Texas is in the Big 12 because the Big 12 lets Texas have the LHN.  As long as the LHN exists and as long as other conferences are unwilling to allow members to have their own network, Texas will likely remain in the Big 12.  If the LHN ceases to exist, Texas will leave the Big 12 as soon as practicable.  If the Pac 12 changes its stance on the LHN, Texas will leave the Big 12 as soon as practicable.  The Pac 12 is more prestigious academically, which appeals to the University side at UT.  The Pac 12 is more stable, which appeals to anyone with a brain.  The Pac 12 will very soon be getting much more exposure, which appeals to the Athletics side at UT.  And the Pac 12 has more money.  The only reason Texas isn't there right now is because they (currently) can't take the LHN with them.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17687 on: December 12, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
Dammit, it's a bad time to tarnish our rep by being associated with pigaggie.

If we ever get left out it will obviously be because of this bowl matchup.

Offline BMWWcat

• Combo-Fan
  • I still love the Purple Pants...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17688 on: December 13, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »
I was in midland tx for 3 days last week, saw LHN on tv 3 times. Once was a college swim meet and the other 2 times it was replays of them getting beat by baylor. LHN is screwed unless it transforms into the big 12 network...no way I would pay extra to have that abortion of a channel. I would pay extra so I didn't get the channel (one less channel to skip)
Dax fan club member!

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17689 on: December 13, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »
I was in midland tx for 3 days last week, saw LHN on tv 3 times. Once was a college swim meet and the other 2 times it was replays of them getting beat by baylor. LHN is screwed unless it transforms into the big 12 network...no way I would pay extra to have that abortion of a channel. I would pay extra so I didn't get the channel (one less channel to skip)
That is TSC blasphemy you POS. :flush:

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17690 on: December 13, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »

I would watch swim meets  :dunno:

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17691 on: December 20, 2011, 02:53:56 PM »
 :kstategrad:

Those Fox Big 12 secondary rights alone project to $9 million per school in a 10-team Big 12. Industry sources say Big 12 schools currently collect $14 million to $16 million from those combined media rights deal. ESPN will get first crack at the Big 12's primary media rights that expire after the 2014-15 academic year.

Once ESPN (or another bidder) wraps up those primary rights, Big 12 schools could be making $20 million to $22 million per year. That's addition by subtraction with the league making more money with a net loss of two members, one of them (Nebraska) a national brand.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/16514925/texas-dodds-revamped-big-12-will-be-a-toptier-cash-generator

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17692 on: December 20, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »
Does that mean Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M are not national brands?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #17693 on: December 20, 2011, 04:01:46 PM »
This conference is safe for the next 6-10 years for sure.  Probably more because Texas has the LHN.

However, for there to be long term stability and prosperity, we need a network.  There's too much money being left on the table for it not to happen.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17694 on: December 20, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »
Before you jump all over a conference network, a question that has to be answered is, what portion of the individual schools Tier III rights get turned over to the conference . . . I assume it's just the TV portion.     The next question is, what % of the individual schools total Tier III take is garnered from the TV portion?    What makes more money in the Tier III deal, TV or Radio??

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17695 on: December 20, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »
Before you jump all over a conference network, a question that has to be answered is, what portion of the individual schools Tier III rights get turned over to the conference . . . I assume it's just the TV portion.     The next question is, what % of the individual schools total Tier III take is garnered from the TV portion?    What makes more money in the Tier III deal, TV or Radio??

The Big 12 has enough Tier III inventory in football for a Big 12 Network. It would have to be Tier II and III to ever work.

I think the radio deal is about $1.5 million per year. We had 1 Tier III football game this year that might have been worth $200,000 to a network. And that's being really generous.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17696 on: December 20, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »
K-State's total Tier III media deal is currently worth about $3.5 to $4 million a year.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17697 on: December 20, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
We all need to hope the LHN is a big success for Texas. If the LHN goes down, there's nothing keeping Texas in the Big12.  :sdeek:

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #17698 on: December 20, 2011, 05:46:43 PM »
We all need to hope the LHN is a big success for Texas. If the LHN goes down, there's nothing keeping Texas in the Big12.  :sdeek:

Because the missing ingredient to more LHN viewership is Pac-12 opponents?

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17699 on: December 20, 2011, 05:58:28 PM »
K-State's total Tier III media deal is currently worth about $3.5 to $4 million a year.

What are you including in that?