Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066560 times)

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #14700 on: September 28, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
I mean, sure, my numbers could be way off, but I have no clue where DeArmond is getting this stuff.

He's a scotch-loving fanboy masquerading as a reporter. Start there, and you should be able to figure it out.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I hate Mike DeArmond with a fiery passion, but he's blatantly lying about the monetary value of the SEC to drum up support for a move.

I really can't tell you how much more I hate him at this point.

Quote from:  scotchy
@WW_ksu formation ala big ten model and increased payoffs from subscription fees.

So, CBS for Tier 1 and an SEC Network for Tiers 2 & 3...?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #14701 on: September 28, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
I mean, sure, my numbers could be way off, but I have no clue where DeArmond is getting this stuff.

He's a scotch-loving fanboy masquerading as a reporter. Start there, and you should be able to figure it out.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I hate Mike DeArmond with a fiery passion, but he's blatantly lying about the monetary value of the SEC to drum up support for a move.

@WW_ksu formation ala big ten model and increased payoffs from subscription fees.

I really can't stress how much we need to say that the SEC already has a "network" that they started with ESPN two years ago, and that contract extends for at least twelve more years.

So, unless DeArmond has some super-secret info guys in SEC country don't have, I'm at a loss here, and I still hate him more than Osama Bin Laden.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #14702 on: September 28, 2011, 03:06:02 PM »

I really can't stress how much we need to say that the SEC already has a "network" that they started with ESPN two years ago, and that contract extends for at least twelve more years.

So, unless DeArmond has some super-secret info guys in SEC country don't have, I'm at a loss here, and I still hate him more than Osama Bin Laden.

tweet him, he'll probably answer as long as you don't call him hitler or anything.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14703 on: September 28, 2011, 03:10:30 PM »

tweet him, he'll probably answer as long as you don't call him hitler or anything.

I did.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14704 on: September 28, 2011, 03:11:02 PM »
The Southeastern Conference has signed a 15-year deal with ESPN reportedly worth more than $2 billion to televise sporting events, including football and men's and women's basketball.

The agreement announced Monday is the longest ESPN has ever signed and matches the length of the powerhouse league's deal with CBS earlier in August.

"This agreement makes the SEC the most widely distributed conference in the country," said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. He declined to disclose financial terms.

"The bottom line here is that fans of SEC football will have more access to games and better distribution than they ever have in the past," Slive added.

The deal begins with the 2009-10 season and ends the league's look into starting a network to carry its sporting events.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3553033

So that's worth $133,333,333.00 to the SEC each year. So that's at least $37 million short of Mike's number.

catzacker

« Reply #14705 on: September 28, 2011, 03:19:20 PM »
this is from 2009 when the SEC signed it, but it provides a summary of all conferences (then).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/07/24/tv-deals/index.html  

The SEC's deal with ESPN and CBS, when broken down by team each year of the 15 year deal would be roughly $16/17M a year.  That doesn't include the magical 170M "sec network" which bumps it to roughly 18/19M a year.  This is at 12 teams.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:21:01 PM by catzacker »

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14706 on: September 28, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »
The Southeastern Conference has signed a 15-year deal with ESPN reportedly worth more than $2 billion to televise sporting events, including football and men's and women's basketball.

The agreement announced Monday is the longest ESPN has ever signed and matches the length of the powerhouse league's deal with CBS earlier in August.

"This agreement makes the SEC the most widely distributed conference in the country," said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. He declined to disclose financial terms.

"The bottom line here is that fans of SEC football will have more access to games and better distribution than they ever have in the past," Slive added.

The deal begins with the 2009-10 season and ends the league's look into starting a network to carry its sporting events.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3553033

So that's worth $133,333,333.00 to the SEC each year. So that's at least $37 million short of Mike's number.

Current payout on 2nd tier rights is $150 million annually.  ($2.25 billion/15 years)

This is the problem; their second tier rights are locked with the SEC for 12 years, and that includes a regional network structure that replaced Raycom.

The SEC Network is a syndication package featuring college football and basketball events from the Southeastern Conference. The package is owned and operated by ESPN Regional Television and is shown in more than 50 percent of households in the United States, mostly Southeastern United States markets.[1] The SEC Network typically airs in the noon eastern slot that was former home to the Raycom Sports SEC game of the week. Games are shown locally on broadcast stations, regional sports networks, [2] as well as on ESPN GamePlan, ESPN Full Court, and ESPN3.com. The SEC Network is also available in Canada via WPCH-TV.

So, unless the SEC is going to convince ESPN to completely blow up and restructure a two billion dollar deal that still has twelve years left, which may be the case, I'm not sure exactly where they're going to create some network worth $170 million a year for subscriber fees.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14707 on: September 28, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »
BITB being BITB and clowning Jack Harry.  :popcorn:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14708 on: September 28, 2011, 03:32:02 PM »
this is from 2009 when the SEC signed it, but it provides a summary of all conferences (then).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/07/24/tv-deals/index.html  

The SEC's deal with ESPN and CBS, when broken down by team each year of the 15 year deal would be roughly $16/17M a year.  That doesn't include the magical 170M "sec network" which bumps it to roughly 18/19M a year.  This is at 12 teams.

DeArmond's numbers may as well come from a scotch dispensing unicorn.  There is no way they'll get anything resembling $25 million a year unless they blow up all existing contracts and start over with a subscriber based SEC Network that would be carried on cable networks as opposed to the regional based setup that they are currently using.

And THEN, with 14 teams, to get to $25 million annually for each school in TV revenue, assuming the first tier rights stay the same (and I don't see why they wouldn't), assuming the same 15 year window, you'd need the overall value of that contract to be worth $4.5 billion over fifteen years.

Uhh....

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14709 on: September 28, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »

deets, tia.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14710 on: September 28, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »

deets, tia.

Jack thinks Missouri can compete for football titles every year in the SEC. Kevin said no, denied.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14711 on: September 28, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »

deets, tia.

Jack thinks Missouri can compete for football titles every year in the SEC. Kevin said no, denied.

They had this conversation last week.  Harry is a moron.

What is it about their media members that makes them so stupid?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #14712 on: September 28, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
What is it about their media members that makes them so stupid?
Because they were fans before media members.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

catzacker

« Reply #14713 on: September 28, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »
BITB being BITB and clowning Jack Harry.  :popcorn:

deets, tia.

Basically saying few things:

-   If the LHN in the problem, then leaving to go to the SEC doesn’t solve the problem just means you’re mad at texas and ran away.
-   Gary built his program up recruiting texas, how easy will that be doing that in the sec against unfair texas and sec teams
-   MU won’t compete for a division in the SEC, they’ve been competing for a division in big 12 over the last 6 years.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:48:58 PM by catzacker »

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14714 on: September 28, 2011, 03:46:56 PM »
BITB : "I'm sick of the twitter world and message boards!"  :lol:

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14715 on: September 28, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
Lol
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14716 on: September 28, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »
Breakdown of annual revenue payments, by conference, on tiers 1 and 2.

Tier 1:
Big 10 - $1,000,000,000 (10 years) = $100,000,000 annually
Big 12 - $480,000,000 (8 years) = $60,000,000 annually
SEC -  $825,000,000 (15 years) = $55,000,000 annually
Pac-12 = ??? (All rights are inclusive in Fox and ESPN deals)
ACC = ??? (ESPN owns all rights.  Period.)

Tier 2:
Big 10 - $2,800,000,000 (25 years) = $112,000,000 annually
SEC - $2,250,000,000 (15 years) = $150,000,000 annually
Big 12 - $1,170,000,000 (13 years) = $90,000,000 annually
Pac-12 = ???
ACC = ???

Annual revenue:
Pac-12 - $250,000,000 annually
Big 10 - $212,000,000 annually
SEC - $205,000,000 annually
ACC - $155,000,000 annually
Big 12 - $150,000,000 annually

Here's where DeArmond is COMPLETELY wrong...the SEC ALREADY has the LARGEST SECOND TIER RIGHTS DEAL IN THE COUNTRY.  To get to where he says they'll get, that network will need to make $300,000,000 annually to give their teams a $25 million payout. They will have to DOUBLE their record setting tier 2 deal to get the payout on 14 teams he says they'll get.

No.  Denied.  You suck.  Go back to drinking.

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14717 on: September 28, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »

That whole meltdown was great.

"They do it to you too Jack!!!!  :angry:"

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14718 on: September 28, 2011, 03:55:34 PM »
Missouri . . . defining and redefining mediocrity for 40 years.

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14719 on: September 28, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »
Breakdown of annual revenue payments, by conference, on tiers 1 and 2.

Tier 1:
Big 10 - $1,000,000,000 (10 years) = $100,000,000 annually
Big 12 - $480,000,000 (8 years) = $60,000,000 annually
SEC -  $825,000,000 (15 years) = $55,000,000 annually
Pac-12 = ??? (All rights are inclusive in Fox and ESPN deals)
ACC = ??? (ESPN owns all rights.  Period.)

Tier 2:
Big 10 - $2,800,000,000 (25 years) = $112,000,000 annually
SEC - $2,250,000,000 (15 years) = $150,000,000 annually
Big 12 - $1,170,000,000 (13 years) = $90,000,000 annually
Pac-12 = ???
ACC = ???

Annual revenue:
Pac-12 - $250,000,000 annually
Big 10 - $212,000,000 annually
SEC - $205,000,000 annually
ACC - $155,000,000 annually
Big 12 - $150,000,000 annually

Here's where DeArmond is COMPLETELY wrong...the SEC ALREADY has the LARGEST SECOND TIER RIGHTS DEAL IN THE COUNTRY.  To get to where he says they'll get, that network will need to make $300,000,000 annually to give their teams a $25 million payout. They will have to DOUBLE their record setting tier 2 deal to get the payout on 14 teams he says they'll get.

No.  Denied.  You suck.  Go back to drinking.

The fallacy with these numbers is that the KEY is WHEN was the deal signed....the more recent the deal, the more "genius" the commissioner looks.  I think the Big 12 is up for reneg. in 3 years.  When that happens, the Big 12 will have the biggest numbers, likely by a wide margin.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14720 on: September 28, 2011, 04:00:04 PM »

Can't blame him.  He is on Wabash.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14721 on: September 28, 2011, 04:02:49 PM »
The fallacy with these numbers is that the KEY is WHEN was the deal signed....the more recent the deal, the more "genius" the commissioner looks.  I think the Big 12 is up for reneg. in 3 years.  When that happens, the Big 12 will have the biggest numbers, likely by a wide margin.

I always assumed that, but I don't think that will be the case.  The money comes in Tier 2 revenue, which is where the networks reside.  We all jumped up and down when the Fox deal came to fruition, but we got short changed big time.  We're making $22 million less, annually, in Tier 2 revenue than the Big Ten, and $60 million less than the SEC because we don't have anything that resembles a "network".

Tier 1 money is kind of chump change.  We've got the second highest annual total there already.  Even if we got a billion dollar deal like the Big Ten has, we're only competitive with the SEC because our Tier 2 revenues are so low.

Here's the thing: We need to figure something out on the Tier 2 side of things.  The only school that is going to get rich in this league is Texas.  I really should have cranked out the numbers before now, but crap, we're toast if we don't figure something out there.  The Fox deal actually sucks.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14722 on: September 28, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »
Here's the thing: We need to figure something out on the Tier 2 side of things.  The only school that is going to get rich in this league is Texas.  I really should have cranked out the numbers before now, but crap, we're toast if we don't figure something out there.  The Fox deal actually sucks.

Don't let Missouri read this.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14723 on: September 28, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »

Don't let Missouri read this.

Well, if we stay at ten teams, we'll make more than the SEC.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14724 on: September 28, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »
You don't know if say if the Fox contract doesn't have the ability to amended if the Big 12 adds teams. 

If the Big 12 adds the right schools the Tier 1 rights next time will be very lucrative.