Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066807 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #13750 on: September 21, 2011, 01:16:41 AM »
@JimVertuno - Eureka! What's so magic about five years for #Texas and #OU? Big 12 TV deal with ABC/ESPN expires in 2016.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13751 on: September 21, 2011, 01:21:14 AM »
Let's compile a list of teams and conferences and people who are kicking themselves in the nuts right now, and why.  

--Larry Scott, for CU and Utah.  (Although this allows them to have a championship game, which obviously is super money-y.  But still, I gotta think he's kicking himself in the nuts.)

--Mike Slive, for having 13 members.

--???

Dan Beebe has been kicking himself for not immediately adding two teams last year to replace Nebraska and Colorado.  Had he done that, this current round of armageddon may not have happened and he wouldn't be losing his job which it looks like will happen now.  

Jesus Christ how do you people still not get how this works.  The league was at 10 teams because that's what the league wanted.  Dan Beebe did not make that decision, no conference commissioners can add teams without the will of the membership.

And another thing, Beebe didn't decide nothing about 10 teams.  Ain't no commissioner making those kind of decisions, boy.

How's my girl Biggie Shorty?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #13752 on: September 21, 2011, 01:22:51 AM »
@JimVertuno - Eureka! What's so magic about five years for #Texas and #OU? Big 12 TV deal with ABC/ESPN expires in 2016.

I can't reiterate how much context means here.

Of course they're going to commit for five years.  They're committing to crap money that's even crappier for them due to equal revenue sharing.

The Tier 1 deal, if we do this right, will make it worth everyone's while to stay.

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13753 on: September 21, 2011, 01:31:33 AM »
This feels like 35-7 did in 2003, eff no, eff rough ridin' fuckity.

Yeah, buddy!!!   :cheers:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13754 on: September 21, 2011, 01:50:59 AM »

admit it, you're happy to be back with us :gocho:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13755 on: September 21, 2011, 01:52:22 AM »

Offline bigDcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13756 on: September 21, 2011, 02:50:02 AM »
So basically OU and Texas are going to share revenue equally in an unequally shared revenue conference for 3-5 years. Is that what we're getting at?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13757 on: September 21, 2011, 03:43:58 AM »
So Missouri is rough ridin' us now, no?

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13758 on: September 21, 2011, 03:59:15 AM »

Nah, they're too dumb to eff anyone.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #13759 on: September 21, 2011, 06:20:48 AM »
 :bracketmouse:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

catzacker

« Reply #13760 on: September 21, 2011, 06:53:59 AM »

Missouri is going to do what it does best:  eff itself.

They would be absolutely stupid not to go to the SEC, but this will probably stay in the Big 12.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #13761 on: September 21, 2011, 06:55:21 AM »

Missouri is going to do what it does best:  eff itself.

They would be absolutely stupid not to go to the SEC, but this will probably stay in the Big 12.

was this posted??

PeteThamelNYT: My final thought for the night is that I'll be STUNNED, after talking to 3 people today, if Mizzou ends up in SEC.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #13762 on: September 21, 2011, 07:02:53 AM »
Informal SB poll.

Assuming Mike Slive LOLs at aTm and sends a fruit basket, do you
--Want them back (for stability and whatnot)
--Say shazbot! those guise

:confused:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13763 on: September 21, 2011, 07:14:48 AM »
Informal SB poll.

Assuming Mike Slive LOLs at aTm and sends a fruit basket, do you
--Want them back (for stability and whatnot)
--Say shazbot! those guise

:confused:

I want them back, but what does it say if we take them?  We look weak enough without taking them back out of necessity. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13764 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:48 AM »
you'd have to be Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) not to want aTm back

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #13765 on: September 21, 2011, 07:19:58 AM »
you'd have to be Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) not to want aTm back

or you just have to get off on being mean to a cult.   :driving:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13766 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:39 AM »
So you guys freaking out about the alleged 5 year deal just going to ignore what I said about the tier one rights deal?  If there is a 5 year deal proposed it has more to do with getting to the new deal and also seeing what might need to be adjusted with the LHN or Big 12 Network.  Getting to the new tier one rights deal is far more important than signing a 5 or 500 year deal next week.  Whoever gets those tier one rights will certainly protect their investment.

Feel free to continue to meltdown about something insignificant though.

I don't understand where the 5 years comes from.  How you contractually put "5 years" into a contract/rule?  It's not prison.  There are ways to get out of it.  Length of term is not the problem, the severity of the penalty for leaving is.  That's why the ACC did that.  They didn't come out and say "hey, everyone agreed we'd be around for 5 more years, so, ya know, we're solidified".  The 5 year thing is curious to me.  I understand "getting to the tier one contract" but not from the angle that "hey, we all agree we'll stay for 5 years, okay?".  

you are right to worry in that's it's not a long term commitment but it gives the conference time to get to 12 teams and demonstrate some stability.   it also gives everyone time to see if all parties will stick to the new rules and like the new rules.

a commitment of 10 years or 20 years or 100 years means nothing anyway.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13767 on: September 21, 2011, 07:29:37 AM »
So you guys freaking out about the alleged 5 year deal just going to ignore what I said about the tier one rights deal?  If there is a 5 year deal proposed it has more to do with getting to the new deal and also seeing what might need to be adjusted with the LHN or Big 12 Network.  Getting to the new tier one rights deal is far more important than signing a 5 or 500 year deal next week.  Whoever gets those tier one rights will certainly protect their investment.

Feel free to continue to meltdown about something insignificant though.

I don't understand where the 5 years comes from.  How you contractually put "5 years" into a contract/rule?  It's not prison.  There are ways to get out of it.  Length of term is not the problem, the severity of the penalty for leaving is.  That's why the ACC did that.  They didn't come out and say "hey, everyone agreed we'd be around for 5 more years, so, ya know, we're solidified".  The 5 year thing is curious to me.  I understand "getting to the tier one contract" but not from the angle that "hey, we all agree we'll stay for 5 years, okay?".  

you are right to worry in that's it's not a long term commitment but it gives the conference time to get to 12 teams and demonstrate some stability.   it also gives everyone time to see if all parties will stick to the new rules and like the new rules.

but it sounds a lot better!   :runaway:
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13768 on: September 21, 2011, 07:30:25 AM »
 :doom:i'd think that the sec would prefer staying at 13 teams to adding a 14th that they don't want right now.  the big ten had eleven teams for quite a while.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13769 on: September 21, 2011, 07:32:36 AM »

yeah, weird meltdown by zack.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13770 on: September 21, 2011, 07:32:56 AM »
So if the SEC were to say no thanks to an awkward thirteenth warrior in aTm, which I realize they probably won't except in my wildest cruel fantasies, do we let them back in?

I would initially be inclined to say no way, because they're little bitches, but then again it would be amazing to rub their little bitch-ass faces in it every single year and get them anchored into some impossible-to-break contract.  God we would be ruthless to them everywhere they went and it was fantastic.

/daydream

goddammit, it's like no one reads anything anymore. I literally just posted this

I can't see the SEC turning them away, but who the eff will be #14?  And if it's an ACC team, then the ACC is left with 13 teams.

that's a ballsy avatar, chum. ballsy.  

i know?  wtf.  how many times am i going to confuse chum for sys.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #13771 on: September 21, 2011, 07:33:37 AM »
Just saw the espn ticker say that mizzou informally agrees to join SEC and that a majority of university presidents endorse the move. Freaked out for a second until they ran the "SEC denies that it has extended offer" follow-up.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #13772 on: September 21, 2011, 07:33:57 AM »
Pete,

Get the banner fund going again. We don't have much time to get the old man out so we can get Rod in here. We have 5 yrs to get good at football so we look pretty when this blows up again.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #13773 on: September 21, 2011, 07:34:51 AM »
Getting aTm back would be rough ridin' amazing. They would be such a fantastic villain.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13774 on: September 21, 2011, 07:35:16 AM »
If Missouri leaves for the SEC (which they won't) we add West Virginia.

I'm not concerned with this.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008