Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4131828 times)

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The sinking ship
« Reply #8900 on: September 01, 2011, 08:44:49 AM »
My fingers are crossed that the SEC gives TAMU the finger and they end up being forced to play as an independent in 2012.

not happening

I usually agree with you Steve but I think A&M is really putting the cart before the horse here. Other than A&M what school has been rumored to be in talks with the SEC or the SEC looking into? None. If any school is leaving for the SEC it will not be talked about until at the very earliest Bowl season and even then that school leaving will suffer severe penalties by there conference for such a short notice. Unless the SEC is going to pick up the tab for this I just don't see a 14th school added by the time A&M says they are leaving.
RIP Fatty

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #8901 on: September 01, 2011, 08:47:10 AM »
do you really think they would leave before having an offer in hand? they may be psycho, but they aren't stupid.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: The sinking ship
« Reply #8902 on: September 01, 2011, 08:48:28 AM »
My fingers are crossed that the SEC gives TAMU the finger and they end up being forced to play as an independent in 2012.

not happening

I usually agree with you Steve but I think A&M is really putting the cart before the horse here. Other than A&M what school has been rumored to be in talks with the SEC or the SEC looking into? None. If any school is leaving for the SEC it will not be talked about until at the very earliest Bowl season and even then that school leaving will suffer severe penalties by there conference for such a short notice. Unless the SEC is going to pick up the tab for this I just don't see a 14th school added by the time A&M says they are leaving.

where you went wrong was not always agreeing with me.  sorry stormnut.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: September 01, 2011, 08:49:29 AM »
What is  :lol: is the paranoia about K-State is once again about to surpass historic levels on the phog.

I can't wait until they start talking about how they saved KSU, ISU, and Baylor by making us a package deal with the Big East.

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8904 on: September 01, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »
do you really think they would leave before having an offer in hand? they may be psycho, but they aren't stupid.

this...they've got an offer already, even them faggies aren't that dumb

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: September 01, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »

Yes

RIP Fatty

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8906 on: September 01, 2011, 08:58:02 AM »
Horn fans delusional?

Can't wait to read the posts from gomers and domers assuring us ND was simply trying to rack-up frequent flier miles. I'll post some inside info for y'all later today on the ND situation. Suffice it to say ND is pretty much a done deal

http://texas.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=61&tid=162128438&mid=162128438&sid=902&style=2
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: September 01, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »
Horn fans delusional?

Can't wait to read the posts from gomers and domers assuring us ND was simply trying to rack-up frequent flier miles. I'll post some inside info for y'all later today on the ND situation. Suffice it to say ND is pretty much a done deal

http://texas.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=61&tid=162128438&mid=162128438&sid=902&style=2

:horrorsurprise:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: September 01, 2011, 08:59:35 AM »
would take.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: September 01, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »
Horn fans delusional?

I don't believe that at all. It would be great, though.

Offline pc5k

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8910 on: September 01, 2011, 09:02:32 AM »
Only 24% of the total TV take for the Big 12 starting next year is at risk, the other 76% is guranteed, and of course that doesn't include what any school can do on their own.

All bowl and NCAA tourney revenue will follow the equal share process once you get past the participating bowl team extra share.  

The Big 12 TV revenue sharing formula is a strawman.

NU left because their institutionalized low self esteem couldn't handle getting beat by Texas and OU anymore.

:lol: :lol: :jerk: :lol: Maybe EcoCat can save the Big 12!!

really? this is all you can fire back with? fail

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: September 01, 2011, 09:03:42 AM »
Horn fans delusional?

I get the feeling that "done deal" to a Texan means ND and the Longhorns are going to play a rivalry series, meanwhile ND stays independent in football and Big East in hoops.  :dubious:

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: September 01, 2011, 09:05:32 AM »
Horn fans delusional?

To me it sounds like a longhorn tuck trying to increase his board status.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: September 01, 2011, 09:08:49 AM »

Yes

yeah, they did.  the offer is contingent on the vote.  they came out and said, "we're not waiting.  we've gotta do what we've gotta do."

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: September 01, 2011, 09:09:53 AM »
Horn fans delusional?

Risk/Reward is off the charts there. He should have hedged his bet with a "but", or an "unless". Account deletion is in this man's future IMO.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:12:25 AM by Boakai »

Offline ltrain

• Combo-Fan
  • go cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: September 01, 2011, 09:21:15 AM »
Horn fans delusional?

Lots of optimism and zeal...some of you clowns should take notes.
Wondering who is running this hot dog stand and seriously considering heading out for tacos.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: September 01, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
So what did I miss since yesterday around 5?

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: September 01, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »
Horn fans delusional?

I get the feeling that "done deal" to a Texan means ND and the Longhorns are going to play a rivalry series, meanwhile ND stays independent in football and Big East in hoops.  :dubious:

This. Texas is going to replace aTm with Notre Dame for the Thanksgiving game.*

Really interesting how many folks in the media have been idiots on this thing and have been willing to show it in print/on the air. There are still 2 big factors playing against the mega shake-up that Bohls is the latest to predict.  These factors prevented armageddon last year:  the TV situation and the geographic situation. The broadcast partners prevented the break-up last year at the last minute. Isn't LHN an ESPN property?  Isn't the new Pac 12 deal with FSN?  How is Texas going to just take their ESPN network and "fold it into" the Pac 12's FSN network, as Bohls suggests?  Doesn't make sense...unless ESPN is ready to give up on LHN due to the limitations and the lack of takers.  :ohno:

Geography is a point that BITB was pounding yesterday and is still a big factor. Thus far, the schools that have left have been peripheral schools that left for next-door conferences. There's a lot of space and money left in Big 12 country--a significant pie that's being split now by a smaller number of schools. Unless there is significantly more money in the Pac 12, it just doesn't make sense, financially, geographically, or competitively, for OU and Texas to go to the Pac 12, when they're entering a situation where the winner of that game each year gets a BCS bid. 

* Notre Dame isn't going anywhere until they're forced to to participate in the national title picture. However, the Big 12 would seem to be the ideal option for them at this point if they were going to go somewhere, given that this conference is school-network-friendly. They would have to scale back their network, but I bet that the current schools/networks would be willing to rework the deal so that you could, for instance, put 2 of 3 non-con games and 2 lower profile conference games on your own network. Fox and ESPN might lose a few games overall, BUT they would get access to ND/OU or ND/TX every year coming to you from Austin, Norman, or South Bend, and that would make for some sweet ratings goodness that should be enticing even with the loss of a couple of other games. Question is whether that would still be worth it to ND/NBC.   

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: September 01, 2011, 09:24:33 AM »
http://texas.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=61&tid=162124709&mid=162124709&sid=902&style=2

Hello Longhorns! Greetings from the Cougars! I thought I would share this info with you. The Salt Lake Tribune has confirmed what many of us BYU fans believed and that is that BYU has been talking to the Big 12 for some time now, as well as sitting down with ESPN and Notre Dame representatives. Details are being hashed out! I hope BYU and the Big 12 can resolve everything!

See you Sept 10th

This post was edited on 9/1 5:06 AM by BYUbeatsTexas2011

ND reference is laughable.

and...

Someone on our board also discovered a flight had taken place from what is essentially Big 12 office land (Addison, TX is 8 miles from Big XII offices) into Provo, UT.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=7283986

Link: Big 12 flight from Addison, TX to Provo, UT

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: September 01, 2011, 09:27:16 AM »
Horn fans delusional?

This. Texas is going to replace aTm with Notre Dame for the Thanksgiving game.*

Really interesting how many folks in the media have been idiots on this thing and have been willing to show it in print/on the air. There are still 2 big factors playing against the mega shake-up that Bohls is the latest to predict.  These factors prevented armageddon last year:  the TV situation and the geographic situation. The broadcast partners prevented the break-up last year at the last minute. Isn't LHN an ESPN property?  Isn't the new Pac 12 deal with FSN?  How is Texas going to just take their ESPN network and "fold it into" the Pac 12's FSN network, as Bohls suggests?  Doesn't make sense...unless ESPN is ready to give up on LHN due to the limitations and the lack of takers.  :ohno:

Geography is a point that BITB was pounding yesterday and is still a big factor. Thus far, the schools that have left have been peripheral schools that left for next-door conferences. There's a lot of space and money left in Big 12 country--a significant pie that's being split now by a smaller number of schools. Unless there is significantly more money in the Pac 12, it just doesn't make sense, financially, geographically, or competitively, for OU and Texas to go to the Pac 12, when they're entering a situation where the winner of that game each year gets a BCS bid. 

* Notre Dame isn't going anywhere until they're forced to to participate in the national title picture. However, the Big 12 would seem to be the ideal option for them at this point if they were going to go somewhere, given that this conference is school-network-friendly. They would have to scale back their network, but I bet that the current schools/networks would be willing to rework the deal so that you could, for instance, put 2 of 3 non-con games and 2 lower profile conference games on your own network. Fox and ESPN might lose a few games overall, BUT they would get access to ND/OU or ND/TX every year coming to you from Austin, Norman, or South Bend, and that would make for some sweet ratings goodness that should be enticing even with the loss of a couple of other games. Question is whether that would still be worth it to ND/NBC.   

Also the title of that thread was
BYU & ND Talking To Big XII

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: September 01, 2011, 09:36:22 AM »
Screw the Big XII; I just want this thread to survive.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: September 01, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
The article about BYU said if they joined, it would be for football only.  Does not make sense given the competitiveness of the basketball program.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #8922 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »
I think one completely believable/viable scenario is a BYU addition with ND joining for non-football sports.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: September 01, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
what is it about this thread that makes everyone complete retards when it comes to what an absolute is and how no one says exactly what they mean. Good Grief.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: September 01, 2011, 09:53:51 AM »
I think one completely believable/viable scenario is a BYU addition with ND joining for non-football sports.

Agree.  With an annual Notre Dame/Texas football game guaranteed as well.

Could also see the scenario where BYU would join the conference in football only and keep the rest of their sports in the WAC.  Albeit, I would really like them to join in basketball.
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008