Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4069728 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #8100 on: August 15, 2011, 01:48:02 PM »
I don't think conferences want to go to 16 teams.  I think some would if they could get a Texas or OU but I don't think anyone is going to 16 just to go to 16. 

that's exactly my thought and why i'm so scared if mizzou goes to the sec w/ a&m. that would be the nail in the coffin for the big12 imo because i think texas would pack up and go at that point. i think the pac10 would be willing to let them bring their network in order to get them. oklahoma would go with texas and osu would go with oklahoma. they would just need one more to make 16 and there would probably be some pressure on texas to bring along ttech. after that, what? i don't think anything. why at that point in time would someone want to add bu, isu, kstate or ku. i don't think anyone  would and since just 4 big12 teams would be left i don't think the big12 would be a conference anymore, so it's not like those four could keep bcs by adding schools which was apparently the plan last year when there were still five (current four plus mizzou).  

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: August 15, 2011, 01:49:42 PM »
I don't think conferences want to go to 16 teams.  I think some would if they could get a Texas or OU but I don't think anyone is going to 16 just to go to 16. 

that's exactly my thought and why i'm so scared if mizzou goes to the sec w/ a&m. that would be the nail in the coffin for the big12 imo because i think texas would pack up and go at that point. i think the pac10 would be willing to let them bring their network in order to get them. oklahoma would go with texas and osu would go with oklahoma. they would just need one more to make 16 and there would probably be some pressure on texas to bring along ttech. after that, what? i don't think anything. why at that point in time would someone want to add bu, isu, kstate or ku. i don't think anyone  would and since just 4 big12 teams would be left i don't think the big12 would be a conference anymore, so it's not like those four could keep bcs by adding schools which was apparently the plan last year when there were still five (current four plus mizzou).  

yeah, that is more likely than 5 16 team conferences imo

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: August 15, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »

I think the Big East would add KU, K-State and ISU in that scenario.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: August 15, 2011, 02:14:54 PM »

that's exactly my thought and why i'm so scared if mizzou goes to the sec w/ a&m. that would be the nail in the coffin for the big12 imo because i think texas would pack up and go at that point. i think the pac10 would be willing to let them bring their network in order to get them. oklahoma would go with texas and osu would go with oklahoma. they would just need one more to make 16 and there would probably be some pressure on texas to bring along ttech. after that, what? i don't think anything. why at that point in time would someone want to add bu, isu, kstate or ku. i don't think anyone  would and since just 4 big12 teams would be left i don't think the big12 would be a conference anymore, so it's not like those four could keep bcs by adding schools which was apparently the plan last year when there were still five (current four plus mizzou). 

the pac might as well add ku and ksu at that point. I mean, the revenue will be so diluted anyway, and it will give UT more teams to play in their timezone.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: August 15, 2011, 02:21:32 PM »

how many teams would that put in the big east? 20?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
The Pac10 would happily give us CU back if we asked. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »
I don't think conferences want to go to 16 teams.  I think some would if they could get a Texas or OU but I don't think anyone is going to 16 just to go to 16.  

how many teams would that put in the big east? 20?

12 football teams.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #8107 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:54 PM »

If it went down the way Daris mentions, the Big East would scoop the three of us up within a matter of days.  We round them up to twelve and protect them from complete and total annihilation when and if the Big Ten and SEC decide to pick at them.

The Big East desperately wants to expand it's football school listing, but they can't because of the unattractive options out there.  And even if it means adding three new mouths to their ever growing list of basketball schools, they'd find a way to make it happen when one of those names is Kansas.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: August 15, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
the big east was rough ridin' talking about adding villanova football. Of course they would scoop us up.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: August 15, 2011, 02:31:42 PM »

that's exactly my thought and why i'm so scared if mizzou goes to the sec w/ a&m. that would be the nail in the coffin for the big12 imo because i think texas would pack up and go at that point. i think the pac10 would be willing to let them bring their network in order to get them. oklahoma would go with texas and osu would go with oklahoma. they would just need one more to make 16 and there would probably be some pressure on texas to bring along ttech. after that, what? i don't think anything. why at that point in time would someone want to add bu, isu, kstate or ku. i don't think anyone  would and since just 4 big12 teams would be left i don't think the big12 would be a conference anymore, so it's not like those four could keep bcs by adding schools which was apparently the plan last year when there were still five (current four plus mizzou). 

the pac might as well add ku and ksu at that point. I mean, the revenue will be so diluted anyway, and it will give UT more teams to play in their timezone.

getting texas and ou fball and pretty much the whole state of texas and the whole state of oklahoma tv systems by only adding four teams does not dilute anything. they would have their four team pod system and they would go go from there with pretty much the whole western half of the us. also, i guess the big east would take us. man though, what a disgusting conference to have to be a part of. i guess there is that roadie to clearwater beach every other year.

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: August 15, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »
god, can you imagine the look on cu's face if they have to be associated w/us again?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: August 15, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »

getting texas and ou fball and pretty much the whole state of texas and the whole state of oklahoma tv systems by only adding four teams does not dilute anything. they would have their four team pod system and they would go go from there with pretty much the whole western half of the us. also, i guess the big east would take us. man though, what a disgusting conference to have to be a part of. i guess there is that roadie to clearwater beach every other year.

You don't lose revenue much when you go from 1/16 of a share to 1/18 of a share is what I'm saying. You add the KC market, so it isn't like KU and KSU are total dead weight. I mean, if we were pure dead weight, why are we even in the Big 12?

p.s. The Pac 18 will be three 6 team divisions with a wild card and a Dr. Pepper playoff for the title! :excited:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:40:45 PM by michigancat »

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: August 15, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »

In football, yeah, but in basketball, it would be amazing.

And in that scenario, you get one more at large BCS bid in the meantime since the Big 12's would be gone.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: August 15, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »
Big East roadys would suck balls and ballsacks and taints  :embarrassed:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: August 15, 2011, 02:42:18 PM »

OU including OSU saves them a legislative headache.  In addition to the political reasons, Texas will try to completely replace ATM with TT - thanksgiving game and everything.  while KU and/or KSU would increase the footprint, it is not enough to overcome the problems of leaving OSU or TTU behind.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8115 on: August 15, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »

OU including OSU saves them a legislative headache.  In addition to the political reasons, Texas will try to completely replace ATM with TT - thanksgiving game and everything.  while KU and/or KSU would increase the footprint, it is not enough to overcome the problems of leaving OSU or TTU behind.

We should lobby DeLoss to move our game with Texas to Thanksgiving. Then they might feel compelled to take their Turkey Day rival with them wherever they end up.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: August 15, 2011, 02:45:49 PM »

And in that scenario, you get one more at large BCS bid in the meantime since the Big 12's would be gone.

was thinking more about the towns and the parts of the country and how far away most of them are and for the most part how smelly and cold and dreary they all are with people that are probably very unhappy and unnecessarily condescending and verbally aggresive. not looking forward to that at all.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: August 15, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »

was thinking more about the towns and the parts of the country and how far away most of them are and for the most part how smelly and cold and dreary they all are with people that are probably very unhappy and unnecessarily condescending and verbally aggresive. not looking forward to that at all.

Agreed.

Only upside is that many have direct flights from places like MCI.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: August 15, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
Yeah, Fort Worth is the gem of a Big East roadie. Think about that for a second.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: August 15, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »
Refugee (I have what I consider to be 15 safe additions):

Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Louisville
Miami
NC State
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse
TCU
UConn
Virgina

This is a combination any school leftover that is (A) a public institution, (B) has a stadium that holds at least 44,000 (that they don't lease from a pro sports team), or (C) currently lives in a BCS conference.  I forgot to add TCU earlier because starting in 2012, they'll be in the Big East, so, yeah, they're in there.

The schools that would fight for the sixteenth spot:

Cincinnati
USF
BYU

Man,  Virginia would quit giving athletic scholarships and go Ivy and Clemson may just commit hari kari

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: August 15, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »

Yeah, that would suck.

Tampa's pretty nice for the most part.  It would take an act of God for me to step foot in West Virginia again.  What a horrible, horrible place.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: August 15, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »

I haven't been online most of the day, and for some very stupid reason I just went over to the Wabash to check in to see if anything new has happened....read the very old Chip Brown article and looked at the posts.

HOLY HELL.

NONE of those people get it.  It's terrifying.   When I go over there, I feel like we are fighting the black plague and these guys are still telling everyone it's not safe to bathe.  I mean, wow. 

I am scared to death that if we loose Currie/Shulzy, chowder heads like those people will immediately prop up another Weefs/Krause.

We are this close to being run by mouth-breathing trolls with zero understanding of the powerful forces at work in the outside world.

Terrifying.

I guess in a way I kind of envy them.  I mean, people with brain damage and retardation don't worry about the things that "normal" people worry about and that gives them a kind of freedom and happiness that we don't have....but someone still has to pay the bills and fight the bad guys, ya know?

I guess what I am saying is that I need a hug.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: August 15, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »

I haven't been online most of the day, and for some very stupid reason I just went over to the Wabash to check in to see if anything new has happened....read the very old Chip Brown article and looked at the posts.

HOLY HELL.

NONE of those people get it.  It's terrifying.   When I go over there, I feel like we are fighting the black plague and these guys are still telling everyone it's not safe to bathe.  I mean, wow. 

I am scared to death that if we loose Currie/Shulzy, chowder heads like those people will immediately prop up another Weefs/Krause.

We are this close to being run by mouth-breathing trolls with zero understanding of the powerful forces at work in the outside world.

Terrifying.

I guess in a way I kind of envy them.  I mean, people with brain damage and retardation don't worry about the things that "normal" people worry about and that gives them a kind of freedom and happiness that we don't have....but someone still has to pay the bills and fight the bad guys, ya know?

:bartender:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: August 15, 2011, 03:05:45 PM »

HOLY HELL.

Terrifying.

I guess in a way I kind of envy them.  I mean, people with brain damage and respectation don't worry about the things that "normal" people worry about and that gives them a kind of freedom and happiness that we don't have....but someone still has to pay the bills and fight the bad guys, ya know?

I assume at least 50% of the posts say we'll be okay because "The Legend" is coaching us, right?

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: August 15, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
I assume at least 50% of the posts say we'll be okay because "The Legend" is coaching us, right?

1)He is a legend

2)Why won't you just leave them alone?  :confused: