Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066806 times)

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #36425 on: December 08, 2023, 12:15:47 AM »
The NFL should just go ahead and allow 18 year olds into the draft.

If it were beneficial they would have long ago.
Yep. Unless they start a farm system, it doesnt benefit them to water down their product.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36426 on: December 08, 2023, 07:26:27 AM »
I fully expect this to affect other sports outside of FB once their new superconference proceeds.
Very likely. We'll probably be relegated to the minor leagues for coaches and players in all major sports. The new "mid-majors" if you you will. We'll find the diamonds in the rough, then the majors saunter in with their swinging sacks of cash and money whip everybody.

I've heard people talk about it won't matter with the 12 team playoff. We'll see when there are 4 SEC and 4 BIG 10 teams every year. Then they'll split the lion's share of the post season money as well. Also, the seeding will be to their advantage at every opportunity. It's only a matter of time before they'll want the March Madness money, and maybe the CWS too.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. They're the best, so now they get twice as much money. Then, when they get twice as much money they'll buy the best coaches, players, facilities, amenities. That will make them 10 times better, so they'll want 10x as much money, etc.

Honestly who cares. In practice this applies to all but like 20 schools in the country. Give me a competitive regional-ish conference with rivalry games and I'll have fun. We get to a playoff? Great, that will be fun too even if it's a long shot.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36427 on: December 08, 2023, 08:23:27 AM »
I fully expect this to affect other sports outside of FB once their new superconference proceeds.
Very likely. We'll probably be relegated to the minor leagues for coaches and players in all major sports. The new "mid-majors" if you you will. We'll find the diamonds in the rough, then the majors saunter in with their swinging sacks of cash and money whip everybody.

I've heard people talk about it won't matter with the 12 team playoff. We'll see when there are 4 SEC and 4 BIG 10 teams every year. Then they'll split the lion's share of the post season money as well. Also, the seeding will be to their advantage at every opportunity. It's only a matter of time before they'll want the March Madness money, and maybe the CWS too.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. They're the best, so now they get twice as much money. Then, when they get twice as much money they'll buy the best coaches, players, facilities, amenities. That will make them 10 times better, so they'll want 10x as much money, etc.

Honestly who cares. In practice this applies to all but like 20 schools in the country. Give me a competitive regional-ish conference with rivalry games and I'll have fun. We get to a playoff? Great, that will be fun too even if it's a long shot.

I agree.  This isn’t going to be the current sitch where Alabama gets all benefit of the doubt, poll love, writer love, etc that would automatically put them in position to take something that others have earned. They will be in a different division entirely. I would be all for it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36428 on: December 08, 2023, 08:52:56 AM »

I agree.  This isn’t going to be the current sitch where Alabama gets all benefit of the doubt, poll love, writer love, etc that would automatically put them in position to take something that others have earned. They will be in a different division entirely. I would be all for it.

Yeah it's not like Mississippi or Minnesota will be getting the same benefit a Bama or Ohio State will get.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36429 on: December 08, 2023, 10:31:48 AM »

Yeah it's not like Mississippi or Minnesota will be getting the same benefit a Bama or Ohio State will get.
I think you greatly underestimate the value that the program and their fans get from having “a seat at the table.”

The Big 12 and ACC top programs won’t have seats at the table in the same way that the big 10 and ACC bottom feeders do. That’s a big deal when it comes to exposure and perception.

Who watches minor league baseball?  The Royals usually suck balls, and they get way more viewers than dynamite AAA teams. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36430 on: December 08, 2023, 10:32:41 AM »
Rusty, you are in the minority of sports fans. You are a hard core. Most humans are not like you.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36431 on: December 08, 2023, 10:39:17 AM »
K-State has about 450 student-athletes.  At $30,000 a piece for half of them puts our minimum buy-in at $6,750,000.  Is that something we could maintain?  I'm guessing we wouldn't even be competitive without capped salaries?  :dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #36432 on: December 08, 2023, 10:45:22 AM »
K-State has about 450 student-athletes.  At $30,000 a piece for half of them puts our minimum buy-in at $6,750,000.  Is that something we could maintain?  I'm guessing we wouldn't even be competitive without capped salaries?  :dunno:
Absolutely it's something we could maintain.

The problem is that coaching salaries have about tripled in the last 20 years.  At programs like K-State, something will have to give there.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36433 on: December 08, 2023, 10:54:17 AM »

I agree.  This isn%u2019t going to be the current sitch where Alabama gets all benefit of the doubt, poll love, writer love, etc that would automatically put them in position to take something that others have earned. They will be in a different division entirely. I would be all for it.

I think you greatly underestimate the value that the program and their fans get from having %u201Ca seat at the table.%u201D

The Big 12 and ACC top programs won%u2019t have seats at the table in the same way that the big 10 and ACC bottom feeders do. That%u2019s a big deal when it comes to exposure and perception.

I totally disagree with that. Those big 10 and SEC bottom feeders won't get the SEC bump and will always be at risk of a Michigan saying, "wait, why does Purdue and Indiana get just as much as we get?". The ability to compete for conference titles that lead to a playoff against the top leagues is fun!

Who watches minor league baseball?  The Royals usually suck balls, and they get way more viewers than dynamite AAA teams. 

College football IS minor league football! We still play Kansas! We will be playing Deion! Farmageddon! Gundy! Trashy Arizona State and religious weirdo BYU! it will all be a lot of fun and we will still have a chance for the playoffs. Will we compete against Bama? Highly unlikely, but that wasn't happening before this clear divide either. The separation was there, just might not have been as obvious to the casual observer.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36434 on: December 08, 2023, 12:39:10 PM »

I agree.  This isn%u2019t going to be the current sitch where Alabama gets all benefit of the doubt, poll love, writer love, etc that would automatically put them in position to take something that others have earned. They will be in a different division entirely. I would be all for it.

I think you greatly underestimate the value that the program and their fans get from having %u201Ca seat at the table.%u201D

The Big 12 and ACC top programs won%u2019t have seats at the table in the same way that the big 10 and ACC bottom feeders do. That%u2019s a big deal when it comes to exposure and perception.

I totally disagree with that. Those big 10 and SEC bottom feeders won't get the SEC bump and will always be at risk of a Michigan saying, "wait, why does Purdue and Indiana get just as much as we get?". The ability to compete for conference titles that lead to a playoff against the top leagues is fun!

College football IS minor league football! We still play Kansas! We will be playing Deion! Farmageddon! Gundy! Trashy Arizona State and religious weirdo BYU! it will all be a lot of fun and we will still have a chance for the playoffs. Will we compete against Bama? Highly unlikely, but that wasn't happening before this clear divide either. The separation was there, just might not have been as obvious to the casual observer.
You are wrong about everything. Frankly, if they created an AI and told it to do the opposite of reality, it would be you.  That’s what you are, you are Mr. contrarian-roboto. 

I also love you. Go cats

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36435 on: December 08, 2023, 12:43:47 PM »
You are wrong about everything. Frankly, if they created an AI and told it to do the opposite of reality, it would be you.  That’s what you are, you are Mr. contrarian-roboto. 

I also love you. Go cats

:cheers: (one non-alcoholic)

love you too my fellow cat (who is wrong)

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36436 on: December 08, 2023, 01:03:22 PM »

I also love you. Go cats

I agree the natural progression will lead to the big 10 and SEC bottom feeders getting kicked out of the "premier league", at least in football. However, college football is not the minor leagues simply because those 18-20 years olds CAN'T go pro, therefore they are the best in the world at what they do for their age. I think Mich is looking at the future through today's eyes. Our league will be fun for a few years, or until we stink. In a couple decades it will be marginally better than a San Jose State vs North Texas game.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36437 on: December 08, 2023, 01:09:26 PM »

I also love you. Go cats

I agree the natural progression will lead to the big 10 and SEC bottom feeders getting kicked out of the "premier league", at least in football. However, college football is not the minor leagues simply because those 18-20 years olds CAN'T go pro, therefore they are the best in the world at what they do for their age. I think Mich is looking at the future through today's eyes. Our league will be fun for a few years, or until we stink. In a couple decades it will be marginally better than a San Jose State vs North Texas game.

yeah I kind of disagree with what you're saying in the second half of the post because of what you say in the first half. There are plenty of 18-20 year olds with NFL inspiration who won't be able to play in the B1GSEC. Where will they go? Not SJSU or North Texas. Schools like KSU, CU, OSU, VaTech, Louisville, etc. will continue to pull overlooked 3 and even 4 star recruits that lead to compelling football being played. There is too much infrastructure in place for us to turn into Troy State in the next 20 years and probably our lifetimes.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36438 on: December 08, 2023, 01:12:10 PM »

I also love you. Go cats

The only thing that separates college football from being a minor league is the tie that people have to the universities. Nobody would watch it if athletics were separated and attempted to go their own way with some sort of junior professional league.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36439 on: December 08, 2023, 01:33:34 PM »

I also love you. Go cats

yeah I kind of disagree with what you're saying in the second half of the post because of what you say in the first half. There are plenty of 18-20 year olds with NFL inspiration who won't be able to play in the B1GSEC. Where will they go? Not SJSU or North Texas. Schools like KSU, CU, OSU, VaTech, Louisville, etc. will continue to pull overlooked 3 and even 4 star recruits that lead to compelling football being played. There is too much infrastructure in place for us to turn into Troy State in the next 20 years and probably our lifetimes.
True, that's a very good point that good players will still be available. For me though, it's relative. I'll bet people won't be watching on TV near as much, going to near as many games, or donating near as much money to the "less than" league teams after a few years. Especially after a couple down seasons.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #36440 on: December 08, 2023, 01:46:20 PM »

I also love you. Go cats

The only thing that separates college football from being a minor league is the tie that people have to the universities. Nobody would watch it if athletics were separated and attempted to go their own way with some sort of junior professional league.

Agree 100%
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36441 on: December 08, 2023, 01:50:11 PM »
It seems complicated. Because lots of fans of a college team really have no direct affiliation with the school themselves.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36442 on: December 08, 2023, 01:53:14 PM »
It seems complicated. Because lots of fans of a college team really have no direct affiliation with the school themselves.
For the big time successful programs that is indisputably true.

For middling programs, seems like they have a much higher ratio of “tie to the U” (e.g. my kid went there, I own a bar that the students go to, etc)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36443 on: December 08, 2023, 02:05:33 PM »
Lots of people like me follow K-State sports because they're alumni of the university, not because of the prestige of the conference they're in.  Yeah, you'll get t-shirt fans of places like KU, but those t-shirt fans disappear fairly soon after those programs aren't in the spotlight. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36444 on: December 08, 2023, 02:31:07 PM »

I also love you. Go cats

True, that's a very good point that good players will still be available. For me though, it's relative. I'll bet people won't be watching on TV near as much, going to near as many games, or donating near as much money to the "less than" league teams after a few years. Especially after a couple down seasons.

We'll see, but I think you'll find we're in a similar spot, especially because of the Pac school additions. We aren't in the old Big 12 for sure, but we also aren't in the Mountain West, AAC, or even the old Big East. We are much closer to being a "top dog" program in the new league which I think partially offsets the slightly lower prestige and lack of a UT or OU coming every season.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36445 on: December 08, 2023, 10:35:00 PM »
I watched a few podcasts this week that talked about the new setup.  They said even thou there will be a new league there will still be a chance for a team that is not usually in the top 25 but it wouldn't be normal.  The teams we will mostly see in the playoff will be teams that are normally in the top 25; so it won't be any different than it is now.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36446 on: December 19, 2023, 09:36:23 AM »
I know some of you won't watch, but if you want to know what I have been talking about for the last several months you might enjoy watching the first 20-25 minutes.  The rest is just a waste of time.

https://www.youtube.com/live/JAK_1HrW5ds?si=MHEzlO6GaqSd2gkG

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36447 on: December 19, 2023, 09:58:03 AM »
I think it makes sense to keep your non-revenue sports in a regional conference so they don't become a giant money blackhole.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36448 on: December 19, 2023, 01:17:35 PM »
FB and BB should be separate network contracts based on groups of schools based on talent and not necessarily tied to a conference.  Conference sports that are not a money source should be regional and not tied to money-generating sports.  Conferences should not receive the network contract funds but should be divided among the schools that are competing in FB.  Same for BB.

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36449 on: December 20, 2023, 09:40:58 AM »
In a few years, if there's a new top-tier-$$$ division, what's stopping someone from creating a 'university' in a highly populated area, with the money and resources to literally just build and buy a team.

If anything, it could make for a funny movie.  Think "Old School", but with college football.