Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066868 times)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33600 on: July 06, 2022, 04:05:21 PM »
BIG XL

Lol where is Oklahoma State?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33601 on: July 06, 2022, 04:05:49 PM »
I don't understand why AZ or ASU would want to delay the inevitable.  There is nothing stable about that.  They could inflict chaos and push Oregon or Washington to join Big 12 or ACC....which would be a fun jab knowing they give zero fucks about all other PAC 12 members once big 10 calls.

You have to remember that this is the PAC first punch in the gut. We are veterans in this and know that Wash/Org are leaving, if not now they will the next time the Big10 gets hungry.

It's like a couple where one person cheats but they decide to “work things out". We have been cheated on enough to know it's bullshit and just to get as much as we can in the divorce. They are still in denial.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33602 on: July 06, 2022, 04:06:45 PM »
USC/UCLA was a complete shock to PAC 12 schools. They're gonna need a minute to figure out what they want to do. We're in a pretty great position.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33603 on: July 06, 2022, 04:10:20 PM »
I don't understand why AZ or ASU would want to delay the inevitable.  There is nothing stable about that.  They could inflict chaos and push Oregon or Washington to join Big 12 or ACC....which would be a fun jab knowing they give zero fucks about all other PAC 12 members once big 10 calls.

You have to remember that this is the PAC first punch in the gut. We are veterans in this and know that Wash/Org are leaving, if not now they will the next time the Big10 gets hungry.

It's like a couple where one person cheats but they decide to “work things out". We have been cheated on enough to know it's bullshit and just to get as much as we can in the divorce. They are still in denial.

Need to jump at ASU and AZ now.  If they (or any other 2 teams) leave the conference is finished. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline bozocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33604 on: July 06, 2022, 04:12:12 PM »
BIG XL

Lol where is Oklahoma State?

Copy/Paste error.  Replace CSU, naturally

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33605 on: July 06, 2022, 05:37:38 PM »
It’s pretty wild how all this conference realignment stuff correlates to Colin Woodard’s “American Nations.”

Most notably how the Deep South and Yankeedom are swallowing up large swaths of Tidewater, the Left Coast, the Far West and the Midlands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33606 on: July 06, 2022, 06:29:52 PM »
Too quiet today, don't like this one bit.

Twitterverse thinks the ACC thing has legs. Nothing from anyone reliable but my guess is there is everyone is waiting for the details (read $) of that to work out.

The ACC thing was with the Pac 12 North schools tho, correct?

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33607 on: July 06, 2022, 06:39:00 PM »
Too quiet today, don't like this one bit.

Twitterverse thinks the ACC thing has legs. Nothing from anyone reliable but my guess is there is everyone is waiting for the details (read $) of that to work out.

The ACC thing was with the Pac 12 North schools tho, correct?

Even in Twitterverse the details are sketchy but it seems to be for the entire remaining Pac 10.  I've seen things that sound like an almost merger (i.e. each champion plays each other plus a scheduling agreement)  Again, nothing from a reliable source.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33608 on: July 06, 2022, 06:47:09 PM »
What I saw sounded like an "agreement" to schedule each other and have a championship versus merging.  Seems like a loser idea.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33610 on: July 06, 2022, 07:41:57 PM »
What I saw sounded like an "agreement" to schedule each other and have a championship versus merging.  Seems like a loser idea.

I can't see how that adds much value on a per-team basis.  The game can't be worth much more to ESPN than the Big 12 championship which they pay $20 mill for.  If you assume that they spilt it equally between the two leagues it is only $1 mill more per year for the remaining Pac (assuming they stay at 10). 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33611 on: July 06, 2022, 07:43:21 PM »
Here's one potential ACC deal. TV deal. From what I gather, it's a band-aid at best.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1544826677246697479

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33612 on: July 06, 2022, 07:47:46 PM »
One burned out wreck of a conference, and another that's stuffing the gas soaked towels into the rafters. 

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33613 on: July 06, 2022, 07:49:03 PM »
Guys, nothing is happening anytime soon. BigTen isn’t taking Oregon and Washington anytime soon. No schools are leaving the PAC until Oregon & Washington leaving is imminent. If they leave, the Big12 will still take whoever they want then. We’re not telling the Arizona schools, Utah or Colorado no in 9 months because they didn’t come now.  The Big12 I’m sure is trying to talk to those schools, but the “they’re meeting on Tuesday” was a lie by a guy with 7k twitter followers trying to sell subscriptions & in the 3% chance something happened right away he could claim he was right.

I doubt is was a total lie probably just some phone calls to start the conversation to see both sides had enough interest to start talking to media partners etc

Ross Dellinger at SI is the first person I’d consider reputable publish anything on it. The whole thing seems odd to me, but they’re dealing with ESPN. However, I’d give it a higher chance than most others are giving it because ESPN may push it to keep the west coast inventory for later kickoffs. They’d make the PAC schools sign a GOR however, which would trigger the BigTen to decide if they’re really done or not. The partnership push should give everyone contract backed answers a lot sooner and may lead to the BigTen killing the PAC sooner.

I’d also be worried that the PAC might try to pick off a couple Big12 schools, but it would be KU (wants to be gone, FB sucks) & probably 1 more (hopefully Baylor). We back fill 2 spots, still have a fun as hell FB league & when the BigTen/SEC poach again in the early 2030s we’re right back to where we were always going to anyway. Also, the ESPN backed partnership would reinforce the Big12 further as Fox’s second partner.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33614 on: July 06, 2022, 07:51:58 PM »
Guys, nothing is happening anytime soon. BigTen isn’t taking Oregon and Washington anytime soon. No schools are leaving the PAC until Oregon & Washington leaving is imminent. If they leave, the Big12 will still take whoever they want then. We’re not telling the Arizona schools, Utah or Colorado no in 9 months because they didn’t come now.  The Big12 I’m sure is trying to talk to those schools, but the “they’re meeting on Tuesday” was a lie by a guy with 7k twitter followers trying to sell subscriptions & in the 3% chance something happened right away he could claim he was right.

I doubt is was a total lie probably just some phone calls to start the conversation to see both sides had enough interest to start talking to media partners etc

Ross Dellinger at SI is the first person I’d consider reputable publish anything on it. The whole thing seems odd to me, but they’re dealing with ESPN. However, I’d give it a higher chance than most others are giving it because ESPN may push it to keep the west coast inventory for later kickoffs. They’d make the PAC schools sign a GOR however, which would trigger the BigTen to decide if they’re really done or not. The partnership push should give everyone contract backed answers a lot sooner and may lead to the BigTen killing the PAC sooner.

I’d also be worried that the PAC might try to pick off a couple Big12 schools, but it would be KU (wants to be gone, FB sucks) & probably 1 more (hopefully Baylor). We back fill 2 spots, still have a fun as hell FB league & when the BigTen/SEC poach again in the early 2030s we’re right back to where we were always going to anyway. Also, the ESPN backed partnership would reinforce the Big12 further as Fox’s second partner.

The ACC/PAC deal moves no needles.  It's worthless.

The 4th and 5th conferences just flailing around.  One is dead, another woke up and realized it was in a terrible TV contract for the next 14 years.   The end.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33615 on: July 06, 2022, 07:54:25 PM »
Here's one potential ACC deal. TV deal. From what I gather, it's a band-aid at best.

That is interesting.  It solves the Pac network issue of not being able to get a very wide distribution with their own network.  Just tying that to ESPN would increase the revenue since it would be on more cable systems but not sure if it changes that actual profit since ESPN is going to take some to cover costs.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33616 on: July 06, 2022, 08:03:54 PM »

That is interesting.  It solves the Pac network issue of not being able to get a very wide distribution with their own network.  Just tying that to ESPN would increase the revenue since it would be on more cable systems but not sure if it changes that actual profit since ESPN is going to take some to cover costs.

I don't see how that's remotely good enough to keep the mountain schools from bolting, that's even if ESPN wants to do this. Whatever digital network we're going to get will be much better than the 1 game, after 7:00 PM Pacific, the PAC 10 schools would get on the ACC Network.

Also, no way in hell ESPN is giving the ACC more money, there's zero motivation to do that.

I hope it gets done, it will offer a bit of a lifeline for the 6 PAC 10 teams without a home. If the mountain schools stay for that, they'll get what they deserve.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33617 on: July 06, 2022, 08:09:51 PM »
Come home, Colorado.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33618 on: July 06, 2022, 08:10:34 PM »
This sounds a little like their commish telling them what they want to hear and hoping they don't pay attention to the details.  I know from reading Wilner columns over the years that the PAC schools have been fairly pissed about how badly their network was handled.  This does solve that problem for them, but I agree, I don't see how this fixes the reality of today.  They are still one call from the Big10 from blowing up and probably still going be behind the Big 12 and ACC in money without their big 2.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33619 on: July 06, 2022, 08:11:27 PM »
John Ourand, Sports Business Journal, on his podcast this week, said the Big 10 was literally a couple of days from announcing their new media deal before the announcement of the LA schools. He thinks now they will get the deal done in August.

I don't think this round of expansion will last long. After the Big 10, the Pac 10 will be on the clock. Oregon, Washington, and Stanford will know if they're being called, within the next week or two. Then they'll need to figure out if they're going to grab Mountain West schools or if it will be every school for itself.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33620 on: July 06, 2022, 08:12:40 PM »
This sounds a little like their commish telling them what they want to hear and hoping they don't pay attention to the details.  I know from reading Wilner columns over the years that the PAC schools have been fairly pissed about how badly their network was handled.  This does solve that problem for them, but I agree, I don't see how this fixes the reality of today.  They are still one call from the Big10 from blowing up and probably still going be behind the Big 12 and ACC in money without their big 2.

If they think getting 1/4 or 1/3 of the ACC Network solves that problem then Godspeed for them

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33621 on: July 06, 2022, 08:14:49 PM »
gE tailgate on the water v. Washington  :love:

This is priority #1 in any discussion.

For each post about new happenings or speculation, please include if it helps or hurts this end goal.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33622 on: July 06, 2022, 08:19:02 PM »
John Ourand, Sports Business Journal, on his podcast this week, said the Big 10 was literally a couple of days from announcing their new media deal before the announcement of the LA schools. He thinks now they will get the deal done in August.

I don't think this round of expansion will last long. After the Big 10, the Pac 10 will be on the clock. Oregon, Washington, and Stanford will know if they're being called, within the next week or two. Then they'll need to figure out if they're going to grab Mountain West schools or if it will be every school for itself.

It strikes me as odd, but not impossible, that these tectonic shifts happen that fast. UT/OU was said to have been in the works for quite a while before Cult Aggie spilled the tea. In any event, I hope someone (eventually) writes a book based on information collected from high-level A.D. sources about the behind-the-scenes stuff moving things along in realignment that we (currently) never get to hear about.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33623 on: July 06, 2022, 08:48:22 PM »
I'm actually going to link the podcast, they did 20 of the most substantiative minutes I've heard on this round of realignment. They just talk about the business of these media deals driving all of this. One interesting piece for me was why we, or any other conference, won't want a deal with Apple TV. These guys are very well connected to the TV sources, so their content is very good. They have been talking about a billion dollar Big 10 deal since they started the podcast in the fall. They also discuss why the Pac 10 saying they're starting media negotiations now, is pointless.

If you just want to hear the college stuff, it's 9:30-32:00

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-40-implications-of-usc-ucla-to-the-big-ten/id1587364692?i=1000568988431

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33624 on: July 06, 2022, 09:35:00 PM »
I'm actually going to link the podcast, they did 20 of the most substantiative minutes I've heard on this round of realignment. They just talk about the business of these media deals driving all of this. One interesting piece for me was why we, or any other conference, won't want a deal with Apple TV. These guys are very well connected to the TV sources, so their content is very good. They have been talking about a billion dollar Big 10 deal since they started the podcast in the fall. They also discuss why the Pac 10 saying they're starting media negotiations now, is pointless.

If you just want to hear the college stuff, it's 9:30-32:00

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-40-implications-of-usc-ucla-to-the-big-ten/id1587364692?i=1000568988431

I haven't listened to it yet but it would have to be difficult to figure out the time zone thing with those two conferences?  You would then have to figure the travel costs would be a factor?  Makes no sense.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever