Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4064668 times)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32475 on: September 03, 2021, 02:02:12 PM »
Definitely recommend not staying in Cinci unless you just want another downtown experience. Nothing special about it.

over the rhine totally rules, imo
That's a great thought. Grab a condo and enjoy some good food and brews.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32476 on: September 03, 2021, 03:48:29 PM »
GOOD MORNING PAK HEADS! Great news this AM

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1433770030366347267?s=21
Seems like all the obvious options. Although MIR kinda talked me into Memphis over Houston.

I don't care strongly either way, I understand why they are going with Houston, I just think it's an opportunity missed. It's also possible they aren't stopping at 12.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32477 on: September 03, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »
probably more fun than playing apathetic pac 12 teams

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32478 on: September 03, 2021, 04:44:34 PM »
probably more fun than playing apathetic pac 12 teams

That conference has all but given up on football
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32479 on: September 03, 2021, 05:23:09 PM »
I haven't really been following this but chum1 will a KSU @ Cincy game get you into a football stadium? because wow, I may come visit for us to do that. Just maul the place with us being how we are.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32480 on: September 03, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »
I haven't really been following this but chum1 will a KSU @ Cincy game get you into a football stadium? because wow, I may come visit for us to do that. Just maul the place with us being how we are.

Would probably need to plan out an entire weekend of goEMAW vice and decadence.

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32481 on: September 03, 2021, 06:10:17 PM »
ESPN on live TV literally just said University of Cincinnati UCF and Houston are at best moving to a lateral conference even hinting at the PAC 12 picking up Houston. Not too hard to see that ESPN was actively trying to facilitate the destruction  of the big 12.  Literally saying the schools  should wait to examine the landscape. It was on the UNC vs VA TECH game

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32482 on: September 03, 2021, 06:51:24 PM »
I do think ESPN tried to torpedo the Big 12, but that c-spiracy doesn't extend to Andre Ware, who, by the way is a Houston alum. That's just a dude with an overinflated image of his school. Houston has spent 27 years shitting on the Big 12 because they weren't invited. The grace and gratitude will eventually come but right now they still are using the coping mechanism that they are too good for us.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32483 on: September 03, 2021, 06:55:07 PM »
I know MiR is gonna yell at me, but I am curious to see what the TV revenue looks like for this conference. Obviously won't be as high as current B12, but will still probably be pretty decent. Will likely be a massive boost for the current AAC teams. $20m or so?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32484 on: September 03, 2021, 07:14:34 PM »
25 million
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32485 on: September 03, 2021, 07:17:03 PM »
I know MiR is gonna yell at me, but I am curious to see what the TV revenue looks like for this conference. Obviously won't be as high as current B12, but will still probably be pretty decent. Will likely be a massive boost for the current AAC teams. $20m or so?

Why would I yell at you? I think the deal could be around $20 million per but that depends on how it gets packaged. First of all, ESPN will still definitely still be involved with the bidding process. They have to fill those programming hours and having the AAC without three of the four schools that get any eyeballs at all has to be frightening for them.

The good thing about not having OU and UT out of the equation is that they can get creative with when they play games and what platforms they play them on. I don't think they're going to be exclusive with a streaming service, they realize that there are still large swaths of the conference footprint that doesn't have high speed internet access. I could see a streaming service get the network with third tier rights, similar to what we have with ESPN+ right now.

I've heard that CBS wants to stay in college football and the timing of their SEC deal expiring and our new deal starting works well for us.

I think $18 million is the floor, but that doesn't have anything to do with the conference, that's if something unforseen happens and sports rights fees bottom out, but we'll know if that happens before our bid process starts. I think the ceiling is $28 million. If I were a betting man I'd say we end up with a very long term deal, like the ACC has but it will be with Fox or CBS and the third tier rights/conference channel will go to ESPN+, Hulu, or Amazon. If it works out like this, we'll get the ceiling, possibly more. If we get more, like $30 million, people will dance in the streets, in 2024, but by 2039, when the deal is over, it will be LOLable.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32486 on: September 03, 2021, 07:27:59 PM »

Why would I yell at you? I think the deal could be around $20 million per but that depends on how it gets packaged. First of all, ESPN will still definitely still be involved with the bidding process. They have to fill those programming hours and having the AAC without three of the four schools that get any eyeballs at all has to be frightening for them.

The good thing about not having OU and UT out of the equation is that they can get creative with when they play games and what platforms they play them on. I don't think they're going to be exclusive with a streaming service, they realize that there are still large swaths of the conference footprint that doesn't have high speed internet access. I could see a streaming service get the network with third tier rights, similar to what we have with ESPN+ right now.

I've heard that CBS wants to stay in college football and the timing of their SEC deal expiring and our new deal starting works well for us.

I think $18 million is the floor, but that doesn't have anything to do with the conference, that's if something unforseen happens and sports rights fees bottom out, but we'll know if that happens before our bid process starts. I think the ceiling is $28 million. If I were a betting man I'd say we end up with a very long term deal, like the ACC has but it will be with Fox or CBS and the third tier rights/conference channel will go to ESPN+, Hulu, or Amazon. If it works out like this, we'll get the ceiling, possibly more. If we get more, like $30 million, people will dance in the streets, in 2024, but by 2039, when the deal is over, it will be LOLable.

I was mostly joking, but you've just spent the last 3 weeks PI'ing everyone in this thread.

I'd agree w all of that, if they get 30 mil that would be an insanely great deal, even if it is a long term contract. I am mostly interested to see if they're able to do an interesting streaming service deal. Not sure we should count out Youtube TV in there, they seem to be pretty invested in getting more sports on their platform.

Overall I think these 4 teams are about as well as the B12 could have done given the circumstances. I'm personally excited about Cincy bc I have family that are alums there and that should be a fun trip every few years.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32487 on: September 03, 2021, 07:29:54 PM »
25 million

Isn't the AAC getting like 5-6 mil right now? Gonna be a wild ride for them

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32488 on: September 03, 2021, 07:35:34 PM »
25 million

It's $7 million, before this deal, signed in 2019, they only got $2 million a year.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32489 on: September 03, 2021, 07:38:37 PM »
25 million

It's $7 million, before this deal, signed in 2019, they only got $2 million a year.

gotta feel good for those schools.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32490 on: September 03, 2021, 07:58:44 PM »
Also YTTV very may well be eventually involved with Big 12 media rights, but they haven't yet got into the sports media rights game, they seem content, for now anyway, with acquiring as many networks as possible. Hulu, ESPN+, and Amazon have all produced their own sports broadcasts to this point..

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32491 on: September 03, 2021, 08:44:02 PM »
Yeah, I hope YTTV doesn't get involved. I've seen our sub rate go from $45 a month to $65. Still cheaper than cable/Dish, but it's been a steady increase already. I mean, $100-120 bills is what got me to drop traditional TV in the first place. I guess it's not the dollar amount that sucked, just that I had no choice of what I paid for. I would gladly pay another $20 bucks a month if I knew i could get mostly Big12 games and could shaft the $EC, ACC, etc.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32492 on: September 03, 2021, 09:25:37 PM »
GOOD MORNING PAK HEADS! Great news this AM

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1433770030366347267?s=21
Seems like all the obvious options. Although MIR kinda talked me into Memphis over Houston.

I don't care strongly either way, I understand why they are going with Houston, I just think it's an opportunity missed. It's also possible they aren't stopping at 12.

I like Memphis as it gives the eastern block schools more regional games. I’d prob also rather have Boise St (for BYU). Also gives a stronger flag planted out west. Houston is good at sports, I don’t see what else they offer. Not that that isn’t important
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32493 on: September 03, 2021, 10:03:25 PM »
This crap better be on tv.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32494 on: September 03, 2021, 10:39:37 PM »
This crap better be on tv.

It probably won't be. Every MAC and Sun Belt game is on tv but nuB12 will be relegated to the radio. We'll probably lose Learfield too and will have to go back to Larry Steckline.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32495 on: September 04, 2021, 08:36:19 AM »
 :Auburn web site is advocating that SEC add UCF and Houston  before Big 12 adds them.  Wish they would so we could watch per team shares of tv revenue shrink back to Big 12 size, and OU / Texas never get to playoffs while losing relevance.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #32496 on: September 04, 2021, 09:49:18 AM »
Have we officially decided on what kind of aggies these new schools will be?

Disney/Mouse Aggie is great for UCF

I'm torn between Latter-Day Aggie and Underwear Aggie...Also Mountain Meadows Aggie has a good ring to it.

Commuter Aggie is a good one for Houston but could get confusing since it also works for Cincy and UCF. Maybe something to do with their big booster Fertitta, Rain Forest Cafe Aggie?

Cinci is the toughest one IMO because they are just so darn bland. Maybe Salt and Pepper Aggie? Ohio Aggie? Spaghetti Aggie? I'm going with Spaghetti Aggie for now.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #32497 on: September 04, 2021, 10:51:39 AM »
Fake Chili Aggie

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32498 on: September 04, 2021, 10:58:22 AM »
Mountain Meadows Aggie is nice benj.  Best part is many of them won’t get it and just think we’re complimenting the scenery.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32499 on: September 04, 2021, 03:19:23 PM »
Welcome Latter-Day Aggie, Directional Aggie, Commuter Aggie and CincinnAggie.

These name could cause confusion, because Cincy and UCF are commuter schools too, I think.  I think these need some more work, _33.  For Houston I was thinking of maybe Human Trafficking Aggie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Houston). For Cincy I prefer Spaghetti Vomit Aggie or WKRP Aggie.  For UCF, I think keeping it simple and going with Walt Disney Aggie is probably wise.  For BYU, I do love the Latter-Day Aggie and think that would work, but No Gays or Beers Aggie is also a legitimate contender.

oooh I do really like Disney Aggie.

mouse aggie.

latter day aggie can't be topped.  hurricane aggie for houston.  no idea for cincy, maybe just kick them out.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."