Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4051760 times)

Spaces and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32375 on: September 01, 2021, 03:03:04 PM »
Cincy, BYU, Memphis, UCF.  Geography is already screwed up because of WVU, so what the hell.  If we want to sub in Boise for Memphis, that's fine, i don't care.  But Cincy and BYU are absolutely no brainers, and I think UCF is pretty darn close too.

Yeah, either way gives another regional rival to the eastern teams or one to BYU.

I’m a Big-PAC pipe dreamer, but a Big 12 w/ these teams is cool w me.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32376 on: September 01, 2021, 03:21:47 PM »
Cincy, BYU, Memphis, UCF.  Geography is already screwed up because of WVU, so what the hell.  If we want to sub in Boise for Memphis, that's fine, i don't care.  But Cincy and BYU are absolutely no brainers, and I think UCF is pretty darn close too.

Effectively kills the AAC relative to our distance between them as a conference as well.  Does the timing in which we add them change our ability to extract exit fees from the departing members?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32377 on: September 01, 2021, 03:26:04 PM »
Joe Klatt explains what the Alliance does for media payouts.  Also tells about the more eyeballs per game that is needed for better contracts.

https://youtu.be/QO6LhqI1Nx8
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #32378 on: September 01, 2021, 03:29:35 PM »

Effectively kills the AAC relative to our distance between them as a conference as well.  Does the timing in which we add them change our ability to extract exit fees from the departing members?
i don't see why that would be the case. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32379 on: September 01, 2021, 03:32:12 PM »
As far as I can tell the Alliance is worthless.  No contract was signed and the schools on those conferences have already scheduled games a decade plus out in the future.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32380 on: September 01, 2021, 03:33:24 PM »
Somebody is famous.

https://twitter.com/BoardGeniuses/status/1433140389284827141?s=20

Shame thread.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"> <a href="https://t.co/5dPAjEGPrR">pic.twitter.com/5dPAjEGPrR</a></p>&mdash; Harry Palmdale (@NoSocksJonny) <a href="https://twitter.com/NoSocksJonny/status/1433140819939233796?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">I probably think you are a douche
 :ROFL:  :facepalm: :lol:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 03:43:15 PM by Katpappy »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32381 on: September 01, 2021, 03:39:51 PM »
As far as I can tell the Alliance is worthless.  No contract was signed and the schools on those conferences have already scheduled games a decade plus out in the future.

Did you listen to the podcast?  He covers this for future contracts.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32382 on: September 01, 2021, 03:56:11 PM »

Houston makes more sense than any of these schools.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32383 on: September 01, 2021, 06:00:39 PM »
Somebody is famous.

https://twitter.com/BoardGeniuses/status/1433140389284827141?s=20

:ROFL: I was wondering when gE would make it on there, well done RATM, having bat crap crazy takes has an upside now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32384 on: September 01, 2021, 06:13:19 PM »

Sure does not, and we should add schools before they leave. The biggest issue with adding the AAC schools would be their exit fees.

Houston makes more sense than any of these schools.

Come on man, you're doing this on purpose now, right? I'm pro Houston but they make more sense in literally every other power conference outside of the Big 12. They would give us more viewers in Houston, but it doesn't open up a new market.   

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32385 on: September 01, 2021, 07:07:31 PM »
Yeah, why would we want a program that has regularly been solid in football for the past decade+, when we could gain 5% of the Tennessee market instead? We already have west Texas and religious weirdos in DFW locked down. I don't even care about playing Houston, but it makes no sense to add schools that won't be fun to play while leaving Houston out. Either add fun schools (CSU, USU), or add money schools (BYU, Houston). Don't add Memphis over Houston, though. Makes no sense.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32386 on: September 01, 2021, 07:08:06 PM »
Isn’t @sys an Aggie of the USU kind?

yes, proud aggiecat here.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32387 on: September 01, 2021, 08:49:32 PM »
Yeah, why would we want a program that has regularly been solid in football for the past decade+, when we could gain 5% of the Tennessee market instead? We already have west Texas and religious weirdos in DFW locked down. I don't even care about playing Houston, but it makes no sense to add schools that won't be fun to play while leaving Houston out. Either add fun schools (CSU, USU), or add money schools (BYU, Houston). Don't add Memphis over Houston, though. Makes no sense.

Miss me with this fun to play thing, that means absolutely nothing. When we added TCU they were coming off of a Rose Bowl ffs, what's more fun to play than that? They've been as insignificant to us a fans as a conference school can be and that's with an alum as a football coach.

As I said, I think Houston would be a great add, but not for the Big 12, we need new markets and recruiting territories, especially if the nu big 12 will attempt a television network. The Pac didn't add Colorado and Utah because they were fun. The SEC didn't add Mizzou and A&M because they were fun, those were middling programs when they were added. The Big 10 sure in the hell didn't add Maryland and Rutgers because they are fun, those were business decisions and damn good ones that were mocked at the time.

The differences in athletic programs at Memphis and Houston aren't even close to big enough to ignore the good business reasons to go into Memphis instead of adding another flag to a place where we already have one planted.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32388 on: September 01, 2021, 09:36:14 PM »
I really don't think we need the Fertitta family involved in the conference unless we get made an offer we can't refuse.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32389 on: September 01, 2021, 09:58:13 PM »
https://www.al.com/uab/2021/08/with-uab-big-12-can-plant-flag-on-sec-doorstep.html
An opportunity exists for the Big 12 to plant its flags on the doorstep of the SEC...
...and it's not one to be taken lightly?

:surprised:
47,000 bigger than
UCF
Cincinnati
Boise
Utah
Oregon State
Boston College
TCU
Baylor
Houston
Vandy
Duke
Wake Forest
https://twitter.com/ProtectiveStdm/status/1432731180353327116

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32390 on: September 01, 2021, 10:25:37 PM »
Just watched UAB play JSU tonight and they drummed them.  I enjoyed it and I'm sure the 25 hundred fans did too.  :thumbs:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32391 on: September 02, 2021, 02:08:54 AM »
Just watched UAB play JSU tonight and they drummed them.  I enjoyed it and I'm sure the 25 hundred fans did too.  :thumbs:

That was a neutral site game. I'm 100% certain we shouldn't be clowning any other fan base for neutral site attendance. I couldn't imagine how shitty the attendance would be if we played Missouri State in Kansas City on a Wednesday night.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32392 on: September 02, 2021, 09:08:12 AM »
https://www.al.com/uab/2021/08/with-uab-big-12-can-plant-flag-on-sec-doorstep.html
An opportunity exists for the Big 12 to plant its flags on the doorstep of the SEC...
...and it's not one to be taken lightly?

:surprised:
47,000 bigger than
UCF
Cincinnati
Boise
Utah
Oregon State
Boston College
TCU
Baylor
Houston
Vandy
Duke
Wake Forest
https://twitter.com/ProtectiveStdm/status/1432731180353327116

That's very nearly BSFS

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32393 on: September 02, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »

Miss me with this fun to play thing, that means absolutely nothing. When we added TCU they were coming off of a Rose Bowl ffs, what's more fun to play than that? They've been as insignificant to us a fans as a conference school can be and that's with an alum as a football coach.

As I said, I think Houston would be a great add, but not for the Big 12, we need new markets and recruiting territories, especially if the nu big 12 will attempt a television network. The Pac didn't add Colorado and Utah because they were fun. The SEC didn't add Mizzou and A&M because they were fun, those were middling programs when they were added. The Big 10 sure in the hell didn't add Maryland and Rutgers because they are fun, those were business decisions and damn good ones that were mocked at the time.

The differences in athletic programs at Memphis and Houston aren't even close to big enough to ignore the good business reasons to go into Memphis instead of adding another flag to a place where we already have one planted.

This is why a southern approach of UAB and Tulane would be interesting.  Too much of a support reach to bring Tulane along, likely, but for a roadie destination - after hurricane season....

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32394 on: September 02, 2021, 10:04:37 AM »
No more private schools, unless they are ginormous like BYU.  BYU has 30K full time undergrads.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32395 on: September 02, 2021, 10:08:35 AM »

TCU was never in the "fun to play" category because they are a small private school that none of us have ever had any reason to care about. They provide big games when they are ranked, but otherwise, I don't really care about them. Kansas is fun to play for obvious reasons. ISU has always been fun to play, and even more so now that they are decent at football. Colorado State would be like Iowa State. UAB would be like playing a 5th OOC game every year, only it's always against UAB. It would be awful.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #32396 on: September 02, 2021, 10:22:40 AM »
I've never thought Iowa State was "fun to play". Other than the recent "internet smack talk", I've never thought twice about them. They're an absolute dump!

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32397 on: September 02, 2021, 10:27:18 AM »
Not only would UAB not be fun to play, I have never heard one goddamn person in my entire life say they want to take a trip to Birmingham, Alabama.  Hard pass.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32398 on: September 02, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
I've never thought Iowa State was "fun to play". Other than the recent "internet smack talk", I've never thought twice about them. They're an absolute dump!

They have never been a game that I circled on the calendar, but looking at what we have left, they are easily going to be in the top 3 most important games every season moving forward.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32399 on: September 02, 2021, 10:35:07 AM »
Also, Manhattan, KS is likely to be the best road trip destination in the whole conference. Morgantown might be better, but nobody else in the conference is close enough to them to regularly make that trip.