Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4062312 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32300 on: August 27, 2021, 11:48:19 AM »
I think MiR's point is that we could play in a weaker conference and make less money and take a hit in recruiting in a nu-B12 compared to a P12 scenario but still have more fun as fans in the process.

Of all people I'd think this board could get behind this given we seem to be the most miserable fans in college athletics. I'm certain Boise fans love college football more than we do right now.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #32301 on: August 27, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »
BYU, Houston, Cincy, and UCF. Wrap it up!

Also, nobody mentions UCONN, but I would!

Their football program is worse than KU with little to no potential of getting better.
I know, but man, they didn't always use to be that bad. I remember them in BCS bowl games not too long ago (I'm sure it was really long ago, I'm getting old).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32302 on: August 27, 2021, 11:53:46 AM »
BYU & Houston and we should not add anymore

I like this because it has less of a New AAC feel than other expansion options.

Would still leave the long term prospects of the conference vulnerable. If we stayed at 10 and West Virginia eventually gets that ACC invite, or KU gets that Big 10 invite down the road :ROFL: or BYU wrecks crap in the Big 12 and the LDS Church takes a more relaxed approach to the honor code at some point and looks more attractive to the PAC, we'd be right back here.

If we're going to essentially be coast to coast we should go 14 or 16

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32303 on: August 27, 2021, 11:56:44 AM »
I had an Ahearn Fund staff member meet me in Des Moines and took me out to lunch with the intent of me increasing my donation and how that would be beneficial to me and the department.

Personally, that would make me want to donate less.

I appreciated the individualized attention and I did give more after that but that was more the prospect of a volleyball arena than someone driving to Des Moines to take a few donors to lunch. This is also an example of how we spent that $15 million a year that no regular sports fan sees or will miss.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32304 on: August 27, 2021, 11:58:42 AM »
The PAC-12 doesn’t deserve more money and any TV exec that agrees to give them more money in their current form should be fired. If it’s a publicly traded company and you hold stock, sell it. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32306 on: August 27, 2021, 12:09:37 PM »
I irl lol'ed
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #32307 on: August 27, 2021, 12:11:42 PM »
I think MiR's point is that we could play in a weaker conference and make less money and take a hit in recruiting in a nu-B12 compared to a P12 scenario but still have more fun as fans in the process.

Agree Rusty. Like, I get that people want access to the playoffs, but lets be realistic here. Our staff belongs in a lower tier and we have never recruited even close to the upper tier. I would much rather have the chance a "whatever" conference title and bitch and complain about being left out every couple years than winning 6 games every year with 2 of those wins being teams our coach used to beat in the FCS.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32308 on: August 27, 2021, 12:18:40 PM »
How believable is it that the facilities were largely funded through donations? Like, how many donors do we actually have and what was their average donation?

Is the idea that 100,000 fans donated an average of $1,000 realistic?

It's extremely believable, because K-State Athletics Inc publishes a real annual audited financial statement, and K-State Athletics Inc. historically uses the Kansas Development Finance Authority to underwrite/facilitate it's long term debt offerings.   K-State Athletics Inc has not gone to them since the WSC Center/Ice Construction.   Bonds covered about 2/3's of that project initially, with subsequent revenues and donations placed in a mandatory bond reserve fund.    VFFC/stone wall/Shamrock/baseball stadium/soccer/track renovation were all paid for with private funds.   The final phase of the VFFC required a short term note to finance it's completion, I believe that note has now been paid off.    Newest indoor facility, v-ball arena, and Olympic training facility are all privately funded. 

do we or don’t we have a lot of debt that is services through our television contract revenue?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32310 on: August 27, 2021, 01:14:32 PM »
I've always liked that Brett.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #32311 on: August 27, 2021, 01:27:24 PM »
Welp. There go the Mormons joining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32312 on: August 27, 2021, 01:34:04 PM »
Welp. There go the Mormons joining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank god.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32313 on: August 27, 2021, 01:41:25 PM »
Break out the caffeinated soda pops  :cheers:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32314 on: August 27, 2021, 03:03:35 PM »
How believable is it that the facilities were largely funded through donations? Like, how many donors do we actually have and what was their average donation?

Is the idea that 100,000 fans donated an average of $1,000 realistic?

It's extremely believable, because K-State Athletics Inc publishes a real annual audited financial statement, and K-State Athletics Inc. historically uses the Kansas Development Finance Authority to underwrite/facilitate it's long term debt offerings.   K-State Athletics Inc has not gone to them since the WSC Center/Ice Construction.   Bonds covered about 2/3's of that project initially, with subsequent revenues and donations placed in a mandatory bond reserve fund.    VFFC/stone wall/Shamrock/baseball stadium/soccer/track renovation were all paid for with private funds.   The final phase of the VFFC required a short term note to finance it's completion, I believe that note has now been paid off.    Newest indoor facility, v-ball arena, and Olympic training facility are all privately funded. 

do we or don’t we have a lot of debt that is services through our television contract revenue?

The debt might be serviced out of any source of revenue.   But by Kansas Finance Development Authority Mandate, K-State Athletics Inc must maintain a debt reserve of something like one to two years worth of servicing.   

At this moment in time, K-State Athletics Inc debt load is extremely serviceable.   That of course may change.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32315 on: August 27, 2021, 03:48:49 PM »
ya I know it can be paid through whatever vehicle they choose from but my assumption is that they rely heavily on the tv revenue to do that.  one or two years of reserves won’t do much for a long term note.  obviously i’ve never reviewed their financials, but i know that you have them printed on your bed sheets so I figured i’d ask.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32316 on: August 27, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »
ya I know it can be paid through whatever vehicle they choose from but my assumption is that they rely heavily on the tv revenue to do that.  one or two years of reserves won’t do much for a long term note.  obviously i’ve never reviewed their financials, but i know that you have them printed on your bed sheets so I figured i’d ask.

Poster on my ceiling above the bed actually, and you are correct.  In a substantial loss of revenue environment only a year or two of reserves could mean some challenges down the line.   

If the worst case scenario happens, the fastest way to make that difference up will be via the Ahearn Fund.   The annual Ahearn Fund, which is is an operational fund gets about $19 million a year in donations, that would need to double.   

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32317 on: August 27, 2021, 09:48:57 PM »
I don't know what's in the air, but this is the second podcast that is predicting ISU over OU in the Big XII championship game. 

Oh how I wish this comes true. Here's to a big FURK OU!  :Woohoo:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32318 on: August 28, 2021, 12:09:23 AM »
I had an Ahearn Fund staff member meet me in Des Moines and took me out to lunch with the intent of me increasing my donation and how that would be beneficial to me and the department.

Personally, that would make me want to donate less.

I appreciated the individualized attention and I did give more after that but that was more the prospect of a volleyball arena than someone driving to Des Moines to take a few donors to lunch. This is also an example of how we spent that $15 million a year that no regular sports fan sees or will miss.

I’m pretty sure I get $75 worth of printed stuff & postage per year. I think the media guide had $8 worth of postage on it.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #32319 on: August 30, 2021, 01:36:29 AM »
Anyone pretending a watered down Big 12 is as cool or fun as being with West Coast elites in the Pak-18 can go suck an egg. This bites and everyone knows it.

It bites for sure, but I don't know how anyone thought they were really going to add us.

I do think a watered down version of the B12 with Cincinnati, CF, Memphis, and Houston would be fun though.  :dunno:

This part definitely sucks. I think Nipert could be cool. I like CSU as a roadie, but they aren’t getting in. The rest will suck. I have no desire to go to Houston’s stadium or UCF’s aluminum bleachers on steroids stadium. Hopefully we don’t lose Pullman & Tucson off future schedules.

Cinci would be...fine. I guess. CSU is a great roadie and if we're plumbing the depths of small timey schools I honestly hope we go after them. Look, at this point it's basically all about the roadies, and Fort Collins/CSU is a legit destination roadie. UCF is not. Houston is a gross town but their stadium is hilarious and it's kinda close to me so I'd go once but I wouldn't like it. If we're trying to add schools, add a few that are good G5 teams like Houston and Memphis, then just have fun with roadies for the other two. I got so bonered up about traveling west that I just say we add CSU and BYU for the mountains. Who gives an F anymore.

I want to add Boise State, Colorado State, New Mexico, and Cincinnati (I guess).

Bad rough ridin' idea, as much as I selfishly would be cool with seeing the quatz here in ABQ. UNM's been a complete administrative dumpster fire the past 5 years or so and the only thing they once had going for them (hoops) is a shell of what it once was. UNM Football is a smoking radioactive crater with a concrete mausoleum for a stadium, although Danny Gonzales might end up looking like a decent hire in a few years. But overall they're KU without any of the money or finesse for covering crap up. Do not want.

CSU seems to not have any idea wtf they're doing either (Steve Addazio lmbo) but they'd be infinitely more desirable than UNM.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 01:43:25 AM by 0.42 »

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32320 on: August 30, 2021, 09:37:30 AM »
https://www.al.com/uab/2021/08/with-uab-big-12-can-plant-flag-on-sec-doorstep.html
An opportunity exists for the Big 12 to plant its flags on the doorstep of the SEC...
...and it's not one to be taken lightly?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32321 on: August 30, 2021, 09:54:44 AM »
https://www.al.com/uab/2021/08/with-uab-big-12-can-plant-flag-on-sec-doorstep.html
An opportunity exists for the Big 12 to plant its flags on the doorstep of the SEC...
the south is so full of itself.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32322 on: August 30, 2021, 02:43:35 PM »

If we're going 16 teams UAB isn't a bad choice, I'd add them before I'd add Colorado State.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32323 on: August 30, 2021, 02:54:05 PM »
Is the FedEx guy still offering millions for someone to take in Memphis?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32324 on: August 30, 2021, 02:55:41 PM »
Why is CSU such a crappy add? They've never seemed to have been a candidate for any true P5 type expansion.

They're basically a KSU clone (not that we are the belle of the ball), in a pretty populated state that's growing at a pretty good clip.

Note: not claiming they are a good add.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.