Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4165940 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32250 on: August 26, 2021, 08:49:21 PM »
And guess what, if you have the right coach, in the right conference, it proves not to matter.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32251 on: August 26, 2021, 09:51:47 PM »
And guess what, if you have the right coach, in the right conference, it proves not to matter.

Please provide examples of coaches in G5 conferences that have top 50 recruiting classes, and their ranks.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #32252 on: August 26, 2021, 09:59:54 PM »
Anyone pretending a watered down Big 12 is as cool or fun as being with West Coast elites in the Pak-18 can go suck an egg. This bites and everyone knows it.

It bites for sure, but I don't know how anyone thought they were really going to add us.

I do think a watered down version of the B12 with Cincinnati, CF, Memphis, and Houston would be fun though.  :dunno:

This part definitely sucks. I think Nipert could be cool. I like CSU as a roadie, but they aren’t getting in. The rest will suck. I have no desire to go to Houston’s stadium or UCF’s aluminum bleachers on steroids stadium. Hopefully we don’t lose Pullman & Tucson off future schedules.

Cinci would be...fine. I guess. CSU is a great roadie and if we're plumbing the depths of small timey schools I honestly hope we go after them. Look, at this point it's basically all about the roadies, and Fort Collins/CSU is a legit destination roadie. UCF is not. Houston is a gross town but their stadium is hilarious and it's kinda close to me so I'd go once but I wouldn't like it. If we're trying to add schools, add a few that are good G5 teams like Houston and Memphis, then just have fun with roadies for the other two. I got so bonered up about traveling west that I just say we add CSU and BYU for the mountains. Who gives an F anymore.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32253 on: August 26, 2021, 10:01:47 PM »
We’ll have access to the playoff and remain a P5. Recruiting can’t get any worse. It’s the best case scenario here. We still have access to Texas too. None of the recruits we’ve pulled in had offers from Texas or OU either, so other than $, as a fan, what are you losing here? You still have a shot!

exciting teams to play.

OOOOOOOOOH, WE GET TO PLAY TCU AGAIN OOOOOOOOH FUNNNNN
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32254 on: August 26, 2021, 10:02:12 PM »

Please provide examples of coaches in G5 conferences that have top 50 recruiting classes, and their ranks.
UCF has sustained success and so has Boise St. Way out of our recruiting zones. TCU found a way to do it without dealing with the constant “Texas bullies” within the league. All without recruiting zones and recruiting rankings. Don’t let fat bellies, old asses tell you what is capable of this new realignment. It could be the easiest way to the playoff for K-State!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32255 on: August 26, 2021, 10:04:40 PM »
We’ll have access to the playoff and remain a P5. Recruiting can’t get any worse. It’s the best case scenario here. We still have access to Texas too. None of the recruits we’ve pulled in had offers from Texas or OU either, so other than $, as a fan, what are you losing here? You still have a shot!

exciting teams to play.

How often do you leave your state to follow the cats and how often do you actually contribute to making funds for the school you love? Meh. They’ll live!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32256 on: August 26, 2021, 10:29:52 PM »
I've been fine with tcu and wvu so I guess it will be OK with Memphis and Houston. Will suck when we lose to them though  :frown:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32257 on: August 26, 2021, 10:43:32 PM »
I've been fine with tcu and wvu so I guess it will be OK with Memphis and Houston. Will suck when we lose to them though  :frown:

We'd be stronger for it in basketball if we brought them on and they're two of the top football options too.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32258 on: August 26, 2021, 10:43:46 PM »
It’s hard for me to imagine expanding without adding UCF. Probably Houston too although I don’t know how much sense it makes economically.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32259 on: August 26, 2021, 10:59:49 PM »

exciting teams to play.

How often do you leave your state to follow the cats and how often do you actually contribute to making funds for the school you love? Meh. They’ll live!

Pre-Covid? Like…constantly.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32260 on: August 26, 2021, 11:01:07 PM »
Curve City, USA is like the grossest dumbest stadium though

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32261 on: August 27, 2021, 12:13:52 AM »
Why? You think it will hurt us with all those out of state students we pull in every year?
no, because of whatever paltry sum we would get from the new media deal. b12 media money has been propping up our athletic dept budget. athletic budget is part of university budget. naturally something will have to give, and consequences aren't limited to athletics.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying this in the least bit. I've said this a bunch in here but the athletic department and university ran just fine when we weren't bringing in huge tv money and that was only a decade ago. In fact when the football program and university were at their best, 20 years ago we weren't making a lot of tv dollars and the university funded the athletic department.

The athletic department and the university have been financially disparate for long enough now that there isn't any reason for us to tie the two now. The university is getting new leadership their focus needs to be on that and finding a way to recover our enrollments. The athletic department will tighten their budgets and they'll be fine. There are much bigger athletic departments than us and they manage better than fine.

The interesting thing about some of these schools and athletic departments we're going to be rumored to add have seen growth within their universities and athletic departments while getting pennies on the dollar from media deals than we do yet they are managing to grow. We've gotten this tv money and have done nothing tangible with it but paying people who work in offices on Kimball Ave. more money.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32262 on: August 27, 2021, 12:23:50 AM »
What if conference realignment results in no more corniness?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32263 on: August 27, 2021, 12:25:53 AM »
Anyone pretending a watered down Big 12 is as cool or fun as being with West Coast elites in the Pak-18 can go suck an egg. This bites and everyone knows it.

Not everyone is like you man. As much as I love California, I don't find anything at all appealing about joining an established conference with established rivalries and culture from two time zones away. It's not something we'd ever feel that it's something that's actually ours. This conference is ours, it always has been and always will be, is it flawed, sure it is. We would feel like Nebraska does in the Big 10 but much worse.

It's like this. I'd rather own my house, that might have a wonky garage door, down spouts that need replacing and a slightly off smell in the basement than living on the couch of someone who lives in a super nice $700,000 house with a pool in the back yard.

I don't work for K-State athletics, I give them money in fact so I don't care how much money we get from Fox or whatever and whatever faint clout comes with being in the fourth best conference instead of the fifth best conference means nothing to me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32264 on: August 27, 2021, 12:40:00 AM »
Aren’t we going to take a 20M / year haircut as an athletic dept?  I don’t see how the football program can maintain a positive trajectory if we are paying way less than the new P4 schools.  I think cincy pays fickell about what Klieman makes so maybe it’s possible. Does Rick Daris have 20M a year in Matic profits to give kstate?

It won't be $20 million and we'll be fine either way. Today The Athletic ranked all FBS teams and big bad K-State with all of our money were ranked behind 15 group of five schools, FIFTEEN! KU, even more money than we have, there are only 15 G5 schools ranked worse.

Let the business people figure out how they'll run their business with their TV money being cut in half four years from now. We, as fans, should just try to have as much fun with our football program as Boise has the last 20 years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32265 on: August 27, 2021, 12:49:20 AM »
I’d rather play in revamped big 12 than go to Pac with OSU fwiw.
Terrible take. Way less money, even worse recruiting, less exciting opponents. Even though that big 12 would likely be as competitive as the PAC on the field...maybe even better, the perception would never be the same. There simply is no NC contenders in that big 12. That is really the difference between a power conference and the other ones nobody really cares about.

Conference the has eff all to do with being a national title contender. Currently the Pac 12 has maybe half of a title contender and the ACC has one.. The standard with the new playoff format, whenever it comes, is to be a contender for that. It's much easier to get into a playoff by being a great team in a mid tier conference than being a good team in a great conference.

Cincinnati has a much better chance to make the playoff than anyone in the Big 12 not named OU. Iowa State has to beat them twice to get there, Cincinnati doesn't have to beat Notre Dame twice.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32266 on: August 27, 2021, 12:53:55 AM »
What if conference realignment results in no more corniness?

I wasn't aware the SWAC and MEAC were a part of the conversation this time around.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32267 on: August 27, 2021, 06:35:06 AM »
To me, it's pretty obvious that once you hit a certain threshold, there's almost no correlation between how much money a team has and how good they are on the field.

My question is what our AD has been doing with all that money they've been getting. I'd assume that it went toward the various athletic facilities projects. But they emphasize how those are largely donor funded. Is this overstated? I literally can't imagine how they could burn through a bunch of that money simply by being wasteful.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #32268 on: August 27, 2021, 06:43:30 AM »
Terrible take. Way less money, even worse recruiting, less exciting opponents. Even though that big 12 would likely be as competitive as the PAC on the field...maybe even better, the perception would never be the same. There simply is no NC contenders in that big 12. That is really the difference between a power conference and the other ones nobody really cares about.

Conference the has eff all to do with being a national title contender. Currently the Pac 12 has maybe half of a title contender and the ACC has one.. The standard with the new playoff format, whenever it comes, is to be a contender for that. It's much easier to get into a playoff by being a great team in a mid tier conference than being a good team in a great conference.

Cincinnati has a much better chance to make the playoff than anyone in the Big 12 not named OU. Iowa State has to beat them twice to get there, Cincinnati doesn't have to beat Notre Dame twice.
If you could stop being a dumbass for just a second, you'd notice I didn't say a conference creates NC contenders. I said NC contenders make a power conference. Even Florida State is a contender caliber team even if not this year or for many years past. USC is the same.

I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32269 on: August 27, 2021, 07:08:34 AM »
To me, it's pretty obvious that once you hit a certain threshold, there's almost no correlation between how much money a team has and how good they are on the field.

My question is what our AD has been doing with all that money they've been getting. I'd assume that it went toward the various athletic facilities projects. But they emphasize how those are largely donor funded. Is this overstated? I literally can't imagine how they could burn through a bunch of that money simply by being wasteful.

This is why we REALLY need the NCAA2.0 to drop the number of minimum required sports, so we can focus all our resources on just Men's Basketball, Football, and whatever women's sports that result in the exact same number of men's scholarships. 

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32270 on: August 27, 2021, 08:19:55 AM »

This is a really good point and I hope that when we get back to 12 teams that we go back to two divisions so we stop this stupid repeat CCG.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32271 on: August 27, 2021, 08:42:57 AM »
As much as many on this board disliked the reign of John Currie, he did make prudent investments in facilities and upgrades, which I think answers at least part of the question of where all that big TV $$$ went.  Forecasts are that we'll take a $15 - 20 million haircut with a revised Big 12 conference TV deal, but since we don't have a great need for big capital outlays (stadium reno, new practice facilities, etc.), we may be able to largely retain our expense structure that we have now (not have to do drastic spending cuts).  Our big hit will be in recruiting - the Big 12 is likely to become a glorified G5 conference. 

Dax would likely be able to speak more authoritatively on this, but I think the money part will take care of itself.  I think some of the other orphans have managed their TV windfalls pretty well, some have not.   

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32272 on: August 27, 2021, 08:46:10 AM »
Has anyone figured out if we can rid ourselves of Baylor in all this mess?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32273 on: August 27, 2021, 08:53:09 AM »
Has anyone figured out if we can rid ourselves of Baylor in all this mess?
That would lead to a big lawsuit for the Big XII unfortunately.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32274 on: August 27, 2021, 08:53:51 AM »

Stones, pounding them, and promoting that.