Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4060809 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31850 on: August 03, 2021, 08:47:42 PM »
KU clearly doesn't bring anywhere close to enough money to the Big10 as it is now. If they do take KU, it's all I need to know that the ncaa will be burned to the ground with a new bball tournament formed. KU might be worth it at that point.

The existence of the NCAA has no effect on conference media contracts, for FBS anyway. If there was a rogue NCAA tournament the revenues will almost certainly be evenly split among the conferences.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31851 on: August 03, 2021, 08:51:08 PM »
Yea don't see any way we're not swimming in crap forever after this. Wonder if a TV partner would give a bigger contract to us if every school schedules at least one marquee game out of conference every year. Probably needs to be 2, with 4 total ooc games. But whatever, the TV people could compile a list of schools that qualify. Basically keeps the remaining 8 schools playing each other and a big name or 2 just like we did with OU/TX.

Swimming in crap is a bit dramatic. We've been making real money for like 5-7 years. College sports fans acting like their schools need $40 million a year to function is very much part of the problem. Stop letting these dudes think they have to spend ESPN's money on athletic department salaries and bloat to properly function, it's a lie.
It's relative though. We never have had the same money as the to schools, but playing in a major conference at least kept us sort of in the same realm. Aren't they projecting the sec to make 70M per school in the foreseeable future? I mean, we'll likely be around 1/5 of that. Officially a "have not".

Even if we somehow end up in the PAC, we'll still be poor comparatively. I don't see a "good" scenario of any type playing out for us. Just "shitty" and "ok".
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31852 on: August 03, 2021, 08:52:01 PM »
Yea don't see any way we're not swimming in crap forever after this. Wonder if a TV partner would give a bigger contract to us if every school schedules at least one marquee game out of conference every year. Probably needs to be 2, with 4 total ooc games. But whatever, the TV people could compile a list of schools that qualify. Basically keeps the remaining 8 schools playing each other and a big name or 2 just like we did with OU/TX.

Swimming in crap is a bit dramatic. We've been making real money for like 5-7 years. College sports fans acting like their schools need $40 million a year to function is very much part of the problem. Stop letting these dudes think they have to spend ESPN's money on athletic department salaries and bloat to properly function, it's a lie.

1. Who is "these dudes" that you reference?

2. If we're not headed to the PAC then we very much are in trouble. This conference will die sometime in the next 3 years and we don't seem to have a life raft right now. Look what happened to SMU, Rice, Houston, and TCU after the Southwest conference fell apart. None of those programs came close to sniffing a championship again except TCU, and despite them deserving to be in, because of their G5 status, it didn't happen. Baylor is all but guaranteed to head back there, as is likely TCU now.

You're probably right in that we don't need the millions and millions of dollars that some of these other programs command in order to function, but I also don't need to drink alcohol at a party to have a good time. It just really really helps.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31853 on: August 03, 2021, 08:54:10 PM »
KU clearly doesn't bring anywhere close to enough money to the Big10 as it is now. If they do take KU, it's all I need to know that the ncaa will be burned to the ground with a new bball tournament formed. KU might be worth it at that point.

The existence of the NCAA has no effect on conference media contracts, for FBS anyway. If there was a rogue NCAA tournament the revenues will almost certainly be evenly split among the conferences.
I was thinking the NCAA collected a large chunk of the NCAA tournament with the other distributions favoring the schools and conferences that had more games. I could be wrong though. If I'm not wrong then cutting the ncaa out would make KU more valuable than they are currently.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31854 on: August 03, 2021, 10:12:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1422756384097984515?s=19

For our feathered friends down the road. Math warning so probably will have to walk them through it.... several times.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31855 on: August 03, 2021, 10:16:49 PM »

For our feathered friends down the road. Math warning so probably will have to walk them through it.... several times.

I'm too dumb to understand this math. Shoot, that's why I went to law school. Gonna need mocat to break this down for me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31856 on: August 03, 2021, 11:03:21 PM »

I was thinking the NCAA collected a large chunk of the NCAA tournament with the other distributions favoring the schools and conferences that had more games. I could be wrong though. If I'm not wrong then cutting the ncaa out would make KU more valuable than they are currently.

No, you're 100% right about how that's distributed now, but I'm saying if the big conferences break away from the NCAA they absolutely will split whatever revenue they get from televising a post season tournament.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31857 on: August 03, 2021, 11:11:01 PM »

It's relative though. We never have had the same money as the to schools, but playing in a major conference at least kept us sort of in the same realm. Aren't they projecting the sec to make 70M per school in the foreseeable future? I mean, we'll likely be around 1/5 of that. Officially a "have not".

Even if we somehow end up in the PAC, we'll still be poor comparatively. I don't see a "good" scenario of any type playing out for us. Just "shitty" and "ok".

Right, you're worried about money and the effect on competitive balance and I think the influx of money for the P5 schools have had little effect on what's actually going on between the lines and I don't think that will change. There isn't a single program who can attribute their success to spending more than anyone else because so little of this tv revenue is actually going to the on field product. Take TCU. They were most successful when they were conference nomads, they were just kicking dicks in and attracting a lot of talent. They didn't need television money or a conference brand. Then they move to the Big 12, get a shiny new stadium remodel and they've largely been mediocre. Same people running the show, they got more money but it didn't do anything for them. TCU became a big fish in a huge pond and on the field it's been crap for them, the department are cashing huge checks though. Their best year in the Big 12 came when they weren't even receiving a full share yet.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31858 on: August 03, 2021, 11:31:24 PM »

1. Who is "these dudes" that you reference?

2. If we're not headed to the PAC then we very much are in trouble. This conference will die sometime in the next 3 years and we don't seem to have a life raft right now. Look what happened to SMU, Rice, Houston, and TCU after the Southwest conference fell apart. None of those programs came close to sniffing a championship again except TCU, and despite them deserving to be in, because of their G5 status, it didn't happen. Baylor is all but guaranteed to head back there, as is likely TCU now.

You're probably right in that we don't need the millions and millions of dollars that some of these other programs command in order to function, but I also don't need to drink alcohol at a party to have a good time. It just really really helps.

1. Athletic administrators.

2. Why will the conference die? Like what are the machinations that would allow this to happen? If the Big 12 breaks up, it's because literally everyone else found another place. What's happening now isn't at all analogous to what happened to the SWC. College football as a business was very different then and business was even suffering for Texas and A&M back then. The Pig AD at the time said they left because of awful attendance and constant NCAA probation issues. The Big 12, as a business, is doing quite well, as a collective and as individual institutions. That wasn't the case with the SWC. Last week I read a Texas Monthly article from 1974 about the inevitable demise of the once mighty SWC.

As far as sniffing a national championship, who cares, with the exception of one off years hardly any of cfb are close to sniffing a national championship. The new playoff will fix this,, and besides there are several G5 programs way closer than most P5 programs. It really doesn't matter right now and will matter less when the playoff changes are eventually made.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31859 on: August 04, 2021, 07:04:05 AM »

I get the bloat, overspending, etc. from the last few years of our TV payouts, but the inflation associated with coaching salaries won't go away.  So, your point is well taken, but we're stuck with some costs that weren't as high 10 years ago.  When we want to replace Oscar, this will probably be a factor.

Kudos to Dax for articulating KSU's relatively sound financial management in our AD, let's hope this conservative financial approach cushions the blow from our new, lower financial status. 

A mismanaged athletic dept, like at KU, compels them to replace revenue because they have squandered their riches.  KU is lucky to have attracted interest from another P5 conference, I think they really need it.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31860 on: August 04, 2021, 07:36:04 AM »

Okay, then why have the message boards exploded in the last 24 hours with news that KU is big 10 bound? It's no secret that's what they have been wishing for, but why does everyone suddenly believe it's true? I suppose I'm asking this a little more rhetorically.  I'm not asking you to account for all the musings of multiple sports boards, but there's suddenly a lot of smoke.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31861 on: August 04, 2021, 07:40:11 AM »
People tend to believe what they want to believe. Sometimes it’s true, sometimes it isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31862 on: August 04, 2021, 07:42:51 AM »
I remember at one point people were thinking Florida State was going to join the conference.  Pretty funny stuff.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #31863 on: August 04, 2021, 08:09:42 AM »
People tend to believe what they want to believe. Sometimes it’s true, sometimes it isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure, could happen, but i'm having a hard time believing OSU and Michigan are cool with less money per year to play anyone, let alone KU. Who knows though.  :dunno:

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31864 on: August 04, 2021, 08:52:21 AM »

Okay, then why have the message boards exploded in the last 24 hours with news that KU is big 10 bound? It's no secret that's what they have been wishing for, but why does everyone suddenly believe it's true? I suppose I'm asking this a little more rhetorically.  I'm not asking you to account for all the musings of multiple sports boards, but there's suddenly a lot of smoke.

I think it is all coming from one guy on 610.  Mandel also amplified it but in a more sarcastic way than I think most people are understanding.

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1422677915783688192?s=20
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:56:12 AM by Houstoncat93 »

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31866 on: August 04, 2021, 09:51:35 AM »
DY made fun of the guy on 610, too

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31867 on: August 04, 2021, 09:54:06 AM »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31868 on: August 04, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »
that's mr. scoopmeister to you

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31869 on: August 04, 2021, 10:00:55 AM »
What a long play by Vernon to set up a KSU fan for the butthole quote-tweet slam.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31870 on: August 04, 2021, 10:01:02 AM »
just amaze all around

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31871 on: August 04, 2021, 10:48:46 AM »
enjoyed that

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31872 on: August 04, 2021, 12:12:38 PM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31873 on: August 04, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »

was this guy around for Cigars 1.0?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31874 on: August 04, 2021, 12:21:26 PM »
Art Everywhere
https://twitter.com/33KSU/status/1422915275909967875

Could easily be changed to "Fart Every Where".
Sometimes I can be a child, but I'd definitely chuckle if I was rolling down interstate and saw that.