Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4147660 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31800 on: August 03, 2021, 11:40:38 AM »
Do we think OU and Texas will be in the Big 12 through June 2025?

nope, but they're going to pay

They are going to pay something, no way it’s the full amount.

You keep saying this and I understand why but you've yet to address why the Big 12 would just give their money away. There's no reason for them to settle, just not wanting to put up with them isn't reason enough to just give money away especially if you're never going to make that much money again. I do agree with you that OU, UT, ESPN and the SEC want this over like yesterday, but I'm going to assume the aggrieved party will not reward bad behavior and will insist they are made whole.

How does this play out? Two teams leave and say we aren’t paying a dime. Big 12 says we are going to withhold your payment?  It’s like one big Mexican standoff with espn the big 12 and the two parting teams.  ESPN could withhold distribution to the big 12 in the same fashion that the big 12 could withhold OU and UT distributions right? It’s going to go to court, it’s going to be ugly, and I think like most legal matters will get settled and be for less than whatever the contract stipulates.  I think espn is likely on the hook to make the remaining 8 whole as if the two departing programs were still around though, if bowlsby’s claims are able to be proved legally.

A couple of points:

1.  This is realignment 2.0 not 1.0.  The new and improved version has contracts and bylaws that have been pre-scrubbed by teams of lawyers to make it much harder to jump early.  Not saying it is not possible, just that the risk to the jumping school and new conference is much greater than in version 1.0
2.  The new SEC contract doesn't start until 2023.  There is no revenue reason to jump early.  CBS is not going to bump up the last couple years of a contract they lost the renewal on and ESPN can't pay more until their contact starts.
3.  Other then getting rid of the awkwardness at the conference xmas party what is the incentive for the Big 12 to let them go early.  Remember, with the new and improved contracts the conference is negotiating  from a relative position of strength this time (at leas in the short term legal perspective).  It is also in survival mode which means until it has a clear path to safety it will dig its heals in for every dime.

The new SEC contract starts in 2024 and that distinction is important as to what I think is going to happen. I think the schools bounce in 2024. They will then make a deal to pay their 1 year penalty over like 3-5 years. Bowlsby is turning down the heat because ideally ESPN will help the Big 12 and the SEC make this arrangement sooner rather than later so the Big 12 can move on trying to see what's next for 2024. This has to get resolved before 2024 but the schools have to pay what they owe, this is the best way.

This is fantastic analysis, I can’t argue against any of it. 

When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31801 on: August 03, 2021, 11:42:18 AM »
merger, yes
scheduling alliance, god no. woof city.

Yea like what benefit do we get from a scheduling alliance? 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31802 on: August 03, 2021, 12:03:11 PM »
merger, yes

Maybe a little more money. We are now poor so even a few extra $$ will help.

Offline Hullabaloo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31803 on: August 03, 2021, 12:05:05 PM »
The PAC has seemed like our best bet for a lifeline.  They're separated geographically from the rest of the conferences and don't have alot of options unless they want to to be playing coast-to-coast across 4 times zones.  Maybe the CA schools can be OK with going to KS once in awhile if it prevents them from having to play in the Eastern time zone several times a year.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31804 on: August 03, 2021, 12:06:47 PM »
merger, yes

Better marquees. Tbh, I think the B12 gets the better end of this deal. None of the B12 names really bring much of a draw outside of our region. Many of the PAC names do, but their fans don’t tune in like ours do for the most part.

Prob some advantages regarding tv time slots for the PAC, but I dunno.

Just spitballing.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #31805 on: August 03, 2021, 12:33:45 PM »
The PAC has seemed like our best bet for a lifeline.  They're separated geographically from the rest of the conferences and don't have alot of options unless they want to to be playing coast-to-coast across 4 times zones.  Maybe the CA schools can be OK with going to KS once in awhile if it prevents them from having to play in the Eastern time zone several times a year.

True, but they should merge with the Big 10 and call it a day. That makes way more sense to me. Early Big 10 games then later PAC games. They have the tv all day and they already play a lot of crossover games anyway. I'd be surprised if they don't do that as opposed to throwing Big 12 teams a lifeline.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31806 on: August 03, 2021, 01:50:20 PM »
Yea don't see any way we're not swimming in crap forever after this. Wonder if a TV partner would give a bigger contract to us if every school schedules at least one marquee game out of conference every year. Probably needs to be 2, with 4 total ooc games. But whatever, the TV people could compile a list of schools that qualify. Basically keeps the remaining 8 schools playing each other and a big name or 2 just like we did with OU/TX.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31807 on: August 03, 2021, 01:59:12 PM »
The Big 12 orphans supply the Pac 12 with fans who give a eff. It’s a smart merger.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31808 on: August 03, 2021, 02:04:16 PM »
Very smart merger.  Brings west coast games to early afternoon and keeps it away from early morning games. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31809 on: August 03, 2021, 02:05:04 PM »
I really think the only way a merger with the PAC happens is if one or two other unlikely shoes drop first (i.e B10 steals top level PAC or something). If the only move is OU/UT to SEC then no need for PAC to do anything.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31810 on: August 03, 2021, 02:11:47 PM »
phog is now saying with absolute certainty that they are going to the big 10. It's a party over there, but I haven't seen anything posted outside of there yet.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31811 on: August 03, 2021, 02:13:02 PM »
I think the PAC would be eager to make a deal with the Big 12 if it got them significantly more money. But I don't see how a deal would be able to do that.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31812 on: August 03, 2021, 02:22:14 PM »
phog is now saying with absolute certainty that they are going to the big 10. It's a party over there, but I haven't seen anything posted outside of there yet.
And we thought the new airport terminal wasn't that big of a deal...

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31813 on: August 03, 2021, 02:24:30 PM »
And we thought the new airport terminal wasn't that big of a deal...

I may have played a small role in this..

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31814 on: August 03, 2021, 02:29:42 PM »
I really think the only way a merger with the PAC happens is if one or two other unlikely shoes drop first (i.e B10 steals top level PAC or something). If the only move is OU/UT to SEC then no need for PAC to do anything.

I don't agree with this because up until now the Big 12 was in better shape than the PAC 12.  PAC 12 also knew they weren't going to pick off any teams from the Big 12.  Now each conference is in a situation where a merge would be a win/win.  I think people aren't considering the value add (and overall increased interest) in the PAC 12 conference in both basketball and football if a merge happened.  They are only using the data that exists which isolates west coast and midwest viewing the current, dull (championship poor) conferences. 

The 4 states the Big 8 teams would come from (minus WVU) adds 40 million people.  Hell if I was PAC 12 I would dump WVU and add Houston.  That would give PAC 12 every major market in Texas and really mind eff UT and A&M.  Success drives $$.  If all of a sudden PAC 12 takes over as the championship conference for the next 20 years all this crap doesn't matter.   

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31815 on: August 03, 2021, 02:57:07 PM »

I don't agree with this because up until now the Big 12 was in better shape than the PAC 12.  PAC 12 also knew they weren't going to pick off any teams from the Big 12.  Now each conference is in a situation where a merge would be a win/win.  I think people aren't considering the value add (and overall increased interest) in the PAC 12 conference in both basketball and football if a merge happened.  They are only using the data that exists which isolates west coast and midwest viewing the current, dull (championship poor) conferences. 

The 4 states the Big 8 teams would come from (minus WVU) adds 40 million people.  Hell if I was PAC 12 I would dump WVU and add Houston.  That would give PAC 12 every major market in Texas and really mind eff UT and A&M.  Success drives $$.  If all of a sudden PAC 12 takes over as the championship conference for the next 20 years all this crap doesn't matter.   

We know the value of the remaining 8 is somewhere around $14 million per school (see testimony at Texas Senate yesterday).  The PAC distribution were slightly behind ours so some back of the napkin math means the value add you mention would need to be worth $12 - $16ish million to be worth it.  I agree with you statement it would add value but I would be very surprise if it added anywhere near that much.  If it did then some sort of merger\alliance would have happened years ago to keep up with the SEC\B10

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31816 on: August 03, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »
Friend of the blog Bob Strawn, is a fan of the move to the PAC 16.

https://twitter.com/strawny/status/1422603364328787972?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31817 on: August 03, 2021, 03:00:11 PM »
Jon Wefald will say this was his idea

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31818 on: August 03, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »
As of right now, the Big 12 has a crisis of prestige.   That's it.    This can be overcome, to what extent, we'll just have to wait and see.   It could be terminal, but it's been caught early and is highly treatable.

The Pac - 12 has internal bleeding.   Two P12 athletic departments are bankrupt and only stay afloat because the academic side of their school is covering the debts the athletic department(s) cannot cover.  At one school, those debts are going to grow to $40 million a year. 

They have the worst TV deal, they have terrible TV numbers and their core founding schools are in malaise.   Multiple programs have NCAA sanctions pending.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31820 on: August 03, 2021, 03:10:40 PM »
As of right now, the Big 12 has a crisis of prestige.   That's it.    This can be overcome, to what extent, we'll just have to wait and see.   It could be terminal, but it's been caught early and is highly treatable.

The Pac - 12 has internal bleeding.   Two P12 athletic departments are bankrupt and only stay afloat because the academic side of their school is covering the debts the athletic department(s) cannot cover.  At one school, those debts are going to grow to $40 million a year. 

They have the worst TV deal, they have terrible TV numbers and their core founding schools are in malaise.   Multiple programs have NCAA sanctions pending.
I think I agree with this, but staying put is a real prisoners’ dilemma with all remaining schools expecting the others are trying to cut their own deals.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31821 on: August 03, 2021, 03:55:13 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/TXSportsLife/status/1422368368682754048?s=01 probably been posted but hilarious burn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31822 on: August 03, 2021, 04:33:18 PM »
This will be us when there is a Pac/Big merger but they are only taking four teams.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31823 on: August 03, 2021, 04:52:45 PM »
was Mike Vernon around for cigars 1.0?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31824 on: August 03, 2021, 05:12:30 PM »

I think I agree with this, but staying put is a real prisoners’ dilemma with all remaining schools expecting the others are trying to cut their own deals.

Add 4 and cash those checks.