Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980404 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31700 on: July 30, 2021, 03:13:50 PM »
Think how awesome the home/away round robin power 5 conference schedule will be  :pray:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31701 on: July 30, 2021, 03:33:12 PM »
Worth a read. From twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/bch1986/status/1420545161197727752?s=25

Interesting observations - in the 90’s the #SEC won 3 outright championships, #Big12 won 4 outright or shared, ACC won 4 outright or shared, #Pac10 won 1, #Big10 won 1 shared. First half of 2000 (2000-05) Big12 won 2 BCS, ACC won 1, Big10 won 1, PAC10 won 1, SEC won 1. Since then the #SEC has won 11 times which statistically makes no sense. So what happened… well in the 04-05 championship an undefeated SEC champ was left out of the BCS championship game (which would never happen again) in favor of OU v USC. Enter the worldwide leader in sports #ESPN

ESPN signed a 15 year deal in 2008, the longest deal signed by them, with the SEC - not long after the CBS deal. From that point on the influence from the network pushed the conference’s prominence and heavily influenced perception of the league’s “strength.” The talking points from ESPN leadership was passed down and overnight the offense in the SEC wasn’t bad, it was just the defense was so good-they had that “SEC speed” but for some reason the offense didn’t have that same speed. Of course there were years the best team was probably in the #SEC but there are most likely years where that wasn’t the case. And there were times when SEC teams got blown up in their bowl games and the line was they were disappointed they didn’t get in a bigger game… see Mizzou vs Arkansas (coaching change too) and TCU vs Ole Miss for the most obvious that come to mind. It was never the other team was better.

Then the first playoff-a 1 loss Ohio State team who had a third stringer starting handedly beat Alabama and ending up winning the first playoff. Later that year the SEC Network was created and again, it’s in ESPN’s interest to not only promote the CFP which it also won the the rights to but also the league which their marketing dept and hosts had been playing up for the last 6 years. It’s in the best interest of ESPN that the SEC network be successful and they pushed a narrative and it worked… kudos and brilliant on their part. Clemson, the only other non-SEC team to win since Ohio State, has repeatedly been called SEC like instead of having its own identity. But in fairness, culturally and geographically it makes sense. But my point in bringing that up is SEC is always supposed to be at the forefront which is why they say things like that when it comes to Clemson.

In this new era of NIL and the other things that may come down the pipe (Senator Dodd’s proposed legislation about profit sharing to players) you need to have a brand and the SEC has a GREAT brand especially in college football. How do you make it a great brand better… bring in two big brands in OU and TX. ESPN can stop losing money on Longhorn Network and really sell it’s content to advertisers (CBS is gone). OU and TX make more money and benefit from the brand of the SEC… Big12 branding is peanuts compared to SEC… and the SEC has benefited from its preferential treatment from ESPN in the way of recruiting and the OOC games it played they won a fair share.

Wrapping it up, if it’s true that ESPN reached out to a conference (probably ACC or AAC since it had those rights) it was to get two or more teams to get invited to their conference which would dissolve the Big12 eliminate the payout owed by any Big12 school leaving and allow the network to make millions more dollars.

Offline thunderbowlt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31702 on: July 30, 2021, 04:17:13 PM »
everything that they signed up for related to GoR/exit fees will be litigated and there’s absolutely no way the b12 will be made whole when it’s all said and done

Litigating can go the other way too.  Not only are the exit fees owed if they leave early, but OU and Texas broke the bylaws getting to that point.  What do those two schools have to stand on to lessen what they owe?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31703 on: July 30, 2021, 04:23:01 PM »
everything that they signed up for related to GoR/exit fees will be litigated and there’s absolutely no way the b12 will be made whole when it’s all said and done

Litigating can go the other way too.  Not only are the exit fees owed if they leave early, but OU and Texas broke the bylaws getting to that point.  What do those two schools have to stand on to lessen what they owe?
Threat of long drawn out expensive litigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31704 on: July 30, 2021, 04:30:03 PM »
We can only hope that the litigation is as long and drawn out as is humanly possible. Take it all the way to the supreme court.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31705 on: July 30, 2021, 04:33:50 PM »
Maybe if we add all of the service academies, Notre Dame would come. They used to play that schedule every year, anyway.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 04:39:23 PM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31708 on: July 30, 2021, 04:54:00 PM »
Just received an e-mail from UT Prez Hartzell that UT will be joining the SEC in 2025, FYI.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31709 on: July 30, 2021, 04:55:48 PM »
Just received an e-mail from UT Prez Hartzell that UT will be joining the SEC in 2025, FYI.

respond telling him you're cancelling your donation to whatever they call their fund you don't donate to

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31710 on: July 30, 2021, 05:02:16 PM »
lmao

https://twitter.com/KUAthletics/status/1421198722348851202

Holy crap!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know most of the nut job fans think they hold an appeal to the big 10, but I didn't think anyone in the administration would come off as that damn desperate.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31711 on: July 30, 2021, 05:05:42 PM »
I wrote a letter to OU's president telling him that as an alumni, I'm absolutely sick that MY school is destroying the conference it created, that I'm sick and tired of all of the bullshit suits taking MY school out of the playoffs every year to wither on the vine and die all dried up in the SEC with no home to come back to. And all for money. Good gravy. I said "good gravy" 4 different times in the letter.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31712 on: July 30, 2021, 05:08:37 PM »
I wrote a letter to OU's president telling him that as an alumni, I'm absolutely sick that MY school is destroying the conference it created, that I'm sick and tired of all of the bullshit suits taking MY school out of the playoffs every year to wither on the vine and die all dried up in the SEC with no home to come back to. And all for money. Good gravy. I said "good gravy" 4 different times in the letter.

I assume you mentioned your membership in the alumni association

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31713 on: July 30, 2021, 05:40:35 PM »
The "The Lawrence/KC Area" tweet is going to be a top 15 thing to have happened during Cigars II.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31714 on: July 30, 2021, 06:15:45 PM »

Threat of long drawn out expensive litigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
they can afford to spend every bit of what they have to lose, we can’t

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31715 on: July 30, 2021, 06:31:19 PM »
So who thinks OU and UT play conference games in the SEC in 2022?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31716 on: July 30, 2021, 07:03:28 PM »
The "The Lawrence/KC Area" tweet is going to be a top 15 thing to have happened during Cigars II.
We have no choice but to respond with a “Manhattan Metroplex” tweet including Lawrence/Topeka/KC/Wichita.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31717 on: July 30, 2021, 07:26:03 PM »

I don't see that happening unless some miracle happens and all the leftovers land in a power conference.

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31718 on: July 30, 2021, 07:27:20 PM »
We have no choice but to respond with a “Manhattan Metroplex” tweet including Lawrence/Topeka/KC/Wichita.

Don't forget the Ogden, Junction City, Alma, Wamego and Olsburg Power 5

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31719 on: July 30, 2021, 07:31:43 PM »

I don't see that happening unless some miracle happens and all the leftovers land in a power conference.

So they play out the remainder of the GOR in the Big 12 for 4 more years?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31720 on: July 30, 2021, 08:24:29 PM »

Or they pay us alot of money

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31721 on: July 30, 2021, 09:37:36 PM »

Or they pay us alot of money

I don’t know what this is so hard to understand
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #31722 on: July 30, 2021, 10:27:20 PM »

That's The Konza Triangle to you, bub.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31723 on: July 30, 2021, 10:31:59 PM »
Guys listen to what Fox exec.Tim Brando has to say about the remaining Big XII.
https://youtu.be/oTKwb1rPML0
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31724 on: July 30, 2021, 10:37:25 PM »

Just spray paint a purple dong on their tweet and send that out.