Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4067744 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30975 on: July 23, 2021, 05:28:13 PM »
A conference would be really attractive to football teams if it could schedule dates and times before the season.

I don’t think any game time is that bad, as long as you can know it and plan for it. Different times probably appeal to different people, and all people could decide on what games they want to go to factoring in the game times.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30976 on: July 23, 2021, 05:32:43 PM »
Honestly KU is probably the only school with any alphaness because of basketball

Their entire administration is brand new. There is literally no chance Mike Holder and Kirby Hocutt are taking direction from someone who's literally not been on the job long enough for his health insurance and kpers to kick in.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30977 on: July 23, 2021, 05:43:00 PM »
A conference would be really attractive to football teams if it could schedule dates and times before the season.

I don’t think any game time is that bad, as long as you can know it and plan for it. Different times probably appeal to different people, and all people could decide on what games they want to go to factoring in the game times.
It would be attractive to fans for sure.
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30978 on: July 23, 2021, 05:53:06 PM »
This is our best hope

KU/ISU go to the Big, WVU to ACC. Baylor joins the AAC.

West Virginia isn't going to the ACC, they literally can't unless the ACC loses a team to the SEC and TCU isn't going to the PAC 12. In the current political climate, Tech will have problems too.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #30979 on: July 23, 2021, 05:53:54 PM »
OU has had a total of 4 11 am home kicks in the last two years.  it's the dumbest crap ever.

I don't think that has anything to do with it.  I think it's more about what happens after the SEC and big 10 decide to leave the NCAA and form their own deal. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30980 on: July 23, 2021, 05:58:54 PM »
Doesn't Iowa say no about adding ISU?

The fans yes, the administration doesn't give a crap if the contracts are redone and they don't lose any money. However ESPN and FOX aren't giving $80 million a year for ISU and KU when it only adds Wichita and Topeka for TV markets.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30981 on: July 23, 2021, 05:59:43 PM »
We probably are taking the approach that we will find our new president first, and then have him call the Pac 12 offices to see if they want us.

I sure rough ridin' hope not

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #30982 on: July 23, 2021, 06:09:09 PM »
I wonder what spiteful things we can do as fans during games against Texas and OU this year.  We need to be the opposite of stoic about this.

Throw Monopoly money on the field, enough to stop play.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30983 on: July 23, 2021, 06:14:06 PM »
I wonder what spiteful things we can do as fans during games against Texas and OU this year.  We need to be the opposite of stoic about this.

I hope Dr. Tracz is in the lab cooking up some extra vulgar formations.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30984 on: July 23, 2021, 06:14:39 PM »

I really enjoyed the kick in the ass A&M got on the way out the door. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30985 on: July 23, 2021, 06:16:30 PM »
OU has had a total of 4 11 am home kicks in the last two years.  it's the dumbest crap ever.

I don't think that has anything to do with it.  I think it's more about what happens after the SEC and big 10 decide to leave the NCAA and form their own deal.
Of course not, that is all a pretext for fans to justify.  Admin only gives a crap about the dolla dolla bills.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30986 on: July 23, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »

Conferences have nothing to do with it and as long as they're taking hundreds of millions of dollars from the networks they'll continue to deal with flex schedules because that ensures that the networks can maximize ad revenue. This is what pisses me off about OU crying about kickoff times, they know exactly why those time slots are the way they are. They also knew that FOX didn't even have a 6:00 slot that week. They are insincere, dipshit rednecks.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #30987 on: July 23, 2021, 06:18:58 PM »
Can fans get called for unsportsmanlike penalties?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30988 on: July 23, 2021, 06:24:37 PM »
every "have not" should have a bad case of covid when OU/UT come up on the schedule.  shoot guys sorry we're sick.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30990 on: July 23, 2021, 06:37:49 PM »

Conferences have nothing to do with it and as long as they're taking hundreds of millions of dollars from the networks they'll continue to deal with flex schedules because that ensures that the networks can maximize ad revenue. This is what pisses me off about OU crying about kickoff times, they know exactly why those time slots are the way they are. They also knew that FOX didn't even have a 6:00 slot that week. They are insincere, dipshit rednecks.

I know how it is, but a conference with enough leverage like this new SEC could tell the TV partner applicants how it'll be, to the benefit of its conference members.

I'm just thinking out loud as to how any conference could do better for members on the time issue,, but also as to how making times as standard as most are in NFL would be doable if we were in a giant conference stretching across 3 time zones, where those rime zones could largely dictate the slots.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30992 on: July 23, 2021, 07:02:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/JackMacCFB/status/1418678701135384579

I don't believe that this will happen, but I don't have a hard time believing that SEC would like this to happen.  I believe that they want to form an elite new football level entirely separate from the NCAA.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30993 on: July 23, 2021, 07:04:56 PM »
LOL at #scoopcity.

Offline BoondockSooner

• Land Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30994 on: July 23, 2021, 07:12:36 PM »
@MakeItRain I agree 100% there is a vanity process going on here.  When the dust settles from this latest round of chaos I'm sure some intrepid reporter will write another fluff piece for old white bros to retcon a sound reasoning blaming everyone else and not their egos. 
https://missouri.rivals.com/news/zero-trust-inside-mizzou-s-move-to-the-southeastern-conference
Holy crap no wonder that Col. Sanders looking idiot is so mad about this. He literally wrote a jackoff book about Texas A&M going.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30995 on: July 23, 2021, 07:13:48 PM »
I think the separate SEC league would likely fall flat on its face. I'm curious enough that I would like to see it happen, anyway.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #30996 on: July 23, 2021, 07:15:38 PM »
that barstool douche has no idea what he’s talking about
emaw

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30997 on: July 23, 2021, 07:16:55 PM »

I know how it is, but a conference with enough leverage like this new SEC could tell the TV partner applicants how it'll be, to the benefit of its conference members.

I'm just thinking out loud as to how any conference could do better for members on the time issue,, but also as to how making times as standard as most are in NFL would be doable if we were in a giant conference stretching across 3 time zones, where those rime zones could largely dictate the slots.

This new SEC doesn't have the leverage either, even if they added clumpson, Ohio state, notre dame, and usc. The second they take ESPN's money they lose that leverage. This is the same for every league in the world under a media contract. In England EPL fans and teams complain about Friday night matches they are contractually obligated to play and be flexed into.

Maybe the super sec will eventually, one day, be able to start their own network and keep all of their own ad revenue. But when that happens they'll start flexing schedules too when 2-5 UT are getting pumped by 8-0 Florida in primetime when 7-0 Missouri played the game of the year against 7-0 Georgia in a 2:30 time slot no one saw.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30998 on: July 23, 2021, 07:17:46 PM »

https://twitter.com/JackMacCFB/status/1418678701135384579

I don't believe that this will happen, but I don't have a hard time believing that SEC would like this to happen.  I believe that they want to form an elite new football level entirely separate from the NCAA.

There must be some crazy money on the table for OU and UT. UM/OSU/Clemson just gonna accept less money to stay "loyal" while they get left in the dust?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30999 on: July 23, 2021, 07:19:26 PM »
I think the separate SEC league would likely fall flat on its face. I'm curious enough that I would like to see it happen, anyway.

I think they don't really care if they are alienating people.  I think Dax will actually be more correct than not on this...

College Football if it even exists in 10 year will be regional interest sport with huge swaths of the country not caring.   That’s already the case now and that’s going to accelerate.   

It’ll be a Southern/Texas thing.   The only thing that will save that from being diluted by migration South is the massive influx of Northern out of state students who stay in the region.   But even then, dilution.   It will be the sport of townies, regionalists and Southern homers. 

Not sustainable on a national scale.