Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4378341 times)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29475 on: October 19, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »
Texas, and their big donors, want the Big 12 to survive.  They absolutely love having God-like status.

We'll add a CCG, renegotiate the buyout, most of our schools will be on par with the SEC in terms of cash, and Texas will make more money that everyone. 

Texas will fire Charlie Strong, throw $5 million a year at Tom Herman, and they'll be winning ten game a year, and no one will be talking about leaving the Big 12.
Expect OU, who are becoming more like Red-Assed Aggies.

The OU fans I know in Tulsa are pretty militantly anti-Big 12.  Don't know if they're representative of the fanbase, but the vibe is anti-UT as well.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29476 on: October 19, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
I know it's somewhere itt but I can't find it. Can someone please put that Big 12 tier 3 revenue chart up?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29477 on: October 19, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »
OU hates the Big 12 because of all the 11am kick times they get. They would be much happier kicking off at 10:30pm in the PAC 12.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29478 on: October 19, 2016, 03:28:59 PM »
Texas, and their big donors, want the Big 12 to survive.  They absolutely love having God-like status.

We'll add a CCG, renegotiate the buyout, most of our schools will be on par with the SEC in terms of cash, and Texas will make more money that everyone. 

Texas will fire Charlie Strong, throw $5 million a year at Tom Herman, and they'll be winning ten game a year, and no one will be talking about leaving the Big 12.
Expect OU, who are becoming more like Red-Assed Aggies.

Oklahoma is in a weird spot to trigger realignment.  When they tried last time, they failed because the Pac-12 didn't want Oklahoma State.  So, for starters, if they want to go somewhere else, they need to uncouple from OSU.  That's easier said than done.

So, let's assume for a second that Texas wants to stay, but OU wants to go.  Also, in this scenario, they can move without concern for OSU.  Where do they go?

If you're the Big Ten, do you invite them?  Oklahoma has one of the lowest ratios of cable subscribers by state, and it's a small state to begin with.  Per the last numbers I saw from about a year ago, they had less than 600k subscribers.  So, if you charge $1.00 per month for the state to carry the BTN, that will net you, at best, $7.2 million.  That may get you close to the break even point.  Would the be enough to get you a much better T1/T2 deal?  Maybe, but would it be enough to overcome the diminishing returns of adding two shares?  Probably not.

And Oklahoma isn't an AAU school, and they would walk in as the lowest ranked academic school in the entire consortium of the CIC, so it's not like you're gaining a lot there.  Also, would Michigan and OSU really want to upset the apple cart when the conference is freaking printing money?  Why would they add an academically inferior school in a small, slow growth state with few cable subscribers that would have the potential to upset the balance of power for the current elite teams if there's little monetary incentive?

What about the SEC?  Again, academically, you gain nothing.  No additional prestige.  No new AAU designation.  You add another power school in the west with the potential to siphon off Texas talent that LSU and the rest of the conference is already feasting on.  All of the previous comments about cable subscribers stays true.  And if they still decide that they want to bring OU aboard, who is #16?  Oklahoma State?  Not a chance.  Kansas?  Mayyyyybe.  But even then, they have to uncouple from us, and that's even less likely since we share the same BOR.

So, one, they have to clear the OSU hurdle, which they haven't been able to do.  Two, they have to overcome the fact that they bring few cable subscribers to the table, and they are in a small state.  Three, their academics don't move the needle at all.  Four, even if you net a better T1/T2 deal because of them, is it enough to cover two additional shares?

The only scenario where this really works, for any conference, is if OU and UT move together, as a pair, to a different conference.  OU needs Texas to be a part of the deal because no matter where they go, they need Texas revenue potential to justify the two extra mouths.  It's much harder for everyone to stay square when you start talking about splitting shares at 16 teams vs. 14 teams vs. 12 teams.

And the political ramifications of OU and UT moving together would be so immense that it's probably going to be unbelievably difficult.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29479 on: October 19, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »
Dead on with OU. I've never understood their appeal as a single entity to a conference and I think they are over playing their hand. They are Nebraska with less of a national profile.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29480 on: October 19, 2016, 03:59:13 PM »
If OU hates 11:00am kicks, they should steer clear of big 10.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29481 on: October 19, 2016, 04:05:34 PM »

And sec and acc
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29482 on: October 19, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »

And sec and acc

and the Pac 12

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29483 on: October 19, 2016, 04:43:01 PM »
Would you take every home game from here to eternity at 11 am the in the PAC 1x?  I probably would, post win tailgating is the best tailgating.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29484 on: October 19, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »

And sec and acc

and the Pac 12

The Big Ten and SEC already have so much content that they will play alternative channel games on these networks since they have to stack them at the same time.

So, for example, if you have U-Verse, on most Saturdays, you'll have BTNALT1, BTNALT2 (or something close to that), and the same with SEC, showing a game while the main SEC Network shows something that's more regionally relevant to you.

I'm sure that OU's intelligent fan base looks forward to playing Minnesota on BTN at Noon.  Or Maryland.  Or Rutgers.  Or Purdue.

Moving to the Big Ten or SEC will mean more noon games than they have now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29486 on: October 19, 2016, 06:24:48 PM »
Would you take every home game from here to eternity at 11 am the in the PAC 1x?  I probably would, post win tailgating is the best tailgating.

absofuckinglutely

Not likely to happen, but would take.

And sec and acc

and the Pac 12

The Big Ten and SEC already have so much content that they will play alternative channel games on these networks since they have to stack them at the same time.

So, for example, if you have U-Verse, on most Saturdays, you'll have BTNALT1, BTNALT2 (or something close to that), and the same with SEC, showing a game while the main SEC Network shows something that's more regionally relevant to you.

I'm sure that OU's intelligent fan base looks forward to playing Minnesota on BTN at Noon.  Or Maryland.  Or Rutgers.  Or Purdue.

Moving to the Big Ten or SEC will mean more noon games than they have now.

and if they're the only member of the Pac 12 (or one of two) in the central time zone, who do you think will be asked to take that noon eastern time slot when they're at home?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29487 on: October 19, 2016, 06:47:14 PM »
would love to see how OU reacts to being 10pm ct time slot  :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29489 on: October 19, 2016, 08:04:44 PM »
and if they're the only member of the Pac 12 (or one of two) in the central time zone, who do you think will be asked to take that noon eastern time slot when they're at home?

Right...Oklahoma will get it, and all they do right now is complain about it.

I'm assuming you agree with what I just said?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29490 on: October 19, 2016, 08:12:39 PM »

Right...Oklahoma will get it, and all they do right now is complain about it.

I'm assuming you agree with what I just said?
I agree with you

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29491 on: October 20, 2016, 07:30:20 PM »
And another negative for OU moving on their own... they have long term annual rivalry games with UT and OSU. If they join the big 10 with KU for example, do they play a 9-game conf slate, plus OSU, plus UT? That doesn't sound like a winning formula. Do they stop playing those teams every year? I have a hard time picturing that. They need to be in a conference with at least one of, and probably both, OSU and UT. And there really is only one conference option that could make that happen, the PAC 12. Pan has already shown how the Oac 12 is struggling for revenue and exposure.

I agree with everyone above: OU's best option is the Big 12. I'm still worried about them though, because Boren has mouth-diarrhea, and because the Sooner fans have already worked themselves up into an anti-Big 12 lather. It feels like their fanbase is in the same place now that A&M's was in, prior to them leaving fir the SEC.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29492 on: October 20, 2016, 07:38:49 PM »
I absolutely believe Arizona and Arizona State have informally reached out to us.

Yes. Yes they have.
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29493 on: October 20, 2016, 07:58:22 PM »
I absolutely believe Arizona and Arizona State have informally reached out to us.

Yes. Yes they have.

During the Jamie Pollard radio interview that everyone is talking about, he strongly hinted that the Pac 12 would not stay together when their GOR expires.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29494 on: October 20, 2016, 08:53:43 PM »

Yes. Yes they have.

Quote from: Greg Byrne
sup?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29495 on: October 20, 2016, 09:41:42 PM »

Yes. Yes they have.

During the Jamie Pollard radio interview that everyone is talking about, he strongly hinted that the Pac 12 would not stay together when their GOR expires.

What's interesting is that people all assume that the Big 12 is going to die, but financially, all of our schools are in great shape. We have one of the lowest subsidy rates of any major conference.  And it's just going to get better in the next couple of years. We have almost all of our football games televised on national networks, and our basketball exposure is unmatched.

However, the PAC-12 is taking subsidies at a rate 3-4 times higher than the Big Ten, SEC, and Big 12, they can't get a decent time slot most weeks, and 77% of their basketball games are played on networks no one gets or thinks about watching for basketball.  Their ratings in all sports are generally underwhelming.

Yet the PAC 12 is 100% stable and we aren't. I mean...yeah, I get it, to a certain degree, but are they really 100% stable? 

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29496 on: October 20, 2016, 10:13:58 PM »
Don't most of those PAC schools participate in way more sports than the NCAA minimum?

Couldn't they decide to just trim the fat?

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29497 on: October 20, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »
[birther]lol at west coast liberals reducing an entitlement[/pit]

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29498 on: October 20, 2016, 10:49:54 PM »

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #29499 on: October 20, 2016, 10:58:52 PM »
Don't most of those PAC schools participate in way more sports than the NCAA minimum?

Couldn't they decide to just trim the fat?

Everyone is talking about tv (i.e., football revenues) you mongoloid.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd