Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4167394 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29225 on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:08 PM »
Maryland is a gigantic WTF that we don't talk about very much.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29226 on: September 29, 2016, 06:02:44 PM »
Maryland is a gigantic WTF that we don't talk about very much.
The best college basketball writer in the country said two weeks ago that he still forgets they are in the Big 10.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29227 on: September 29, 2016, 06:40:23 PM »
I'd say A&M, Utah, and Missouri are the real winners out of this whole thing. I know Missouri is trash now, but they played for two conference titles. WOW!

well, Mizzou moved to an easier conference schedule than they had previously. Utah is obviously the massive winner.

Good for Mizzou

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29228 on: September 29, 2016, 06:41:56 PM »
Nebraska's home football games in Big 10 play this year are Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, and Maryland. How could anyone get excited about that lineup? We have years where we don't play a lot of good teams at home, but at least we have rivalries.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #29229 on: September 29, 2016, 09:16:13 PM »
I think Nebraska, Maryland, and Colorado are the only losers in expansion. Maryland is a gigantic WTF that we don't talk about very much.
Very true.

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29230 on: September 30, 2016, 01:17:36 AM »
I'd say A&M, Utah, and Missouri are the real winners out of this whole thing. I know Missouri is trash now, but they played for two conference titles. WOW!

well, Mizzou moved to an easier conference schedule than they had previously. Utah is obviously the massive winner.

Good for Mizzou
The vast majority of hardcore Mizzou fans I know yearn to return to the Big 12. They miss away games in the midwest and they have nothing that even comes close to their rivalry with the squawks in the SEC.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29231 on: September 30, 2016, 06:37:15 AM »
All the Mizzou fans I know are too busy watching ESPN to catch the latest SEC scores to care about much else.  They have adopted full-on "SEC Fan" mode where the success of the conference (in football) is nearly as important to them as the success of their team.

Gen X folks barely remember basketball greatness at this point, and Millennials have no idea basketball was even a thing at Mizzou.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29232 on: September 30, 2016, 06:40:16 AM »
I really dislike the humans in the SEC, so it's hard for me to say that Mizzou is better off now, but clearly they are.

Personally, I am most happy for Colorado.  They get got to finally be where they wanted to be.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29233 on: September 30, 2016, 11:32:35 AM »
I really dislike the humans in the SEC, so it's hard for me to say that Mizzou is better off now, but clearly they are.

Personally, I am most happy for Colorado.  They get got to finally be where they wanted to be.

And I also understand why they wanted to be there,who doesn't want to be with the cool kids?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29234 on: September 30, 2016, 01:28:46 PM »
All the Mizzou fans I know are too busy watching ESPN to catch the latest SEC scores to care about much else.  They have adopted full-on "SEC Fan" mode where the success of the conference (in football) is nearly as important to them as the success of their team.

Gen X folks barely remember basketball greatness at this point, and Millennials have no idea basketball was even a thing at Mizzou.

What Pete said.  Demo158 - I've not met a single Mizzou fan that yearns for a return to the BXII.  Then again, I don't know a ton of MU fans. 

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29236 on: October 04, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »
Don't read into that too much.  No one wants to commit to the current cable model past their GOR, unless you're the ACC, and the only way they were getting the network was with a long GOR agreement.

The Big 12 has been consistent that they want to look at other options (i.e. digital streaming) as we continue to move forward.  You don't want to tether yourself to ESPN right now because they're hemorrhaging viewers, and who knows if they will be looking for a new owner soon since Disney has been very open that ESPN is a huge anchor dragging them down.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29237 on: October 04, 2016, 03:28:17 PM »
I'm sure I've posted this before but how in the world are college football conferences getting TV networks to pay them for this stuff when a bunch of content goes on espnu and fs1 and the primary companies that are willing to pay to advertise during those games are selling flashlights and garden hoses and crap?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29238 on: October 04, 2016, 03:38:46 PM »
It's a beautiful, 70 degree fall Saturday in 2027, I just put one down the middle of the fairway and I'm 140 yards out... in my cart, Wyattvision describes a crucial 3rd down conversion for our Cats in the heat of Mountain West conference play. I smile and put my approach shot 6 feet from the cup. Life is good.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29239 on: October 04, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »
Catheters
Farmersonly.com
Etc

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29240 on: October 04, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »
It's a beautiful, 70 degree fall Saturday in 2027, I just put one down the middle of the fairway and I'm 140 yards out... in my cart, Wyattvision describes a crucial 3rd down conversion for our Cats in the heat of Mountain West conference play. I smile and put my approach shot 6 feet from the cup. Life is good terrible.

FYP

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29241 on: October 04, 2016, 04:18:14 PM »
I want one of those flashlights BTW.  I'm tired of my other pud flashlights not working after being dropped in boiling water or getting run over as I back my Hummer down the driveway.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29242 on: October 04, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »
I want one of those flashlights BTW.  I'm tired of my other pud flashlights not working after being dropped in boiling water or getting run over as I back my Hummer down the driveway.

If you buy one, make sure you tell them your purchase was prompted by their ad during a KSU game, so that they're encouraged to keep paying cable providers for ads, and the cable providers will keep paying espn/fox what they ask for to carry the programming, and espn/fox will keep paying big money to the big 12 that includes the KState #FAMILY market.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29243 on: October 04, 2016, 07:51:19 PM »
I'm sure I've posted this before but how in the world are college football conferences getting TV networks to pay them for this stuff when a bunch of content goes on espnu and fs1 and the primary companies that are willing to pay to advertise during those games are selling flashlights and garden hoses and crap?

Because the stuff on ESPNU and FS1 are just content fillers. They pay for these deals for Louisville vs. Clemson and OU vs. TCU which certainly aren't getting Christmas lights on a projector and flexseal as ads.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29244 on: October 04, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »

Because the stuff on ESPNU and FS1 are just content fillers. They pay for these deals for Louisville vs. Clemson and OU vs. TCU which certainly aren't getting Christmas lights on a projector and flexseal as ads.

I get that.  But it seems that runs counter to it being a positive that conferences expand, and certainly that networks pay more when they do.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29245 on: October 04, 2016, 09:42:58 PM »

I get that.  But it seems that runs counter to it being a positive that conferences expand, and certainly that networks pay more when they do.

The counter to that is what they'd play on these channels if they didn't have football to broadcast.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29246 on: October 04, 2016, 10:07:11 PM »
The counter to that is what they'd play on these channels if they didn't have football to broadcast.

Does it matter to the flashlight companies?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29247 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:35 AM »
ad revenue is not, afaik, the main driver for most of these smaller cable channels.  as long as they get their subscriber fees, they're good.

for the epsn/disney guy.  i don't think there is any way disney sells espn.  it is still a giant revenue generator for them and a huge part of their empire.  they just agreed on a purchase not long ago to help ease the way into online streaming.  they're just trying to manage selling espn content online without cannibalizing their subscription revenue any faster than they have to.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29248 on: October 05, 2016, 12:34:06 AM »
ad revenue is not, afaik, the main driver for most of these smaller cable channels.  as long as they get their subscriber fees, they're good.

I assumed the circle of life here was that networks pay conferences to get supposedly valuable content, to make the networks more valuable to the cable/satellite providers and get subscriber fees, and that the providers pay those fees so that they (not the networks) can get ad revenue from those that want to advertise on the highest watched programming.   

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29249 on: October 05, 2016, 12:36:22 AM »
If I was a network exec, I'd aggressively argue that the big 12 shouldn't expect a dime for their games that end up on espnu/news/3/other, as the network's doing the conference a favor by putting the crap teams on tv so their handful of fans even have the option to watch.