Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068367 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26625 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
Is there any (as much) realignment talk if OU and UT are national title contenders in football?  It just seems to me that fanbases/administrators start looking around for collateral reasons for their football program's ass-suckage.  Conference affiliation is as good a place to start as any.

If OU is recruiting premiere talent and is contending for titles, they're gonna be plastered all across ESPN and SportsCenter on a daily basis.  the money is obviously there already.  They just don't like losing to schools like TCU, Baylor, KSU, etc.  greener pastures type of thing. 

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26626 on: September 04, 2015, 09:35:28 AM »
I read nothing into how TCU or OK State played last night.  Opening night, Thursday night, on the road.   Minn isn't bad and Kill knows Patterson very well.    Both games were purely survive and advance games.
They kept saying how humid it was there when Boykin was cramping up... is there anyway we can indian sweat lodge up the stadium when TCU comes to town.  We can all detox and reestablish ourselves as the one true purple.

Sounds gross and very West Virgina like.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26627 on: September 04, 2015, 12:18:09 PM »
I read nothing into how TCU or OK State played last night.  Opening night, Thursday night, on the road.   Minn isn't bad and Kill knows Patterson very well.    Both games were purely survive and advance games.
They kept saying how humid it was there when Boykin was cramping up... is there anyway we can indian sweat lodge up the stadium when TCU comes to town.  We can all detox and reestablish ourselves as the one true purple.

Failure to adopt the lazy river has real costs.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26628 on: September 04, 2015, 12:33:23 PM »
After the way our two "title contender" teams played last night I am worried  :frown:

The TCU game didn't worry me much.  Even though it was close, they were never really threatened. As for OK State, I think they're just not that good.  I mean, if you didn't listen to the media hyping them up over the offseason and only watched their games last year, you would not have expected them to do much better than they did on the road against Central Michigan.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26629 on: September 15, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
I wonder if Boren dislikes Steve Patterson?  It sounds like many do, so it wouldn't be a surprise if Boren did, but I never saw any indication of a real issue there.  Just wondering if UT changing AD's has any impact on Boren's belly aching about 12 teams as we move forward.   Perhaps they are totally unrelated.

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #26630 on: September 15, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »
I've got this feeling our entire conference is going to be stinky bad this year.   :runaway:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26631 on: September 15, 2015, 01:33:19 PM »
man S PC has been posting his face off today. what's up with that, S PC?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26632 on: September 15, 2015, 02:52:35 PM »
I wonder if Boren dislikes Steve Patterson?  It sounds like many do, so it wouldn't be a surprise if Boren did, but I never saw any indication of a real issue there.  Just wondering if UT changing AD's has any impact on Boren's belly aching about 12 teams as we move forward.   Perhaps they are totally unrelated.

Maybe Boren knew about SP being on thin ice and shot across the bow at UT saying they want someone that's more willing to work with them than he was?

Texas and OU, from all accounts, know how good they have it right now, financially and from a power standpoint.  They aren't looking.  But Boren may start getting more public if UT isn't willing to work with them to his liking.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26633 on: September 15, 2015, 03:20:57 PM »

Maybe Boren knew about SP being on thin ice and shot across the bow at UT saying they want someone that's more willing to work with them than he was?

Texas and OU, from all accounts, know how good they have it right now, financially and from a power standpoint.  They aren't looking.  But Boren may start getting more public if UT isn't willing to work with them to his liking.

Chuck Carlton threw out Joe Castiglione.  Would be an interesting option.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26634 on: September 15, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »

Chuck Carlton threw out Joe Castiglione.  Would be an interesting option.
It will be Mack; the boosters love him.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #26635 on: September 15, 2015, 03:50:52 PM »
man S PC has been posting his face off today. what's up with that, S PC?

I remembered it was September.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26636 on: September 15, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »
WE'RE GETTING TWO MORE TEAMS!!!

Patterson was a "poison pill" in expansion talks.
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26637 on: September 15, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
COME ON DOWN SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE MIDDLE TIER TEAMS  :crossfingers:
emaw

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26638 on: September 15, 2015, 05:46:03 PM »
The interim AD is a very well respected ex-FB player and is signing a 1 year deal.  Supposedly someone is reporting they aren't expecting to make a hire until June.  I'm interested if ESPN will call the interim AD, the UT Pres, and possibly Boren and/or Fox and say "the LHN thing isn't working.  Let's figure something out now to stabilize it and the conference long term for all parties involved and allow the new AD to start controversy free". 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26639 on: September 15, 2015, 05:56:29 PM »

The interim AD is a very well respected ex-FB player and is signing a 1 year deal.  Supposedly someone is reporting they aren't expecting to make a hire until June.  I'm interested if ESPN will call the interim AD, the UT Pres, and possibly Boren and/or Fox and say "the LHN thing isn't working.  Let's figure something out now to stabilize it and the conference long term for all parties involved and allow the new AD to start controversy free".

That would be a touching display of compassion for ESPN to show to the Big 12 conference.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26640 on: September 15, 2015, 06:12:28 PM »

That would be a touching display of compassion for ESPN to show to the Big 12 conference.

That came out more ESPN compassiony than I meant.  What I'm really curious about is if ESPN uses this to try and minimize the losses on LHN, which might include bringing in OU and really trying to figure out if there's a way to create harmony between OU/UT/Big12 that helps them with the LHN problem.  I'm not saying they will or should, or if there even is a solution if they do.  However, this is a unique opportunity for all involved.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26641 on: September 15, 2015, 06:15:08 PM »

And will never happen.

Anyway, would we want to have a conference network if they can't guarantee what we make on kstatehd? Don't we make almost $3MM a year on it? Of have I been drinking too much cider already tonight?
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26642 on: September 15, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »

And will never happen.

Anyway, would we want to have a conference network if they can't guarantee what we make on kstatehd? Don't we make almost $3MM a year on it? Of have I been drinking too much cider already tonight?
Maybe total tier 3 rights, but theres no way we make that much on K-StateHD subscriptions.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #26643 on: September 15, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »
To expand on my Houston comments:

Their new basketball practice facility is worth $20 million.

http://www.uh.edu/plantops/projects/under-construction/basketball-practice-facility/

They are presenting new options for Hofheinz pavillion as well:

http://thedailycougar.com/2015/05/21/hofheinz-renovation-possibilities-presented-to-board-of-regents/

Houston has enough access to talent in all sports and a major market to potentially support them so that they'd be competitive very quickly.  I could see them being a TCU like school by the end of this TV contract if we brought them in around 2017/2018.

And before everyone talks about footprint, if we aren't doing a conference network, that doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Oh my God. I was in Houston's basketball arena yesterday and it is a rough ridin' disaster. Their football stade is great but holy crap am I going to take that hoops arena to the cleaners in the pud stadiums thread. It's unbelievably bad.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26644 on: September 15, 2015, 06:57:53 PM »
something has gone horribly wrong if we are ever in the same conference as Houston.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26645 on: September 15, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »
something has gone horribly wrong if we are ever in the same conference as Houston.
Houston and Cincinnati are coming.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26646 on: September 15, 2015, 08:36:58 PM »
To expand on my Houston comments:

Their new basketball practice facility is worth $20 million.

http://www.uh.edu/plantops/projects/under-construction/basketball-practice-facility/

They are presenting new options for Hofheinz pavillion as well:

http://thedailycougar.com/2015/05/21/hofheinz-renovation-possibilities-presented-to-board-of-regents/

Houston has enough access to talent in all sports and a major market to potentially support them so that they'd be competitive very quickly.  I could see them being a TCU like school by the end of this TV contract if we brought them in around 2017/2018.

And before everyone talks about footprint, if we aren't doing a conference network, that doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Oh my God. I was in Houston's basketball arena yesterday and it is a rough ridin' disaster. Their football stade is great but holy crap am I going to take that hoops arena to the cleaners in the pud stadiums thread. It's unbelievably bad.

They're already looking to renovate.  I'm sure the money would come the second they got an invite a la TCU.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26647 on: September 15, 2015, 08:40:07 PM »
Give me New Mexico and Colorado State or give me the Mountain West Conference.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26648 on: September 15, 2015, 08:40:31 PM »
What does houston have that cincinatti or memphis do not?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #26649 on: September 15, 2015, 08:45:49 PM »
What does houston have that cincinatti or memphis do not?

Symmetrical football stadiums
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12