Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4140353 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26400 on: July 21, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »
No way TX goes w/o taking the WildWildCats.  I mean, they have to basically tell everyone we are the best team in America to keep their own rep up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26401 on: July 21, 2015, 11:19:43 PM »
No way TX goes w/o taking the WildWildCats.  I mean, they have to basically tell everyone we are the best team in America to keep their own rep up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I think Texas would love to get away from our shadow, just like when A&M went to the SEC to get away from Texas. We need to keep an eye on them.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26402 on: July 22, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »
There are plenty of teams outside of Power Five conferences who would gladly accept an invitation to the Big 12, but LHC Bill Snyder suggests reaching out to a former member.

"Let's bring Nebraska back and a few others, one other maybe. I don't know that," Snyder told Fox Sports' David Ubben. "I know the programs I've seen mentioned, all good programs, all good universities."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25247736/bill-snyder-on-big-12-expansion-lets-bring-nebraska-back-and-a-few-others

Snyder is going going rogue, or confused old man just speaking his mind because he's earned that, or executing his piece of a larger plan to humble ourselves to Nebraska and aTm and lure them back in a way that can save face (e.g. Legendary Head Coach Snyder openly saying we are better off with them back)?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26403 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:38 PM »
He's not confused, he's pining for the days when the power wasn't concentrated so heavily in Texas in regards to the geographic location of schools.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26404 on: July 22, 2015, 08:10:30 PM »
He's not confused, he's pining for the days when the power wasn't concentrated so heavily in Texas in regards to the geographic location of schools.
And when you can lose two conference games and still end up champs
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26405 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:11 PM »
And when you can lose two conference games and still end up champs

He only did that once in 10 years.  He's been more successful in round robin.  I think he knows kstate will do better in divisions as opposed to round robin once he's gone, especially if we get Ku and isu.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26406 on: July 23, 2015, 08:28:37 AM »
I agree with Bill.  Bring back Nebraska. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26407 on: July 23, 2015, 09:23:23 AM »
I would take all of the old B12 back, colorado being lowest on my list.

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26408 on: July 23, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »
I wonder how FLHFC Sean Snyder thinks about all of this realignment talk??
[

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26409 on: July 23, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »
I would take all of the old B12 back, colorado being lowest on my list.
Agreed. Would actually prefer to keep wvu over cu.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26411 on: July 27, 2015, 07:06:15 AM »
I know KU people stupidly long for the BiG, but there's a very good chance that without both OU and Texas coming that KU football is harmed significantly.   KU football is already the worst P5 program in the country, and I just don't see Texas recruits running to jump the border to play football at KU without regular conference games in that direction.   If it were just Iowa State and KU, than Nebraska would have to be ecstatic because they already play in the weakest P5 conference division in college football. 

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26412 on: July 27, 2015, 07:45:00 AM »
I know KU people stupidly long for the BiG, but there's a very good chance that without both OU and Texas coming that KU football is harmed significantly.   KU football is already the worst P5 program in the country, and I just don't see Texas recruits running to jump the border to play football at KU without regular conference games in that direction.   If it were just Iowa State and KU, than Nebraska would have to be ecstatic because they already play in the weakest P5 conference division in college football.

I get longing to play football in the SEC or being able to travel to the Pac 12 for the cool places and the access to California recruiting. I can't for the life of me understand the fascination with joining the Big 10. Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota and Indiana who will probably all be in KUs division all average in the 40k in attendance and combined havent been relevant in generations. The league is top heavy, the destinations are boring. Its just baffling that you'd rather join that conference than make the Big 12 work.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26413 on: July 27, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
KU wants to separate because many think that is the only way their football program will improve.  For some reason a new conference without K-State equals a good football program.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26414 on: July 27, 2015, 09:17:17 AM »
 :facepalm:

Clay Travis, everyone.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26415 on: July 27, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »
Sounds like Iowa is willing to go to bat for Iowa State far more than Kansas is willing to go to bat for Kansas State. The UI president apparently lobbied hard for ISU back during the 2009 and 2010 scares.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26416 on: July 27, 2015, 10:02:37 AM »
Sounds like Iowa is willing to go to bat for Iowa State far more than Kansas is willing to go to bat for Kansas State. The UI president apparently lobbied hard for ISU back during the 2009 and 2010 scares.

The biggest difference is KU is getting surpassed in many categories by K-State, and K-State is doing a good job of rubbing in their face.  (Kansas high school students prefer KSU over KU, athletic department money, economy in the city, etc.).  Both are building new business and engineering schools, but K-State is getting NBAF, new dorms, Architecture school, student Union, Welcome Center, Foundation Center....list goes on and on.  KU needs a reason to be better than K-State and separating themselves is the only way they feel like that is going to happen.  Most of KU's negativity towards the Big 12 is because they suck at football and are overshadowed by big bro down the road.     

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26417 on: July 27, 2015, 10:12:09 AM »
from a stud guy I know who knows stuff like this

Some of the heaviest-hitter alums from KU are quietly lobbying the Kansas B.O.R. right now to accept the separation of KU and KSU into different conferences. Their thinking is this will ease KU's path in the future (whatever that may be). Despite Boren and the new article about the Big 10, there's apparently nothing on the table right now connected to KU.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #26418 on: July 27, 2015, 10:16:39 AM »
I've never seen a school/fan base that wants to feel/be as important as KU ppl do. It's very bizarre. Someone tell them they're pretty already or something.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26419 on: July 27, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »

The biggest difference is KU is getting surpassed in many categories by K-State, and K-State is doing a good job of rubbing in their face.  (Kansas high school students prefer KSU over KU, athletic department money, economy in the city, etc.).  Both are building new business and engineering schools, but K-State is getting NBAF, new dorms, Architecture school, student Union, Welcome Center, Foundation Center....list goes on and on.  KU needs a reason to be better than K-State and separating themselves is the only way they feel like that is going to happen.  Most of KU's negativity towards the Big 12 is because they suck at football and are overshadowed by big bro down the road.     

Not to steal the thunder too much from K-State growth, because I personally noticed the significant growth during my year in Kansas, but a lot of that growth is seen at land grant schools nationwide. Bio-tech and the sciences in general are at a higher premium and have been made a priority by the Federal Government. Iowa State now has 35,000 students, and there are construction cranes everywhere on campus, with dorms, labs, athletic complexes, lecture halls, etc. That being said, having one board of regents means that the universities are technically supposed to feed off of each other, instead of being separate entities. It was somewhat reassuring seeing a Big Ten school asking their league to add their sister school in the state to join their league if their existing home washed away. That being said, both schools have both boomed in the last ten years, and many initiatives are between both institutions, so there is less competition it seems than what I saw in Kansas between KU and KState. Both ISU and U of I are in really good shape as schools overall. The University of Kansas did not appear to be in bad shape when I lived in Lawrence though, so I'd hope they would understand what having two high-major schools in the state means for the state they serve, instead of having only one. States like Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin are far more limited with the capabilities they have to serve their states, simply because there is only one major institution. Hopefully its only t-shirt fans for KU hoping for only having one major school in the state.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26420 on: July 27, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
So, we've get OU people saying it's the conference dragging them down and we've got KU people say it's the conference and K-State, mainly K-State dragging them down.

Yet, you can find other states with similar arrangements where the so called "flagship" has flourished with a a strong and viable Land Grant in the state, and in one case, literally right down the road.   It would seem that KU as an institution would be better served to look inward and try and understand why they're so mediocre, and why Iowa, UNC-Chapel Hill, UVA and others are so much more highly ranked and highly thought of academically while they share states with larger land grants who themselves are very good schools in their own right.    But for KU, it's always blame, blame, blame.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26421 on: July 27, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »

Some of the heaviest-hitter alums from KU are quietly lobbying the Kansas B.O.R. right now to accept the separation of KU and KSU into different conferences. Their thinking is this will ease KU's path in the future (whatever that may be). Despite Boren and the new article about the Big 10, there's apparently nothing on the table right now connected to KU.

I'm sure there will be a lot of lobbying, but with as much political capital that's been spent on the NBAF, my guess is that will probably trump whatever Dana Anderson has to say.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26422 on: July 27, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »

LOL, Kansas has as much influence as we do, we don't need them "going to bat for us" nor do I envision a scenario in which it would be helpful even if they did. They need to look out for themselves. The same could be said for Iowa and Iowa State. Even if Iowa did tell the Big 10 that ISU would be fine to bring in I can't imagine another college president saying okay and just letting it go. These conferences are going to do what they think is best for them, this isn't someone vouching  for his buddy to join the weekly noon basketball pickup game.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26423 on: July 27, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »

Not to steal the thunder too much from K-State growth, because I personally noticed the significant growth during my year in Kansas, but a lot of that growth is seen at land grant schools nationwide. Bio-tech and the sciences in general are at a higher premium and have been made a priority by the Federal Government. Iowa State now has 35,000 students, and there are construction cranes everywhere on campus, with dorms, labs, athletic complexes, lecture halls, etc. That being said, having one board of regents means that the universities are technically supposed to feed off of each other, instead of being separate entities. It was somewhat reassuring seeing a Big Ten school asking their league to add their sister school in the state to join their league if their existing home washed away. That being said, both schools have both boomed in the last ten years, and many initiatives are between both institutions, so there is less competition it seems than what I saw in Kansas between KU and KState. Both ISU and U of I are in really good shape as schools overall. The University of Kansas did not appear to be in bad shape when I lived in Lawrence though, so I'd hope they would understand what having two high-major schools in the state means for the state they serve, instead of having only one. States like Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin are far more limited with the capabilities they have to serve their states, simply because there is only one major institution. Hopefully its only t-shirt fans for KU hoping for only having one major school in the state.

Havs you are fantastic  :lol:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26424 on: July 27, 2015, 06:38:15 PM »

feel free to pm me additional information. I probably already know it all but send it anyway just so we can compare sources.
emaw