Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068280 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26350 on: July 11, 2015, 09:26:05 AM »
Well Pete, I think that's the pinnacle of MU athletic success in the last 50 years.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26351 on: July 11, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
I would be surprised at the "torn down" but I could see a substantial gut keeping the iconic facade and replacing just about everything else.
iconic facade  :lol:

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #26352 on: July 11, 2015, 09:42:29 AM »
what a thread that is

I really enjoyed this post:

If the SEC was going to pay for a new football stadium for KU, I'd love for it to happen. The chances of that happening though are the same as Mizzou ever being relevant in anything, 0%.

Mizzou has won two SEC East Division titles, right?

Winning the East is like winning the old Big 12 North after 2003. They're also 1-10 vs SEC teams with winning conference records.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26353 on: July 11, 2015, 09:47:40 AM »
I would be surprised at the "torn down" but I could see a substantial gut keeping the iconic facade and replacing just about everything else.
iconic facade 
That guy has to be a gE'er.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26354 on: July 11, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
The iconic Cold War fallout shelter facade on the East side, and the Rommel approved Atlantic Wall facade on the West side.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26356 on: July 13, 2015, 01:45:49 PM »
They should start their own conference.  The Loser 5, the Almost Power 5, Sucky Nobodys, or something.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26357 on: July 13, 2015, 11:53:58 PM »
what a thread that is

Top notch bullshit in that thread. Delusion off the chart, at least a few over there have the sense to call out the bullshit.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26359 on: July 14, 2015, 08:03:15 AM »
The bubble is all of big time college/professional sports over the past 20 years. Are the clippers really worth 2 billion? I mean I guess they are because someone paid that but eventually people will come to their senses.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26360 on: July 14, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »
Not exactly apples to apples, but you know who didn't go under in the tech bubble? Major websites like Yahoo, Google, Amazon, and eBay. The losers in this won't be the major cable networks like ESPN, TNT, CNN, FS1, etc. Viewers will pay for that content. The smaller networks that are only making .25/month will be the ones to go under. They'll need to charge over 10x as much in an a la carte system and no one is paying $3/month for Animal Planet or Hallmark Movie Channel.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26361 on: July 14, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
I would pay $3/mo for Animal planet.   :dunno:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26362 on: July 14, 2015, 10:11:27 AM »
How many hours per month do you watch AP? Or do you just like the idea of having it available?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26363 on: July 14, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »
How many hours per month do you watch AP? Or do you just like the idea of having it available?
Kids love it. 

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26364 on: July 14, 2015, 10:17:08 AM »
Kids love it. 

:thumbs:

AP was a bad example. Add Nickelodeon and Disney to the list of networks who will be just fine.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26365 on: July 14, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »
My wife would probably pay $3/mo for Hallmark channel...I believe they have infinite Christmas movies and they are counting down to the holidays...  :bang:

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26366 on: July 14, 2015, 11:02:30 AM »
Would definitely pay $3/mo for Discovery and History channels
@Trogdor_gE

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26367 on: July 14, 2015, 02:07:09 PM »
How much would ESPN, Fox Midwest, Fox 1, etc have to charge?  I mean, this is the only question that actually means anything to me.  The rest is something I can get from an online source.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26368 on: July 14, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »
How much would ESPN, Fox Midwest, Fox 1, etc have to charge?  I mean, this is the only question that actually means anything to me.  The rest is something I can get from an online source.

If the 20% number is a good estimate, that means about 18.9 million people are interested in keeping ESPN, regardless.

Assuming those folks bought into monthly subscription model, like HBO Now, Netflix, or Hulu, you'd need to charge $33 a month for ESPN for them to match current revenue totals.

My guess is that ESPN could probably get away with charging $19.99 a month.  Beyond that, I think you'll find a lot of people walk away.  It's hard to justify spending more than $240 a year for just ESPN. 

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26369 on: July 14, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »

If the 20% number is a good estimate, that means about 18.9 million people are interested in keeping ESPN, regardless.

Assuming those folks bought into monthly subscription model, like HBO Now, Netflix, or Hulu, you'd need to charge $33 a month for ESPN for them to match current revenue totals.

My guess is that ESPN could probably get away with charging $19.99 a month.  Beyond that, I think you'll find a lot of people walk away.  It's hard to justify spending more than $240 a year for just ESPN.
If you included the ESPN family of networks then $20/month would be a bargain.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26370 on: July 14, 2015, 08:12:21 PM »

For some it would be a bargain. But would 20 million people agree with you?

Maybe, maybe not.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26371 on: July 14, 2015, 08:22:34 PM »

Maybe, maybe not.
I'll tell you what I would do, and I think I'm speaking for the majority.  I would get K-State HD and WiFi it to my big screen.  Also, I'd watch ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox for the digital over the air games.  And eff paying a bunch of money for shitty games that I don't care about.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26372 on: July 14, 2015, 08:23:50 PM »

Maybe, maybe not.

ESPN will find the correct price point to make it work. Netflix has over 40M subscribers in the US and over 60M worldwide. I bet ESPN could approach those numbers in 5 years if cable providers go away.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26373 on: July 19, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »
So a little nugget to add in the absurd academics segment of conference realignment.   You know, the part that university presidents and kool-aid drinking constituents involve themselves in so as to make themselves believe that all of this talk still has an academic component and isn't entirely about money.

I see where K-State has the 22nd highest revenue per licensed patent out of all public research universities and the 28th most licenses and options to license per 100 research disclosures.   K-State has been awarded 14 patents in the last year including a patent on what could be a very important cancer detecting blood test. 

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26374 on: July 19, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »
So a little nugget to add in the absurd academics segment of conference realignment.   You know, the part that university presidents and kool-aid drinking constituents involve themselves in so as to make themselves believe that all of this talk still has an academic component and isn't entirely about money.

I see where K-State has the 22nd highest revenue per licensed patent out of all public research universities and the 28th most licenses and options to license per 100 research disclosures.   K-State has been awarded 14 patents in the last year including a patent on what could be a very important cancer detecting blood test.

I don't see how this makes ku look bad