Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068114 times)

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #24200 on: March 11, 2013, 11:40:45 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130310/media-circus-fox-sports-1/?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp

Great info on FOX1 here. How would you like to hear Gus calling a Cats game or two next winter?

UFC and Regis...  :barf:

This had so much potential until fox hired a Pitt state graphic designer and programming director from junction city.
FOX has had UFC programming for a year now. Are you supposed to like every second of programming? Not sure why anyone would have beef with Regis.

Problem with him personally? Nope. My "beef" with him is he probably knows as much about sports as The Animal. Do you want to sit around and listen to that guy talk sports?
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24201 on: March 12, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »

No.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #24202 on: March 12, 2013, 12:47:48 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130310/media-circus-fox-sports-1/?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp

Great info on FOX1 here. How would you like to hear Gus calling a Cats game or two next winter?

UFC and Regis...  :barf:

This had so much potential until fox hired a Pitt state graphic designer and programming director from junction city.
FOX has had UFC programming for a year now. Are you supposed to like every second of programming? Not sure why anyone would have beef with Regis.

Problem with him personally? Nope. My "beef" with him is he probably knows as much about sports as The Animal. Do you want to sit around and listen to that guy talk sports?
Lee Corso is on College Gameday and people (me especially) love him.

I'm sure Regis can fill the zany Notre Dame guy role fine, so long as there's a Herbstreit or Fowler (the straight men) alongside him.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24203 on: March 12, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
Does Regis know anything about sports?  I don't see him as being likeable to men, who watch sports more than women.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24204 on: March 12, 2013, 08:26:39 AM »
Why does Regis have to know anything about sports? He just has to read from a teleprompter. JFC, guys.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24205 on: March 12, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
Maybe he doesn't?  But he sure as eff should be likeable by the largest relavent demographic.

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24206 on: March 12, 2013, 08:39:15 AM »
I thought I saw somewhere that Regis is a huge New York Yankees fan.
RIP Fatty

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #24207 on: March 12, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
I can't believe you guys are complaining about a show that's going to be on during a time when most of you can't watch it anyway.

How many of you complain about how awful "Around the Horn" is?  None of you do.  It's because it's on when you're all at work.

JFC, guys.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24208 on: March 12, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »
Hmm.  Between this, Watch ESPN, and HBO Go, I may be able to cut cable altogether.

4b. ESPN executives will be closely watching the August launch of Fox Sports Go, a mobile app for iPhone, iPad, Android devices and the web which will stream sports content from Fox Sports, Fox Sports 1 and the company's 22 regional sports networks. This is Fox's product answer to ESPN's immensely popular WatchESPN, which allows for mobile viewing of all of ESPN's live sports on an authenticated basis. Fox said its live games and events will be available to subscribers of participating cable, satellite, and telco providers at no additional cost. Fox is also redesigning Fox Sports.com and will re-launch all of its mobile apps in April.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24209 on: March 12, 2013, 10:13:22 AM »
I can't believe you guys are complaining about a show that's going to be on during a time when most of you can't watch it anyway.

How many of you complain about how awful "Around the Horn" is?  None of you do.  It's because it's on when you're all at work.

JFC, guys.

I used to watch ATH all the time when I was in School just for Woody Paige. LOVE THAT GUY

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24210 on: March 12, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
Hmm.  Between this, Watch ESPN, and HBO Go, I may be able to cut cable altogether.

4b. ESPN executives will be closely watching the August launch of Fox Sports Go, a mobile app for iPhone, iPad, Android devices and the web which will stream sports content from Fox Sports, Fox Sports 1 and the company's 22 regional sports networks. This is Fox's product answer to ESPN's immensely popular WatchESPN, which allows for mobile viewing of all of ESPN's live sports on an authenticated basis. Fox said its live games and events will be available to subscribers of participating cable, satellite, and telco providers at no additional cost. Fox is also redesigning Fox Sports.com and will re-launch all of its mobile apps in April.

That would be nice if you could find a provider that will offer the service without also making you pay for the channel, like Cox does. How are you going to get HBO Go without having a cable subscription?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24211 on: March 12, 2013, 10:24:23 AM »

JFC, guys.

I think the sentiment, at least from me is:

1.  I'd like the network to succeed
2.  So like don't eff it up
3.  Regis might not eff it up
4.  But he shouldn't be the one celebrity you name in the release
5.  Because there has got to be a better option
6.  rough ridin' Regis!

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24212 on: March 12, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »
If I'm reading these right...

1f. Fox Sports 1 will air a primetime Thursday Night college football game and a tripleheader on Saturdays. The teams will be drawn from among the Pac-12, Big 12 and Conference USA.

1g. Prime-time college basketball games will air Monday and Thursday nights, plus Saturday and Sunday coverage of the Big 12, Pac-12 and Conference USA

... a couple of things are probably true.

1. As was mentioned by someone earlier in the thread, FX is probably going to dump games.
2. The Big 12 will probably have one game on FOX network, 1-2 games on FS1, 1-2 games on ABC/ESPN, and one on FSN per week.
3. There will be less games on the Big 12 syndicated network since Fox will be pulling a lot more of that content onto FS1.

Man, because the Pac-12 has to give about as many games as we do to ABC/ESPN, and they carve off a game or two to the Pac-12 Network, it's going to be slim pickings for FS1.  There's going to be a lot of Marshall and FIU on FS1 if we don't start taking some more teams and/or FOX doesn't strike up deals with other conferences.

The C7/Big East getting on FS1 will be a huge deal for that network, though.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24213 on: March 12, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »

That would be nice if you could find a provider that will offer the service without also making you pay for the channel, like Cox does. How are you going to get HBO Go without having a cable subscription?

Absolutely no way at all.

:users:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24214 on: March 12, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »

JFC, guys.

6.  rough ridin' Regis!

Someone brought you a nice steak dinner and you're complaining that the parsley isn't green enough.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24215 on: March 12, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »

JFC, guys.

6.  rough ridin' Regis!

I think you are really underestimating the drawing power of Regis Philbin here. He's great. He's much better than some sports writer or retired coach would have been.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24216 on: March 12, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »
If I'm reading these right...

1f. Fox Sports 1 will air a primetime Thursday Night college football game and a tripleheader on Saturdays. The teams will be drawn from among the Pac-12, Big 12 and Conference USA.

1g. Prime-time college basketball games will air Monday and Thursday nights, plus Saturday and Sunday coverage of the Big 12, Pac-12 and Conference USA

... a couple of things are probably true.

1. As was mentioned by someone earlier in the thread, FX is probably going to dump games.
2. The Big 12 will probably have one game on FOX network, 1-2 games on FS1, 1-2 games on ABC/ESPN, and one on FSN per week.
3. There will be less games on the Big 12 syndicated network since Fox will be pulling a lot more of that content onto FS1.

Man, because the Pac-12 has to give about as many games as we do to ABC/ESPN, and they carve off a game or two to the Pac-12 Network, it's going to be slim pickings for FS1.  There's going to be a lot of Marshall and FIU on FS1 if we don't start taking some more teams and/or FOX doesn't strike up deals with other conferences.

The C7/Big East getting on FS1 will be a huge deal for that network, though.

Can't wait for the "The big12 took FSU and Clemson because Fox told them to" whispers

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24217 on: March 12, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »

JFC, guys.

6.  rough ridin' Regis!

Someone brought you a nice steak dinner and you're complaining that the parsley isn't green enough.

Especially when 2 years ago you were about to go on a diet of nothing but Hamburger Helper

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24218 on: March 12, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »
What Fox can do with FS1 (and potentially FS2) and Fox Sports Go is pretty cool.  You have a vehicle that can span from broadcast network television to regional cable that goes to the granular level of major league cities and then onto the net for spillover.

Let's look at a league like the Mountain West.  If you assume that the Big 12, Pac-12, and C-USA stick with FOX (which they will for a long time), and they ultimately sign the MWC, you could do something like this...

In the weeks where the MWC has a big game, you could do what ABC does and have a window for selecting big games a couple weeks out.  If Boise State has a big game against someone, maybe a big conference team in the non-con, you could put that game on FOX.  Later in the year, if the game is big, you can put it on FS1 or FS2 if it doesn't necessarily have broadcast network appeal.  For most MWC games, or C-USA games for that matter, you can use FSN to broadcast it to particular regions of the country where you can charge higher ad rates for that regionally relevant game.  If someone is mad that you can't see it in your region, there's always Fox Sports Go, which you can stream on your iPad, laptop, iPhone or using your XBox 360, PS3, or Roku.

On an average Saturday, at the same time, on FSN channels in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, you could be watching San Diego State vs. Air Force while FSN in the Midwest would show Kansas vs. Iowa State.  In the Florida, you could watch FAU vs. FIU on Sun Sports and SportSouth while Root Sports and other Northeastern Fox affiliates could show Tulsa at Marshall.  If you're a KU fan that's displaced in Arizona, and you aren't getting the game, you can log onto Fox Sports Go to see it.

Using the top-to-bottom mechanism, Fox can put spotlight games on the broadcast networks, really good games on FS1 and FS2, and then sell off crappy large conference games and smaller, mid-major conference games to regionally relevant audiences using FSN and Fox Sports Go.  ESPN doesn't have the regional reach that Fox does to cultivate and profit on that kind of model.

It sounds like the Mountain West is going to sign a deal with ESPN soon, but it's really peanuts ($18 million a year divided by 12 schools).  Eventually, when Fox gets this thing up and running, they could probably work a lot of these conferences profitably into their model.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24219 on: March 13, 2013, 12:52:05 AM »

JFC, guys.

6.  rough ridin' Regis!

I think you are really underestimating the drawing power of Regis Philbin here. He's great. He's much better than some sports writer or retired coach would have been.

People love Regis, me included, he's hilarious. I'd love to hang out with Reege. EMO you have no idea how much he knows about sports, very weird thing to be sore about.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #24220 on: March 13, 2013, 03:09:31 AM »
i find him really annoying, but dnc at all that he's going to be on a tv show i won't watch.  probably better than jim rome.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24221 on: March 13, 2013, 08:48:54 AM »
Guys what I care about is Regis was the best they could scrape together for the announcement!  REGIS! 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24222 on: March 13, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
Regis will be great on a national sports show - It will likely be very East Coast biased (tons of Yankees, NFC East and ND). 

I think people that don't like Regis either let their dislike of Kathy Lee and/or Kelly keep them from enjoying his adorableness or are angry about the fact they didn't know any of the answers on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24223 on: March 15, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »
Regis is a more coherent Corso (even pre-stroke)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24224 on: March 15, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
Guys, do you think that FS1 might turn to their Flagship U to find Regis' co-host for their version of college gameday? Maybe if the NFL thing doesn't work out for Collin, he could be the next Herbstreet.