Author Topic: Risky Hiring  (Read 5943 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Hiring
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »
you hire people, not archetypes.  hiring underwood (now) would be the most conventional move kstate could possibly make.

i'd love it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 01:33:12 PM »
Like, I know we'll probably hire some typical white guy mid major dork, but I'm 100% convinced that we should go unconventional, unless somehow a Brad Stevens fell magically into our lap.

Do you have a non-white candidate in mind?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 01:38:31 PM »
you hire people, not archetypes.  hiring underwood (now) would be the most conventional move kstate could possibly make.

i'd love it.

This is me too. Not surprising from a fellow ISTJ though.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 01:46:54 PM »
Pretty sure we already had this thread.

Maybe Eddie Sutton @ OSU (after KSU passed on him)

I'm sure there have got to be other examples. Probably there are several coaches who were "pressured out" rather than fired, like Tubby at UK or Dana Altman at KSU (though Altman doesn't fit the mold of this question, because he went to Creighton next).
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »

I'm sure there have got to be other examples. Probably there are several coaches who were "pressured out" rather than fired, like Tubby at UK or Dana Altman at KSU (though Altman doesn't fit the mold of this question, because he went to Creighton next).

If you are sure about others, give em up.  I'll even take "pressured out" ones.   Sutton is probably a gray area (more likely was pressured to resign due to the scandal), but I will include him on the list.

So far:
Sutton from UK to hapless and moribund OSU (clearly OSU is on a lower level than UK, and they were struggling pretty bad so it was worth a risk to hire the hometown guy)
Smith from UK to hapless and moribund Minnesota (clearly Minnesota is on a lower level than UK)
Weber from UIUC to recently revitalized KSU which was actually more successful than UIUC over the past few years.
Smith from Minnesota to hapless and moribund Texas Tech

Wow hiring a coach who has just been fired for being a bad basketball coach looks like a great sign of a program's health!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:36:01 PM by Chingon »

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »
if we don't overthink it we'll get brad.  currie will probably overthink it and hire some other dork.  so in that sense maybe we should just stick with this squeaky dork we have now.
emaw

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
Just throwing it out there, not sure what I think about it, but what about the Northern Iowa coach?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »
Risky would be hiring Chet.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 09:15:25 PM »
Risky would be hiring Chet.

if someone had a gun in mouth and was pressuring me to hire someone on this staff, it'd be brooks by a landslide.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

catzacker

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 09:44:43 PM »
I just want someone different.  Someone for no other reason than because they haven't failed yet.

Offline signature move

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 01:35:04 PM »

If you are sure about others, give em up.  I'll even take "pressured out" ones.   Sutton is probably a gray area (more likely was pressured to resign due to the scandal), but I will include him on the list.

So far:
Sutton from UK to hapless and moribund OSU (clearly OSU is on a lower level than UK, and they were struggling pretty bad so it was worth a risk to hire the hometown guy)
Smith from UK to hapless and moribund Minnesota (clearly Minnesota is on a lower level than UK)
Weber from UIUC to recently revitalized KSU which was actually more successful than UIUC over the past few years.
Smith from Minnesota to hapless and moribund Texas Tech

Wow hiring a coach who has just been fired for being a bad basketball coach looks like a great sign of a program's health!

steve alford was about to get canned by iowa, i believe, before he went to new mexico or new mexico state or whatever. that actually worked out well. for him, at least.

but, yeah, if you're asking if it was weird to hire weber. . . well, yeah.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 02:05:25 PM »
you guys, the day Huggins was hired was so freaking great. remember how excited you were? I mean my word fellas. Will anything ever feel like that again?
hiring jim tressell probably

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 02:07:27 PM »
Just throwing it out there, not sure what I think about it, but what about the Northern Iowa coach?
as steve dave pointed out to me in another thread it more about recruiting these days than coaching. with that form of thinking i would go delante hill easily. cant get more risky than that

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »
We could easily get a way better recruiter than Dalonte Hill today.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 02:18:07 PM »
im not big into the basketball scene recruiting wise(aau is my main reason why) who would you put on that short list?

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 02:34:42 PM »
Like, I know we'll probably hire some typical white guy mid major dork, but I'm 100% convinced that we should go unconventional, unless somehow a Brad Stevens fell magically into our lap.

How about George Karl's protege Mitch Richmond?
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2015/2/12/8031207/mitch-richmond-to-join-george-karls-coaching-staff-in-sacramento

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 02:36:56 PM »

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2015/2/12/8031207/mitch-richmond-to-join-george-karls-coaching-staff-in-sacramento

Do we think think he can recruit? Tucks might be able to get behind that hire, unless  :opcat:

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 02:42:55 PM »

Do we think think he can recruit?

Current scout for Kings, dashing good looks, NBAHOF'er -- who wouldn't play for him?

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 02:55:08 PM »
Sutton's the only other "fired then moved on immediately to lesser program" I can think of. Weber resume included nothing like what Sutton accomplished at Arkansas.
The list of hook-up-with-less-program-before-you-get-canned list includes Altman, Smith (twice), Alford, Haith and McDermott.
I'd nominate Eustachy as an unconventional hire the tucks would hate and Currie would never make.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2015, 03:00:06 PM »
im not big into the basketball scene recruiting wise(aau is my main reason why) who would you put on that short list?

I don't follow it that closely so I don't really know who the top recruiters are, but you know Dalonte got fired from Maryland, right?

And off the top of my head, Jerome Tang and Butch Pierre would both probably be much better recruiters for KSU as it stands today. I'm sure there's many, many more.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »

I don't follow it that closely so I don't really know who the top recruiters are, but you know Dalonte got fired from Maryland, right?

And off the top of my head, Jerome Tang and Butch Pierre would both probably be much better recruiters for KSU as it stands today. I'm sure there's many, many more.
yes but he got fired for driving drunk all of the time. give him a stint in rehab and bam! slate cleaned

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2015, 03:20:12 PM »

yes but he got fired for driving drunk all of the time. give him a stint in rehab and bam! slate cleaned

I would hire him as an assistant in a second but it I still think there are many, many head coach candidates who would be better recruiters than dalonte at this point in time. IMO the DUI thing doesn't hurt him as much if he isn't the face of the program.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2015, 03:23:19 PM »

I would hire him as an assistant in a second but it I still think there are many, many head coach candidates who would be better recruiters than dalonte at this point in time. IMO the DUI thing doesn't hurt him as much if he isn't the face of the program.
oh i agree with that completely. the next hire will most likely be a long shot regardless, assuming its after next year

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »

I don't want to minimize what Dalonte is as a recruiter but Curtis Malone going to the pen greatly reduces his appeal

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »

Do we think think he can recruit?

Current scout for Kings, dashing good looks, NBAHOF'er -- who wouldn't play for him?

If Mitch Richmond wants to coach, I'd be fine with giving him a chance.