Author Topic: Risky Hiring  (Read 5999 times)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Hiring
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2015, 04:25:10 PM »
Like, I know we'll probably hire some typical white guy mid major dork, but I'm 100% convinced that we should go unconventional, unless somehow a Brad Stevens fell magically into our lap.

Do you have a non-white candidate in mind?

USF is currently dead last in the American at 1-11 and 7-18 overall. His '15 recruiting class is nothing special either.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »
Like, I know we'll probably hire some typical white guy mid major dork, but I'm 100% convinced that we should go unconventional, unless somehow a Brad Stevens fell magically into our lap.

Do you have a non-white candidate in mind?

USF is currently dead last in the American at 1-11 and 7-18 overall. His '15 recruiting class is nothing special either.

Not to mention the troubling reports that foreheads around Tampa have been mysteriously disappearing.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 01:12:57 PM »
An important (likely psychological) addendum:

You have programs A, B, and C.  Programs A and B are in the same state and same conference. Program B is doing well enough, but really wants to be good as good as program A (which is a national power).  Program A is on a great run of success after poaching the rising star and successful coach from Program C.  So, when program B is need of a coach what do they do?  They hire the coach who was recently fired from Program C.  The coach who immediately followed the coach hired away by Program A, who lead Program C to it's worst season in history, and arguably has Program C worse than Program B.

The effect of knowing that success at C -> getting hired at A, while losing at C -> getting hired at B magnifies the oddness of the hiring.   I can't imagine this ever happening before (two "rival" schools in the same conference hiring a coach from a third school with such different endings at that school).