Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 356160 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #5225 on: September 17, 2022, 09:21:50 AM »
That grain cart is a hot POA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #5226 on: September 17, 2022, 03:00:14 PM »
I'm suprised there's anything to cut.  Aren't you in western ks?
Tom is a Flint hills farmer

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: September 17, 2022, 09:40:32 PM »
In other news the drought out at the cat ranch zero'd out our milo crop, just gonna cash some gov insurance checks now.

This includes the "irrigated" circle (split well thats on my aunts land, we get it like 1/4 weeks) which my dad fought with the GOVERNMENT insurance man to get classified as irrigated for insurance purposes. What my dad didn't realize is that if you grow the same crop year over year the insurance payments go down (to encourage crop rotation) and of course my dad has grown milo on that circle for like 4 years straight because one year he made some money doing it.

The good news is that my dad has finally realized he is not a farmer and is going to cash rent our land to the local land baron which is what I told him to do 5 years ago......

BUT we still have like 120 acres of pasture + grazing on harvested crop fields that my dad has been leasing to a local kid about my age and now he wants to get a couple of heifers to start his own herd and let the local kid take care of them all.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: September 17, 2022, 09:44:52 PM »
My dad let the local rancher run his cattle on our pasture for free this year in exchange for putting in a fence around our newly broke out dryland field. My dad bought the fence posts/barbed wire etc and the local rancher put in the fence doing the hard work. I've met him a couple times and like him so I'm encouraging my dad to continue to rent the pasture to him.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: September 17, 2022, 09:50:17 PM »
good move not farming. Looking forward to the adventures ranching.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: September 17, 2022, 10:04:25 PM »

Fun fact. Last year my dad bought 3 feeder calfs at the local sale barn to fatten up. One of them died like 3 days later and the remaining 2 escaped the first time my dad went back to KC and ended up 7 miles away. He ended up selling the remaining 2 like 1 month after he bought them. There was also a random vet visit that costs what he thought most of his profit would be if he had actually sold the cows for a profit.

As long as the young local rancher is around it should be all good.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: September 17, 2022, 11:51:28 PM »
I'm suprised there's anything to cut.  Aren't you in western ks?
NEKS

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: September 18, 2022, 08:59:14 AM »
That grain cart is a hot POA

1100 bushels.  Unloads in about 2 minutes.

Tom

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: September 18, 2022, 11:23:24 AM »

Fun fact. Last year my dad bought 3 feeder calfs at the local sale barn to fatten up. One of them died like 3 days later and the remaining 2 escaped the first time my dad went back to KC and ended up 7 miles away. He ended up selling the remaining 2 like 1 month after he bought them. There was also a random vet visit that costs what he thought most of his profit would be if he had actually sold the cows for a profit.

As long as the young local rancher is around it should be all good.

:lol:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: September 18, 2022, 11:33:49 AM »
In other news the drought out at the cat ranch zero'd out our milo crop, just gonna cash some gov insurance checks now.

This includes the "irrigated" circle (split well thats on my aunts land, we get it like 1/4 weeks) which my dad fought with the GOVERNMENT insurance man to get classified as irrigated for insurance purposes. What my dad didn't realize is that if you grow the same crop year over year the insurance payments go down (to encourage crop rotation) and of course my dad has grown milo on that circle for like 4 years straight because one year he made some money doing it.

The good news is that my dad has finally realized he is not a farmer and is going to cash rent our land to the local land baron which is what I told him to do 5 years ago......

BUT we still have like 120 acres of pasture + grazing on harvested crop fields that my dad has been leasing to a local kid about my age and now he wants to get a couple of heifers to start his own herd and let the local kid take care of them all.
Milo-killing drought is bad drought.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: September 21, 2022, 07:48:02 PM »
Just checked this book out from the Library and am looking forward to reading it. Author is from SW KS and it's about the ogallala aquifer

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: September 21, 2022, 07:51:46 PM »
Oh man, the first paragraph. Big city boi drives back to family farm in his Prius.

I'd say SD wrote this book but he has made everyone aware he drives a giant SLED to haul around his gaggle of children.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: September 21, 2022, 07:55:20 PM »
The tires on that USA flag corn trailer

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: September 21, 2022, 08:03:40 PM »
Just checked this book out from the Library and am looking forward to reading it. Author is from SW KS and it's about the ogallala aquifer

I don’t like the uppity tone of the description but let me know if it’s good and what towns make an appearance

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: September 22, 2022, 07:02:24 PM »

I don’t like the uppity tone of the description but let me know if it’s good and what towns make an appearance

I'm about 3/4 the way through it now and you would love the book.

TLDR - Kids parents get divorced when he's little and he grows up a "city" kid in Liberal and is now an Anthropology Professor at OU. Reconnects with his father/family history on the old homestead along the Cimarron to write about the depletion of the aquifer and his dad gets him interviews with a bunch of people etc. Tons of references to water mining/farm mafia/agribusiness/Mennonites/KSU/GMD (groundwater management districts for the city folk) etc. 

Also the writing is pretty good.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 07:17:35 PM by ben ji »

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: September 23, 2022, 10:13:23 AM »
Started harvest this week. Currently in a weather delay. We're going to switch over to start cutting soybeans when things dry out. Next week could be pretty busy. Hopefully get the drone in the air next week too.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: September 23, 2022, 10:40:32 AM »
Have a safe and bountiful harvest, farming_cat!

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: September 23, 2022, 11:00:06 AM »
Yes, have a great harvest!
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: September 23, 2022, 03:38:41 PM »
Big fan of farming_cat fan.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: September 23, 2022, 05:40:25 PM »

I'm about 3/4 the way through it now and you would love the book.

TLDR - Kids parents get divorced when he's little and he grows up a "city" kid in Liberal and is now an Anthropology Professor at OU. Reconnects with his father/family history on the old homestead along the Cimarron to write about the depletion of the aquifer and his dad gets him interviews with a bunch of people etc. Tons of references to water mining/farm mafia/agribusiness/Mennonites/KSU/GMD (groundwater management districts for the city folk) etc. 

Also the writing is pretty good.
Nice, will order

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: September 29, 2022, 10:15:07 AM »

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: October 05, 2022, 08:39:52 PM »
The elite family pasture is near Harveyville.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: October 05, 2022, 08:44:13 PM »

Tom

hell yeah

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: October 05, 2022, 11:20:16 PM »

Tom

Juvenile Bobcat

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: October 06, 2022, 01:46:02 PM »
IT'S A BAWBCAAT!