Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 380922 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2022/05/02/proposal-to-build-states-largest-feedlot-hits-snag-but-now-headed-for-another-chance/

There was a time when something named Blackshirt Feeders LP would have passed with no objections?

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I have no idea about how much water a 100,000 head feedlot needs but what are they gonna do for water in 20/30 years?

"The project still has some hurdles. It needs to obtain some nearby irrigated farm ground and “retire” at least six center-pivot irrigation systems to obtain enough water to supply the feedlot. The Upper Republican Natural Resources District would have to approve such a water swap."

bioengineered beef that require less water, like gmo crops. 20/30 years is like a million years irl.
They don't mess around with water shenanigans in the Republican compact.

I was talking to one of my buds who is a corn producer the other day and I learned that it takes (based on his calculations) 3000 gal of water to grow one bushel of corn. (Takes about 150 corn plants to grow a bushel of corn). That is a staggering amount of water.
Sandstone, I learned something today. Thank you.

I did the math for NEKS.  Probably other factors like run off, time of year, etc. to get to the 3k gal per bu.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
:thumbs:

Would probably depend on how evenly the rain or irrigation is spaced out thru the growing season. Ie six inches on may 1 is going to help the corn a lot less than once inch per week starting on June 1 etc.

Edit: I think my friend used a figure of 22 inches of water (rainfall + irrigation) during the growing season and a 200 bushel / acre yield in his calculations.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:56:08 AM by Sandstone Outcropping »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
That guy claimed two months ago that it would be hot AF in sw ks huh

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Wacky. You are headed down a path

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Wacky. You are headed down a path

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just posting, brother. This is the material you were begging for from dax. :dunno:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I've been around cows my whole life. Dad was a cattle buyer. This is the weirdest crap I've ever seen. Only explanation here are the conspiracy theories we all crave.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
I've been around cows my whole life. Dad was a cattle buyer. This is the weirdest crap I've ever seen. Only explanation here are the conspiracy theories we all crave.

that is a big giant huge mother rough ridin' nope from me Wacky.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Coward!

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Very curious to this whole thing, but I'd imagine a fairly simple explanation (heat, lightning, etc) is the cause
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It’s just heat and it happens more than you’d think but this time some chuds on social media got ahold of it

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
It’s just heat and it happens more than you’d think but this time some chuds on social media got ahold of it

BUT, BUT WHATABOUT ALL THOSE OTHER PLANNED FOOD PLACES GETTING HIT??!?!!!?
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

BUT, BUT WHATABOUT ALL THOSE OTHER PLANNED FOOD PLACES GETTING HIT??!?!!!?
EXACTLY!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This is the only rational explanation here, folks! Big government!

https://twitter.com/Laurens_vg/status/1536998507575447558?s=20&t=aKgJtnDtTTbFLrlr2LDnLQ

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Wait until it gets....gasp....very cold.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
My favorite reply was someone talking about some microwave weapon that blasted them all from above.

I also enjoyed the people who thought they all just died in those neat orderly rows and didn't see the end of the video where they were dragging cows into rows.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
My favorite reply was someone talking about some microwave weapon that blasted them all from above.

I also enjoyed the people who thought they all just died in those neat orderly rows and didn't see the end of the video where they were dragging cows into rows.

oh noes, the Jewish Space Laser People are at it again.   :ohno:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
there is a massive dead row at every massive feedlot all day every day. Not this size, but always. We have our own “dead pile” at our place that usually has some. We used to get paid a small amount for them by the rendering truck who turned them into dog food or something. Then they would just pick them up for free. Guessing we now have to pay them to come get them but not sure. These feedlots probably have a better arrangement from Purina or Hormel or something.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Can any of the meat be saved enough to go in my belly or will I die from mad cow disease?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
I know Whitney Hartman, and I can tell you that SHE is sus.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
 :D

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Those commenters make me really sad for the quality of our ONCE ESTEEMED ag program

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
can't figure out how to link to the fbook post. But this is going around. And let me tell ya, people still ain't buying it.

We had a natural disaster in Southwest Kansas on June 11th, 2022 and in the days that followed that greatly affected cattle being fed for slaughter. It wasn’t a tornado or a flood or government conspiracy to dismantle our food supply. There’s no mysterious disease or theory, we know exactly what happened.
It’s called a heat index crisis. Prior to this day, our average high temperatures were very mild, the night temperatures were very cool, the wind was normal and we were receiving rain showers that we so desperately needed!
On June 11th, temperatures rose, humidity was high, and wind speed nearly ceased. This is an emergency for cattle. Cattle can not compensate for this type of weather event if they do not get a period of night cooling. For several days this continued. Our people did everything in their power to save as many animals as they could. Our people are amazing and tired and weary. We lost a lot of cattle and we are physically affected by each loss because we know first hand the resources and expertise that goes into raising safe, wholesome and delicious beef for our consumers.
This weather event geographically centered in Haskell County and Grant County Kansas. This is cattle feeding country. We are typically subject to a climate that is superior for raising cattle for slaughter.
There’s a video making rounds with misinformation and I’d like to take the time to connect with you as a feedlot veterinarian from Southwest Kansas, a consumer of the same beef you feed your families, and a person passionately working in production agriculture. If you have concerns or questions, I am happy to connect. I don’t have a video to go viral with because what happened is not entertaining to me, it’s my livelihood and it hurts to see my people dealing with so much loss.
Tera Barnhardt, DVM, MS
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Sounds like she's got pregnancy brain.. Russia and China were both involved