Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 370043 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
I put up this amount of firewood from the dead trees in the windbreak over my last 2 trips but that will be gone by the end of December assuming normal consumption.

I'll probably cut some more over the summer but I have learned my lesson and have a couple of stacks of firewood hidden in the windbreak for when I go out there in January to chase birds.

that looks awesome, ben ji. I've considered buying a place outside of town just so I could go there and cut wood and stack it in neat piles.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
That should be an Olympic event!  :thumbsup:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
I put up this amount of firewood from the dead trees in the windbreak over my last 2 trips but that will be gone by the end of December assuming normal consumption.

I'll probably cut some more over the summer but I have learned my lesson and have a couple of stacks of firewood hidden in the windbreak for when I go out there in January to chase birds.

that looks awesome, ben ji. I've considered buying a place outside of town just so I could go there and cut wood and stack it in neat piles.
It's very therapeutic. Makes you feel like a manly man when you use power tools to slice some dead tree's into nice small burnable pieces.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You seeing/hearing a lot of pheasants this spring?  Hoping the Kansas population in general did a lot of sex and made a lot of pheasant babies.
Not really but this time of year they seem to hanging out in the wheat and CRP which I stay out of so they can sex up in peace.

I saw 1 rooster as I was pulling in that darted into a wheat field across the road. Also saw a couple of hen's scooting around in the distance.

I could hear them calling a couple times around the house but nothing crazy.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
So, this rain save everyone's ass?  I hope so

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Real toad-strangler here. Almost 5" on 5/24 and 5/25 combined.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

so, a gully washer?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

so, a gully washer?
I don't know if gully washer is the right term since the rain came over a 48 hr period and not in two hours.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

so, a gully washer?
I don't know if gully washer is the right term since the rain came over a 48 hr period and not in two hours.

seriously, this amount of slow soaking rain was good right?  I think of my KS wheat bros when it's super dry

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

so, a gully washer?

seriously, this amount of slow soaking rain was good right?  I think of my KS wheat bros when it's super dry
The farmers and ranchers I've been in contact with are very happy about the rainfall.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

so, a gully washer?

The farmers and ranchers I've been in contact with are very happy about the rainfall.
The current rain is way too late to help the wheat though

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
What about the cheat?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

so, a gully washer?

The current rain is way too late to help the wheat though

yerah, that was my thought: source is twitter wheat pictures

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kansas is really good at wheat

https://www.ksnt.com/news/kansas/winter-wheat-harvest-predicted-to-bring-lower-yields-kansas-wheat-commission-says/?fbclid=IwAR1-AQdvefi-0ez0JOOfoHjhK2qdSUSr2YcaLD0slkQ-2sVW4fui5aEI15g

In 2021, Kansas fields produced 52 bushels of wheat per acre. This year, they are estimated to produce 39 bushels per acre according to the USDA estimate.

The Kansas Wheat Commission said that Oklahoma and Colorado crops aren’t fairing much better, and combining their harvest with Kansas’ this year, it will still be less than what Kansas, alone, harvested in 2021.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Probably better fit in maps thread but putting here. Land value.

What's going on with Iowa, and to a lesser extent the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles?

Just heard a farm sold today 6 miles from us 25,000  an acre. Farm credit is lending up to 5,800. Must have deep pockets and other ground paid for in this crazy environment. Farm was 96 acres. Lays nice.

From a relative near Le Mars, IA this week.  This was an auction purchased by neighbor farmer.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Took a road trip last week thru SD and ND to see the Badlands, black hills, Custer State Park, national grasslamds, and Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

I've read about it, but to see the huge piles of rock that ND farmers accumulate in their fields is quite a site.

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Took a road trip last week thru SD and ND to see the Badlands, black hills, Custer State Park, national grasslamds, and Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

I've read about it, but to see the huge piles of rock that ND farmers accumulate in their fields is quite a site.

Tom

Tom, hate to break it to you but that's an old Indian burial site.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It's Milo planting season at the cat ranch (RIP to all the cats) so of course my dad had to go out there and pretend he was doing some of the work.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The 77 bu/acre he got was on the semi irrigated circle we have (1 pump on my aunt's land for 2 circles, we get it like 1 week a month).

We did not actually harvest a crop out of the newly broken out pasture so hopefully we can achieve that this year!

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
god that red s10 is just too adorable

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
When I was out there a couple of weeks ago my dad showed me how to switch the irrigation from my aunt's land to our land and I felt like a real farmer.

Basically you drive out to our circle, open the valve push the on button. Then drive out to my aunt's land, close her valve and push the off button.

We were only getting like 250gpm out of the well when I was out there when it used to spit out 800gpm back when it was drilled.

Still enough to provide 1 inch of water per week.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
As someone who had no idea how to work an irrigation circle before it was pretty simple. There is a control box and you set it to make a complete circle in 1 week based on how much water is coming out....but get this, IT can also run in reverse! The biggest thing I learned was that you have to make sure our circle is turned on before you turn off the other circle otherwise the well will blow up or something.

Also I learned that there are some "Blow Out valves?" on the end of the circle and you have to "blow them out" every once in a while because they get filled with algae and gunk and such. You basically turn a valve and some gunk and water flows out.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Maybe this should go in the shame yourself thread but it's a stick shift and I can't drive it because I'm a city boi.

My dad tried to teach me a couple of years ago but I felt bad because I kept killing it and jamming the clutch and thought I might break it.

I don't feel as bad about killing it now since he has had it for 5 years so maybe I'll ask for a lesson again.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Maybe this should go in the shame yourself thread but it's a stick shift and I can't drive it because I'm a city boi.

My dad tried to teach me a couple of years ago but I felt bad because I kept killing it and jamming the clutch and thought I might break it.

I don't feel as bad about killing it now since he has had it for 5 years so maybe I'll ask for a lesson again.

Just watch a YouTube video, n00b

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
It takes a long time to break a clutch, trust me I've burned up like 5
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite