Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 375849 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
#1wheat
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile
thanks farming_cat fan.  it’s hilarious how much more you know about farming than the rest of the poser downgrades ITT.  a few of these guys bought a garth brooks compact disc in high school and decided they were john deere reincarnated.

one follow up- is straw the same thing as hay?  and if there’s vitamins and minerals in the straw why not turn it into flour too?
There is little to no protein in the straw therefore the feed quality is very low. At times I'm sure straw is used as cattle feed and it is probably mixed in from time to time with higher quality of feed. I don't know very much about cattle feed. I try to just stick with eating cattle and not raise them. The main nutrient in the straw that is beneficial to the next crop would be potassium. Potassium is one of 3 major nutrients required to raise crops. The other 2 are phosphorus and nitrogen.
Basically straw has nothing beneficial for human consumption therefore is not processed into flour.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
thanks farming_cat fan.  it’s hilarious how much more you know about farming than the rest of the poser downgrades ITT.  a few of these guys bought a garth brooks compact disc in high school and decided they were john deere reincarnated.

one follow up- is straw the same thing as hay?  and if there’s vitamins and minerals in the straw why not turn it into flour too?
There is little to no protein in the straw therefore the feed quality is very low. At times I'm sure straw is used as cattle feed and it is probably mixed in from time to time with higher quality of feed. I don't know very much about cattle feed. I try to just stick with eating cattle and not raise them. The main nutrient in the straw that is beneficial to the next crop would be potassium. Potassium is one of 3 major nutrients required to raise crops. The other 2 are phosphorus and nitrogen.
Basically straw has nothing beneficial for human consumption therefore is not processed into flour.

This Guy Fawkes.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
https://kingflour.com/all-about-wheat-2/

50 percent of human calories consumed globally come from wheat.

The only human application for straw is as a toothpick to get the meat and bread out of your teeth.

Putting up straw bales was the easiest hay money every summer because they were so lite.

We've double cropped wheat followed by beans some years.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:44:43 PM by KST8FAN »

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug#:~:text=Norman%20Ernest%20Borlaug%20(%2F%CB%88b,production%20termed%20the%20Green%20Revolution.

This guy is one of the most famous wheat geneticists. His accomplishments are amazing.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
https://kswheatalliance.org/

This organization manages varieties developed in Kansas.

Tom

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just found out this is a thing

How’s everyone’s wheat crop?

https://twitter.com/aarhar/status/1526590454157950976?s=21&t=W4zwgxrf7XINj2DWYcOUdQ

#wheattour22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Non existent

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
i hope we all don't starve next winter.  or worse, have to eat corn.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Wheat is kicking ass, corn is taking off, and cotton poking through.  Life is good.
@mikec2w

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
corn used to be my #1 vegetable but as of this week, wheat is making a huge push for the top spot
and before slim goodbody comes in here to try and say that wheat isn’t a vegetable, it’s a plant that grows from the earth just like every other vegetable

also, is anyone else fascinated by the potassium in straw?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Might be time for a straw poll
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Token pic of our cow farmer Nate's yearling cows hanging out by the windmill.

#62 was moving slow and off by itself with drool hanging out of it's mouth coughing and my dad mentioned it's probably sick. I told him he better tell Nate to hit him with the Nuflor needle and my dad was shocked to know I knew what that was.

Look at all this knowledge I am absorbing from the best farming thread on a sports themed message board in the world.

Probably whatever is in that contrail chemtrail is making the cows sick.

Tom

« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 08:19:21 AM by schreds21 »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
corn used to be my #1 vegetable but as of this week, wheat is making a huge push for the top spot
and before slim goodbody comes in here to try and say that wheat isn’t a vegetable, it’s a plant that grows from the earth just like every other vegetable

also, is anyone else fascinated by the potassium in straw?

As a fellow who likes to wave the wheat myself, I've always been fascinated by the potassium in straw.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Just found out this is a thing

How’s everyone’s wheat crop?

https://twitter.com/aarhar/status/1526590454157950976?s=21&t=W4zwgxrf7XINj2DWYcOUdQ

#wheattour22

That wheat looks terrible. On a related note, wheat for July delivery is $12.58 at a local terminal.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
thanks farming_cat fan.  it’s hilarious how much more you know about farming than the rest of the poser downgrades ITT.  a few of these guys bought a garth brooks Joe Diffie. compact disc in high school and decided they were john deere reincarnated.

FYP, city boy. :lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
thanks farming_cat fan.  it’s hilarious how much more you know about farming than the rest of the poser downgrades ITT.  a few of these guys bought a garth brooks Joe Diffie. compact disc in high school and decided they were john deere reincarnated.

FYP, city boy. :lol:
don’t go there, city slicker!  my ropers are older than you!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

The only human application for straw is as a toothpick to get the meat and bread out of your teeth.

Putting up straw bales was the easiest hay money every summer because they were so lite.

Tom

Tell me more about this double cropping beans after wheat. When I was out at the cat ranch last weekend I was listening to the local radio and they played something about Biden encouraging double cropping. Based on what I remember only like 600 counties in the country can get their sweet sweet subsidized crop insurance if they double crop but Biden was talking about expanding it to like 2,000 counties or something.

So you harvest the wheat in late june/early july and still have enough time to get in a soybean crop?

I know this wouldn't be a thing in western ks where the cat ranch is but I'm interested in learning more about the feasibility. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also a very random WTF moment happened about a year ago when I was out on the cat ranch listening to some local radio and the guy giving the crop prices over the radio was a guy I knew from kstate who lives in KC now and works for the Andersons(Used to be lansing trade group).

"Wheat up X points, corn at X and cattle futures at X. Call Joe Blow at the Andersons for XXXX..."

We were friends of friends but I have definitely shotgunned multiple beers with this guy back in the day and had to check with some buddies to confirm it was the same guy.

Offline farming_cat fan

• Fan
  • Feeding the World
    • View Profile

Tom

Tell me more about this double cropping beans after wheat. When I was out at the cat ranch last weekend I was listening to the local radio and they played something about Biden encouraging double cropping. Based on what I remember only like 600 counties in the country can get their sweet sweet subsidized crop insurance if they double crop but Biden was talking about expanding it to like 2,000 counties or something.

So you harvest the wheat in late june/early july and still have enough time to get in a soybean crop?

I know this wouldn't be a thing in western ks where the cat ranch is but I'm interested in learning more about the feasibility.
You are correct. I know southern Kansas plans on double cropping beans every year. I would guess they typically have their wheat harvested in mid June. Their fertilizer plan includes both crops for the year. With new crop soybean prices where they are, I would imagine there will be quite a few double crop acres this year. We are considering it here in northeast Kansas.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Probably better fit in maps thread but putting here. Land value.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
The local paper had Kansas county land value % changes since last year and it was pretty interesting. I'll be damned if I can't find it online though.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

USD/ha
Per hectare?
1 ha = 2.47 acres

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I love how you can see where they built the transcontinental railroad out west. Just a rope of private land surrounded by BLM land.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Beans put nitrogen in the soil naturally that wheat takes out of the soil.

My grandpa in sek beaned all his wheat fields