Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 355964 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Also the road to the cat ranch is super nice compared to other roads not near the wind turbines. (By super nice I mean its gravel/sand that they needed for the construction, much better than the standard dirt road in WKS)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So I bought my dad a gas chainsaw for Christmas and we just started cutting up some dead limbs in the windbreak for firewood when the clutch went out. "Dont worry, I've got an idea" the cat rancher said.

We loaded up the generator into the back of lil red, drove to the limbs and just plugged his electric chainsaw into the generator.

Worked fine for a bit but then the electric one stopped working. "I think I have another one in the garage" the cat rancher said.

Sure enough he had THREE unopened electic chainsaws in the garage he forgot about. I asked him why he bought so many and apparently Harbor Freight had a good sale going on so he stocked up then forgot about them.

#CatRanchingLife
We have gone through all 3 unopened Harbor Freight chainsaws and are now mixing and matching parts off them to keep 1 running.

Put up a decent amount of firewood from dead trees/limbs in the windbreak.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Those dead limbs were Mice condos so Lady and Milo are helping with rodent control since the cats are too fat and happy to leave the barn. We move a limb and they start digging until the mice pop out.

Just watched Lady snatch up a mouse, bite it in half (blood everywhere) then swallow it....

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:42:49 PM by ben ji »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
ben ji, how many cords would you say that is? 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
So I bought my dad a gas chainsaw for Christmas and we just started cutting up some dead limbs in the windbreak for firewood when the clutch went out. "Dont worry, I've got an idea" the cat rancher said.

We loaded up the generator into the back of lil red, drove to the limbs and just plugged his electric chainsaw into the generator.

Worked fine for a bit but then the electric one stopped working. "I think I have another one in the garage" the cat rancher said.

Sure enough he had THREE unopened electic chainsaws in the garage he forgot about. I asked him why he bought so many and apparently Harbor Freight had a good sale going on so he stocked up then forgot about them.

#CatRanchingLife
We have gone through all 3 unopened Harbor Freight chainsaws and are now mixing and matching parts off them to keep 1 running.

Are the ones towards the left going to be faggots?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Those dead limbs were Mice condos so Lady and Milo are helping with rodent control since the cats are too fat and happy to leave the barn. We move a limb and they start digging until the mice pop out.

Just watched Lady snatch up a mouse, bite it in half (blood everywhere) then swallow it....

I had a Brittany that would follow me when I was mowing grass in the field to catch rats and mice that was stirred up.  She would eat them, but only after she played with them like a cat. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

#CatRanchingLife

Are the ones towards the left going to be faggots?
Yes, there is a whole other side of smaller logs and kindling.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
ben ji, how many cords would you say that is?

Like 80 or something.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile

:cheers:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
@steve dave was walking the windbreak this morning and found these 2 calves cuddled up while their moms were no where in sight, probably out partying at the hay bale my uncle dropped.

Bad parents?
Drove by the same area tonight and found this :(

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
mountain lion alert.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We put 2 trail cams by the carcass to see what comes scavenging on it tonight. What kind of odds are we putting on which animals show up?

1-1 Coyote?
2-1 Badger?
5-1 bobcat?
20-1 juvenile Mt Lion?

Close up of the goner

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Trail cams did not capture any scavengers last night.

In other news I started a hoopty ass par 3 golf course out here. So far we have 4 holes that all share the same "green"

1. A 115 yard par 3, pretty basic.

2. Longest hole of the course and a straight shot at the "green", a 155 yard par 3.

3. Toughest hole on the course. A 140 yard par 3 where the "green" is not visible from the tee box.

4. A 120 yard par 3, dont overshoot and end up in the overgrown corral tho!

Played 16 holes with my brother tonight and beat him by 1 stroke.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:45:58 AM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Here is the "Hole" that is utilized by all the tee boxes so far. We are planning to add some new tee boxes and get us up to a 9 hole par 3.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
hey!  watch out for snakes on that course!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
That's a coyote kill.  Seen it far too many times.
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Pasture golf... love it.  This is actually a thing for a small section of rhe golf world.  I cant find the link.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Pasture golf... love it.  This is actually a thing for a small section of rhe golf world.  I cant find the link.

Tom

I've been saying for years that Tom is the best that this BBS has to offer and it's posts like this that prove it.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Par 3 170 yards.  Elevated tee box from the top terrace into the bottom.  Being short leaves easy chip to the feedlot green.  Long hitters will find the trees and creek hazards behind it.  Tee shot must navigate between the two silos.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
https://www.golfchannel.com/video/cow-pasture-open-play

Tom

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
One time one of my buds and I made a par 3 in a pasture. Had plans for a water hazard, actual greens, etc. Iirc my dad drove up to us after we’d committed like a week of our free time to it and said “what the hell are you doing?” and that is the story about the end of Steve Dave Cow Farm Memorial Course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
also, may have already posted about this, we have some farm ground right next to a local townie golf course. whenever I would plow it I'd fill an entire giant box with golf balls I'd find. Had to be pretty incredible to watch. Like power up some giant 8 wheeled John Deere 9420 and smoke billows and it lurches forward dragging some 80 ft sweep (no idea how wide they actually were, but wide AF, fold over 3 times on each side for moving. joint where they fold greased zero times) through the ground only to come to a stop 15 yards later and powering down for some junior high kid to jump down and grab some split top flite ball and jump back in to do it all again for another 15 feet. my dad would have whipped my entire ass if he'd have witnessed it. lmao

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Great story SD.

Tom,

Assuming we get at least 9 Tee Boxes up and running you are officially invited to participate in the 2021 NW Kansas Invitational held at Cat Ranch Homestead Course.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
that place is too clean to represent actual irl farming. stinks of rich guy hobby farming. needs like 30 full/empty/partially empty 55 gallon drums, tools just rough ridin' everywhere, stuff piled up so you can't g fryet to other stuff, some bats, gigantic sliding doors that you can barely push open instead of a garage door, tons of broken stuff that nobody knows what it goes to (is it actually broken? no idea), 7 non working refrigerators used to store stuff for some reason, 6 ATV/UTVs with 33% of their tires completely flat.
Don't forget an entire winter's worth of wadded up baling twine/netwrap/wire and empty feed sacks.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I have like 20 wood pallets accumulated over the years... apparently cous just leaves them after  he has used the seed bags off them during planting season.

Tom