Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 370442 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
and when a bull quits working we'd make them into 100% hamburger. it's too lean for anything else. so we'd have like years of ground beef all of a sudden have to unload it. it was actually pretty good for lacking almost any fat.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
yeah, i don't think my grandfather was very good at cow farming.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
My dad would not butcher a bull.  He said meat was too tough and only poor farmer types ate bulls.  :Carl:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Tom, come in here and tell everyone how rough ridin' incredible it is that my slack ass who hated cow farming my entire life retained all this critical cow farm knowledge, WOW!
I am just sitting back and enjoying SD.  Not so fond memories of the "buller pen" for the steers that had been gang rode in the main pen. Extra work getting them their own hay and silage.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Tom, come in here and tell everyone how rough ridin' incredible it is that my slack ass who hated cow farming my entire life retained all this critical cow farm knowledge, WOW!
I am just sitting back and enjoying SD.  Not so fond memories of the "buller pen" for the steers that had been gang rode in the main pen. Extra work getting them their own hay and silage.

Tom

wait what???

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm naive enough to believe pretty much anything you guys tell me about ranch cow rough ridin'.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Our vet used to do AI and embryo transplant.   Spent a few summers holding cow tails and cooch while he implanted.

To think my entire sex ed consisted of helping dad manage the sexual conduct of cattle.

Fifth grade health film I was rather famous for asking why my dad cut the nuts off our cattle. 

Luckily the principal was a cow farmer on the side and knew dad so it was just noted I should not bring that up again.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Tom

wait what???

you have to separate those ones or they will literally die. I don't know the biology around why they are the ones.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Tom

wait what???
Feedlot cattle feeding is analogous to man prison.  Same sex animals in confined space. Eventually some of the steers become everyone else's bitch.  You have to isolate them to avoid getting rode to death.

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
 :surprised: Well, I learned something new today.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Cows are savage af  :sdeek:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The cat ranch is now a cat/pheasant combo ranch. Picked up 3 birds from a local preserve and am keeping them in the old chicken coop for now.

Current plan is to plant them in the field (in cages) while I'm working with Milo.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Unfortunately these birds will not have access to a flight pen unless I get ambitious which I probably wont.

On the plus side assuming nothing breaks in and kills them in the next couple of weeks I'll let them go when I leave and they will have the time of their lives for like 2 days before something eats their dumbasses.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
I'll bet there are hella nooks and crannies filled with sprawling wasp condos on the cat ranch. Is this true?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'll bet there are hella nooks and crannies filled with sprawling wasp condos on the cat ranch. Is this true?

Not really, I've seen a couple small nests but I've never noticed very many out at the cat/pheasant ranch.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Moved the 4020 to the cousins barn for safe keeping.  They are IH farmers.   Pix of his 766 and 1066.  I was always jealous of his fender radios.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
that place is too clean to represent actual irl farming. stinks of rich guy hobby farming. needs like 30 full/empty/partially empty 55 gallon drums, tools just rough ridin' everywhere, stuff piled up so you can't get to other stuff, some bats, gigantic sliding doors that you can barely push open instead of a garage door, tons of broken stuff that nobody knows what it goes to (is it actually broken? no idea), 7 non working refrigerators used to store stuff for some reason, 6 ATV/UTVs with 33% of their tires completely flat.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You can tell they are a hobby farmer because that giant barn didn't even have a hay bale condo for the cats.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Thats the new barn... the old shop/shed is pretty much what SD described.  All of the hay is in the original homestead barn.  No cats, but two mini Aussies.

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The cat ranch has an impressive junkyard of old farming equipment/appliances/whatever else

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:30:24 AM by ben ji »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
wow so close to that wind money

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They dug a trench in our pasture and buried a power cable/line so we got a lil wind money but we could easily support 100-300 cats if we had an actual windmill on our property.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Pic from the middle of the pasture looking at my uncles cattle and homestead area I took today.

Was a beautiful day, cut up a bunch of dead wood in the windbreak for firewood then my bro and I went out to the pasture and pew pew'd for a bit.

A storm rolled in around 5 and I figured it would rain all night but NOPE, rained for like 30 minutes and then was sunny again. My KC self just figured it would rain all night but that's why I'm a city boy.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
They dug a trench in our pasture and buried a power cable/line so we got a lil wind money but we could easily support 100-300 cats if we had an actual windmill on our property.

So is that an easement or some sort of lease? What's the market rate for that?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

So is that an easement or some sort of lease? What's the market rate for that?
I just asked the cat rancher this question and his answer was "I'm not sure how much money was from the lease/power line/ construction but I got more than I thought I would this year. The original company that bought our lease was bought by another company so I dont want to ask to many questions and have then dig into the paperwork and realize they overpayed me"

I'm planning to look ar the paperwork tomorrow to see if I can make sense of any of it.

TLDR: The cats have plenty of food