Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 372922 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Horses are a pain.  They eat all the time and take a lot of time to break for cattle cutting.  My dad used to buy (Outlaws) for me to break.  Only thing I was the one that got broke, as in an ankle, collar bone, and split my skull right above my eye.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Possible Cat PLUS Skunk ranch in the future?

This weekend when we were leaving the cat ranch we saw a skunk of the side of the road/windbreak. It was right by the house and where I work Milo on birds so I mentioned to my dad we should stop and shoot it.

He got kind of Angry and told me to leave it be.....now I know why

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
OR!!!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
He set up traps to catch the possums eating his cat food in the garage so its only a matter of time before he catches a skunk in there. Will be interesting to see how he handles it.........

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
a pet skunk would be kinda badass IF he can get the scent thing figured out.  can already see it in my mind's eye, your dad walking out of the house, screen door bangs shut a few times behind him, as him carry's out a plate full of eggs to feed lil lil and smelly cat, beaming with pride

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Turning a feral skunk into a pet is one of your father's best ideas yet
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
and that is saying something

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
anyone ever done a cattle drive on horseback?  pretty fun, throw some beers in your saddlebags and go.  butt gets pretty sore.
Might be Luking myself.   Dont remember which of the old pix from my parents I shared.

Pasture  round ups.   I always got stuck with taking the horses back to the trailer.

Tom dad in the middle sorting.   Young Tom to the right running the gate awaiting the inevitable ass chewing for failing to step between two 900 lb steers to ensure they went in the right pen.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
What’s the corral barrier situation there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Like, hedge with holes drilled through and steel cable?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
one time there was a horse in the field by my house, it was black iirc
he was eating brown tall grass which may have been hay, alfalfa, or soy beans, I climbed through the barbed wire and then walked over to the horse and made buds and then basically just figured out a way to get on it and it went crazy like a bucking bronco.  it was a good 6 second ride but I got bucked off and hit my head on a rock but it didn’t hurt too bad

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Like, hedge with holes drilled through and steel cable?

Hedge posts with sucker rod.  Dad used to get sucker Rod by the truck load... 25 ft long.  We still have huge inventory of 16 to 18 inch long galvanized bolts.   He would make panels with sucker rod and bolt it to the hedge posts.

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
That corral appears he drilled holes thru the posts.  That's before he refined his technique.   He hated cable pens btw.

Tom

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Tell him you don’t have to grease crap

Source: sd from the internet who always said he greased them but never did

Tom Dad would inspect equipment after Tom greased.   He better see grease oozing from every orafice and crack on that green iron.

Tom

He needs to check the manual because you should only give some a couple squirts.

Schreds dad:  Grease all 15000 zerks on the combine and make sure you dont miss any or it will throw sparks when the bearing goes out and burn the field and half of Kansas....but dont grease that one.
Schreds:  Why not?
Schreds dad:  Cause that's the slip clutch and if you grease it the combine won't work.
Schreds: Then why do they put a zerk on it?
Schreds dad: Because sometimes you have to grease it.
Schreds: WTF?
Schreds dad:  just shut the eff up and grease the god damn combine.  And dont miss any rough ridin' zerks.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Schreds just described every farm dad ever.  Love it.

Tom

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
 :cheers:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
 :thumbs:

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2020/03/09/climate-tariffs-debt-and-isolation-drive-some-farmers-suicide/4955865002/

I enjoy this thread as I think we all appreciate growing up on the farm even though we chose non farm career paths.   That up bringing shaped us.

It pains me to know some struggle keeping the family farm alive, but succumb to the stress.

I make lite of farm dad,  but thinking back mine protected me so much from the ups and downs of farming.  It was years later when I started to appreciate him more as a father than a task master... and after 30 years working in town I realize not only was he the GOAT dad, but he was the best boss I've ever had too.

Tom

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I feel the same way, Tom.  I chose a different livelihood and career path, but I wouldn't trade my rural farm/ranch childhood for anything now.  It made me who I am.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Same guys. I hated the living crap out of it but in hindsight I didn’t. If that makes sense.

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
just think about how much easier it would be to turn your kids loose outside every day and not have to listen to what show they want to watch on their ipad steve dave.  sure they might kill themselves but they are making memz in the cow crap and crap creek.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Well, they would mostly be forced to do manual labor 24/7/365 but agree on the possibly dying part.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Construction 7dad stole 80% of my weekends from like 10-20. Luckily there was no poop related work (other than plumbing), but God damn did I hate it. Probably why I'm a lazy pos who doesn't leave the couch on weekends now.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Construction 7dad stole 80% of my weekends from like 10-20. Luckily there was no poop related work (other than plumbing), but God damn did I hate it. Probably why I'm a lazy pos who doesn't leave the couch on weekends now.

That must be why my son hates the crap out of doing work on weekends.  I took him with me to do all kinds of hobby farm stuff, when he could of been rough ridin' around with his buds.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Feeling sorry for myself while looking at 401k then checked cattle futures.

Tom