Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 380919 times)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
SD have you watched the series “Yellowstone” on like the the Paramount Network? I haven’t but there’s a lot of cow farm mafia stuff on that show I’ve heard.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
you know what else they care about? grease zerks (technical farmer thing I'll explain). these are them:

so there are over a million of them on all kinds of plows, tractors, swather things that eat the hay, you name it. if you use it to farm cows or plants it's got grease zerks. you use a grease gun with giant tubes of lube to squirt it into them like every 4 hours you use the thing that has them. this is the gun.

it's an enormous pain in the ass and it's always hot as crap and there are bugs everywhere when you do it. here's what I figured out on my own though. it's fake news. you don't have to do it. I've gone literally a month without grease gunning a grease zerk and nothing mostly broke. I'm pretty sure it's a scam from big grease.

Had my first zerk/grease gun conversation this weekend on the farm. After we towed my brothers jacked up golf cart we were looking at the broken steering strut(?) and my dad pointed out the zerks and mentioned that we need to clean those and grease them with a grease gun then kept explaining it to me and I really wanted to tell him that I already knew what zerks and grease guns were from the internet but I let him keep going so he could get the satisfaction of teaching me something new.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2178 on: March 08, 2020, 08:56:50 PM »
Tell him you don’t have to grease crap

Source: sd from the internet who always said he greased them but never did

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Token cat picture, this guy/gal was chilling by the barn soaking up some rays. There were 2 more behind it in the weeds that I did not see until later.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My dad bought a gas powered fence post driller/Auger and I helped him put in a couple fence posts around the circle where the 50+ year old ones needed replacing.

I searched in the "garage" for an empty gas can for the fuel mix but couldnt find one. Just a crap ton of junk that probably has not been used in decades.

I did find 2 of his Automatic Cat feeders tho!

Guaran F'n tee at least half of those tools have not been used in 20 years. I assume we just leave them there because one day we might need them?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

What about a zerk like this? Probably never been hit with a real grease gun.

Also someone tell me the name of the part we need to replace (where the steering connects to the wheel)

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Nope, especially the hard to reach ones. Those are the least important.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Tom Dad would inspect equipment after Tom greased.   He better see grease oozing from every orafice and crack on that green iron.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
the problem with non-hobby cow farming is there's a lot more rough ridin' with tools and machines and crap than i prefer.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Tom Dad would inspect equipment after Tom greased.   He better see grease oozing from every orafice and crack on that green iron.

Tom

He needs to check the manual because you should only give some a couple squirts.

Also I read your article and have heard my dad talk about the issue. He likes gps and stuff but also likes to fix his own stuff so quite the pickle. I think people will ultimately need to hack them with new firmware like people used to do with iPods or something

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Dad had the first Cat Challenger in our farm community.  This is a pix of his grandsons probably 95-98 or about 25 years ago.

I remember it didnt sell at the farm sale.  I ended up listing it on the "internet "  and some guy from Minnesota bought it.

Tom

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 09, 2020, 02:36:14 PM »
Hell yeah, that was about the time I was tearing the crap out of a Cat Challenger, and whatever it happened to be pulling, and whatever I was running it into.

They were pretty badass but never really caught on. It was a ride going up over a steep terrace or any kind of bump. Shoot to the moon and crash to the ground....and then the tongue rips off your fully loaded grain cart and heads for Australia via the shortest route.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Dad had the first Cat Challenger in our farm community.  This is a pix of his grandsons probably 95-98 or about 25 years ago.

I remember it didnt sell at the farm sale.  I ended up listing it on the "internet "  and some guy from Minnesota bought it.

Tom

that is some high quality emaw fashion for real

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Are cowboy hats big in the Kansas farm community? I always associate them more with texas people and kansas farmers more with a free trucker hat.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

Tom

Yes Tom, my dad did the same thing.  Only not on rubber sealed joints because lots of grease blows out seal. 
OT:  got to admit it's fun to read about how KC city kids think about how to farm.  :lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Hell yeah, that was about the time I was tearing the crap out of a Cat Challenger, and whatever it happened to be pulling, and whatever I was running it into.

They were pretty badass but never really caught on. It was a ride going up over a steep terrace or any kind of bump. Shoot to the moon and crash to the ground....and then the tongue rips off your fully loaded grain cart and heads for Australia via the shortest route.

:lol:  I bet your Dad thought you were terror on wheels.  You were cheap labor but expensive to keep around.  :lol:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Are cowboy hats big in the Kansas farm community? I always associate them more with texas people and kansas farmers more with a free trucker hat.

my dad and grandpas (all Kansas dirt farmers) never wear or wore cowboy hats or cowboy boots. your association is pretty accurate.

I was actually looking at Tom's thinking that if that had been me I would have had some dirty Nikes and a "summer hat" from the local Co-op

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

Correct for farmers, but cattle and horse ranchers wore cowboy hats most of the time.  Exception was when going to events like rodeos, fairs, farm and 3I farm equipment shows; then most farm/rancher wore cowboy hats.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

My dad qualified more as a rancher, not a farmer,  but never saw him in a cowboy hat.  DeKalb seed ball cap,  overalls, on a horse rounding up yearlings.   I suspect like me we both had huge heads and cowboy hats are not a good look.

The oldest son, aka #1, was a cowboy from day one.  Lil bro went along for a while,  but eventually became the Buzz to his Woody.  See below.

New Years day 96... just returned from our Holiday Bowl beat down of CSU, #1 wanted to play cowboys.   He would ride his springy horse and I would shoot him.   He would proceed to fall off.  The falls became more dramatic until he landed in his elbow and spiral fractured his arm.  He would not let the EMT cut off his cowboy shirt.  They took it off after much protesting from him.  He lived the cowboy up motto.

Tom

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 02:56:52 PM by KST8FAN »

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 09, 2020, 03:05:24 PM »
Don’t know if you city people know this but you can’t wear a hat in church. EXCEPT FOR A COWBOY HAT. They are formal attire.

Also my dad never wore a hat or boots except for formal events. We also started sunsetting horses when I was pretty young. I got thrown off a couple and had about enough of that crap anyway. Then I almost killed myself multiple times doing complete front flips on ATVs. Now we are almost exclusively Polaris ranger/razor 4/6 wheel UTVs. We just hire horse cowboys to work for us but it seems like it’s mostly for tradition.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
anyone ever done a cattle drive on horseback?  pretty fun, throw some beers in your saddlebags and go.  butt gets pretty sore.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I’ve done about a 10 mile one a few times with no beers and it wasn’t fun at all.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Replace beers with marijuana cigarettes, and I would def do it once
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I was always around cows but only chased them on three wheelers before folks decided they were death machines