Author Topic: Sam Brownback  (Read 78293 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Sam Brownback
« Reply #425 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »
washington doesn't collect much oil/gas revenue, afaik.  living on the washington/oregon border would set you up for a nice little income/sales tax arbitrage game.

sys that's exactly why my parents chose to retire there.  Kalama, WA.  Also they do their grocery shopping at Ft Lewis (retired military).

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 21, 2016, 01:24:12 PM »
washington doesn't collect much oil/gas revenue, afaik.  living on the washington/oregon border would set you up for a nice little income/sales tax arbitrage game.

sys that's exactly why my parents chose to retire there.  Kalama, WA.  Also they do their grocery shopping at Ft Lewis (retired military).
Sounds about right
:adios:

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 24, 2016, 11:41:55 PM »
Does Sam drink much?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 27, 2016, 12:23:35 AM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How’s this for chutzpah from Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback?

Last Wednesday, his administration announced the latest in a series of devastating budget cuts made necessary by his fiscally disastrous 2012 income tax cuts.

On Thursday, Brownback sent out a letter in which he asked donors to send “your most generous contribution” to “Brownback for Governor, Inc.” to help him pay off 2014 campaign debts.

The opening sentence: “The liberal media continues to unleash a daily barrage of false and misleading attacks against our state and our values.”

Then in bold-faced type: “The liberals and their allies in the media will stop at nothing to undermine the conservative reforms we are making in Kansas.”

The letter, by the way, does not mention the state government’s tremendous economic woes, which he helped create.

Or the fact that the Legislature returns Wednesday to try to balance the shaky Sunflower State budget.

Or that even some Republican lawmakers are pressing Brownback to end the costly tax cuts for businesses and farmers, which sap more than $200 million a year away from public services.

However, the Brownback letter does seem to know what will play with the ultra-conservative, starve government crowd.

The missive includes attacks on “media elitists,” “leftists in the media,” Democrats and “their friends in the liberal media,” “liberals in the media” and “liberal outside groups.”

Plus this one in boldfaced type: “Some at the local Missouri-based paper in Kansas have even taken to openly rooting for the Kansas economy to fail.” Wonder which media property he’s talking about?

His critics, the governor said, “can’t stand a conservative governor who leads with honesty and integrity.”

Brownback makes the point that the media are ignoring positive things happening in the state.

His top example: “Cut income taxes by over 30% for all Kansans while eliminating the income tax for 388,000 of the poorest Kansans.”

Others include creating more jobs, lowering the unemployment rate, supporting gun rights, funding schools “at historic levels of over $4 billion per year,” enacting a property tax lid for local governments, holding the line on expansion of Obamacare and championing welfare-to-work reforms.

Kansas critics of the governor could nitpick this list all day. For instance, he does not mention any of the court-ordered issues with school funding.

But a few things are plainly missing from that list.

Here are some of the sobering realities.

Just last Wednesday, the day before this letter went out, Brownback announced that road funds would be cut by $185 million and higher education by $17 million for next year.

Because that won’t balance the budget, the governor has asked the Legislature to look at other ideas, all of them bad. They include not making a payment of almost $100 million for now into the state pension fund and slashing K-12 funding by around $57 million.

The governor’s letter also doesn’t mention the more than $1 billion already swept out of road funds in the last few years to balance the budget as well as a number of other financial tricks he’s had to employ to keep the state out of red ink.

The letter neglects the fact that the state’s own labor officials say Kansas did not gain a single job in the 12 months between March 2015 and March 2016.

Brownback’s letter says he needs the money because his 2014 campaign took on “hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.”

“I am writing to you today to ask that you continue to stand with me in the effort to move Kansas and America in the right direction. Your contribution of $2,000, $1,000, $500, $250, $50 or even $25 will show the Democrats and the liberals in the media that you support me in this effort.”

Finally, before signing off with “Best regards,” Brownback writes:

“Together, we are building a better Kansas and a better America.”

Updated Tuesday afternoon:

“The letter is intended to retire 2014 campaign debt and any funds raised will be used for that purpose,” Eileen Hawley, the governor’s communications director/press secretary, wrote to me in an email. “Money raised by the campaign cannot be used to directly support other candidates.”

Oh, one final note:

On Monday, Standard & Poor’s Rating Agencies put Kansas on its “Credit Negative” list after the revenue shortfalls were announced, bringing with them the “likelihood of structural budget deficit.”
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 27, 2016, 12:27:31 AM »
people on this blog voted for this guy.  like actually voted for this guy  :lol:

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 27, 2016, 01:08:31 AM »
people on this blog voted for this guy.  like actually voted for this guy  :lol:

I did not.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 27, 2016, 08:33:43 AM »
Quite a few people in the state voted for him lib.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 27, 2016, 11:03:27 AM »

I hold this blog to a higher standard than the rest of the state, even the resident mouthbreathers

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 27, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »

I hold this blog to a higher standard than the rest of the state, even the resident mouthbreathers

It's like you've never seen Reno, Fake, Dax, or KSUW post before.....
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 27, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »
Interesting read, maybe must-read, but SHOTS FIRED at Kansas.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/smug-american-liberalism

#ThanksSam

That really is a great article that probably deserves its own thread. I agree with most of it.

Among the worst are liberals that USED to live in Kansas.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 27, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »
I had never been so disappointed in Kansans as I was after that election. If I wasn't so close to retirement I would consider working in another state.  Some members of my family still think he is great based solely on his stance on the big A.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 27, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »
The missive includes attacks on “media elitists,” “leftists in the media,” Democrats and “their friends in the liberal media,” “liberals in the media” and “liberal outside groups.”

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 27, 2016, 12:59:40 PM »
Interesting read, maybe must-read, but SHOTS FIRED at Kansas.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/smug-american-liberalism

#ThanksSam

That really is a great article that probably deserves its own thread. I agree with most of it.

Among the worst are liberals that USED to live in Kansas.

hits a little close to home, although i too agree.  very good article.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #439 on: April 30, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
I hate to break it to you guys, but the state isn't materially different than it was 6 years ago, 16 years ago, etc., etc.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 30, 2016, 12:45:41 PM »
You can read all about it here: http://budget.ks.gov/gbr.htm

Or you can read politically motivated rhetoric at Salon and Vox.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 30, 2016, 01:01:46 PM »
I hate to break it to you guys, but the state isn't materially different than it was 6 years ago, 16 years ago, etc., etc.

:lol:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 01, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »

If you live in wealthy enclaves and send your kids to elite private schools I can confirm its very similar.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 01, 2016, 03:45:35 PM »
Lest we not forget the poors, who were doing so well until Sam cut their taxes and took away all their money.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 01, 2016, 03:50:28 PM »
I mean Fake is technically correct.  We still have the same number of jobs, it's just that everyone else is adding.  We still have the exact same road materials from 6 or 16 years ago, and hopefully they'll stay in place for another 15 years. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 01, 2016, 04:05:13 PM »
From Democrats

http://www.jec.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/democrats/statebystatereport

It's not awesome, but private sector growth is far from the worst ( illinois)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 01, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »
One credit downgrade. A second coming. How about the highway fund being wiped out. KPERS. Higher educations cuts. Removal of discrimination protections for gay, lesbian and transgender state employees.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 01, 2016, 04:12:14 PM »
From Democrats

http://www.jec.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/democrats/statebystatereport

It's not awesome, but private sector growth is far from the worst ( illinois)

"Far from the worst." Strong argument  :Ugh:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 01, 2016, 04:14:16 PM »
The premise is "the worst". I didn't choose that.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 01, 2016, 04:15:55 PM »
Nice trolling  :jerk: