Author Topic: 18 trillion  (Read 9503 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
18 trillion
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
nm

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: 18 trillion
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »
2 Middle East occupations, check

Homeland security department, check.

A doubling of the defense department budget, check

A lack of cuts in relation to tax cuts, check

Medicare prescription drug program, check

Look at all this legacy spending!! 

I wonder if we should've raised taxes if we wanted all this stuff.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »
Maybe 2 dr peps for the cats in 3 years

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »
Endowment

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:49:37 PM »

#libtard
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
Debt isn't even real, it's just numbers on a screen bro
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:56:48 PM »

#libtard

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 10:44:45 PM »

“Every week we roll over approximately $100 billion in U.S. bills,” Lew told the committee. “If U.S. bondholders decided that they wanted to be repaid rather than continuing to roll over their investments, we could unexpectedly dissipate our entire cash balance.”

“There is no plan other than raising the debt limit that permits us to meet all of our obligations,” Lew said.

“Let me remind everyone,” Lew said, “principal on the debt is not something we pay out of our cash flow of revenues. Principal on the debt is something that is a function of the markets rolling over.”

The vast amount of debt that the Treasury must roll over in such a short time frame is driven by the fact the Treasury has put most of the debt into short-term “bills” and mid-term “notes”—on which it can pay lower interest rates—rather than into long-term bonds, which demand significantly higher interest rates.

At the end of October, according to the Treasury’s Monthly Statement of the Public Debt, the total debt of the federal government was $17,937,160,000,000.

Of this, $5,080,104,000,000 was what the Treasury calls “intragovernmental” debt, which is money the Treasury has borrowed and spent out of trust funds theoretically set aside for other purposes—such as the Social Security Trust Fund.

The remaining $12,857,056,000,000 was “debt held by the public.” This part of the debt included $517,029,000,000 “nonmarketable” Treasury securities (such as savings bonds) and $12,340,028,000,000 in “marketable” Treasury securities, including bills, notes, bonds and Treasuring Inflation-Protected Securities.

But only $1,547,073,000,000 of the $12,857,056,000,000 in marketable debt was in long-term Treasury bonds that mature in 30 years. These bonds carried an average interest rate of 4.919 percent as of the end of October, according to the Treasury.

The largest share of the marketable debt--$8,192,466,000,000—was in notes that mature in 2,3,5,7 or 10 years, and which haf an average interest rate of 1.807 percent as of the end of October.

Another $1,412,388,000,000 of the marketable debt was in Treasury bills, which carry “maturities ranging from a few days to 52 weeks,” says the Treasury. These $1.4 trillion in short-term Treasury bills had an average interest rate of 0.056 percent as of the end of October, according to the Treasury.

The continual rolling over of these short-term, low-interest bills helped drive over the $1-trillion mark the new debt the Treasury had to issue in the first eight weeks of this fiscal year.

The Treasury has taken out what amounts to an adjustable-rate mortgage on our ever-growing national debt.

If the Treasury were forced to convert the $1.4 trillion in short-term bills (on which it now pays an average interest rate of 0.056 percent) into 30-year bonds at the average rate it is now paying on such bonds (4.919 percent) the interest on that $1.4 trillion in debt would increase 88-fold.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 11:13:13 PM »

Right... and the Dems have been fighting valiantly to reduce spending since they took both houses of Congress in 2006, the presidency in 2008, and retained the Senate until 2014 - but, but those damned legacy costs!!! :shakesfist:

And even if broad tax increases would have significantly increased revenue, as opposed to further tanking the economy, the Dems failed to do so when they held overwhelming majorities in Congress. How strange.

But yeah, we've definitely got a revenue problem. You just can't run a government on 3 trillion dollars a year, amiright?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:24:20 PM »
Gaga has had like a bunch of hits

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 11:51:12 PM »

“Every week we roll over approximately $100 billion in U.S. bills,” Lew told the committee. “If U.S. bondholders decided that they wanted to be repaid rather than continuing to roll over their investments, we could unexpectedly dissipate our entire cash balance.”

“There is no plan other than raising the debt limit that permits us to meet all of our obligations,” Lew said.

“Let me remind everyone,” Lew said, “principal on the debt is not something we pay out of our cash flow of revenues. Principal on the debt is something that is a function of the markets rolling over.”

The vast amount of debt that the Treasury must roll over in such a short time frame is driven by the fact the Treasury has put most of the debt into short-term “bills” and mid-term “notes”—on which it can pay lower interest rates—rather than into long-term bonds, which demand significantly higher interest rates.

At the end of October, according to the Treasury’s Monthly Statement of the Public Debt, the total debt of the federal government was $17,937,160,000,000.

Of this, $5,080,104,000,000 was what the Treasury calls “intragovernmental” debt, which is money the Treasury has borrowed and spent out of trust funds theoretically set aside for other purposes—such as the Social Security Trust Fund.

The remaining $12,857,056,000,000 was “debt held by the public.” This part of the debt included $517,029,000,000 “nonmarketable” Treasury securities (such as savings bonds) and $12,340,028,000,000 in “marketable” Treasury securities, including bills, notes, bonds and Treasuring Inflation-Protected Securities.

But only $1,547,073,000,000 of the $12,857,056,000,000 in marketable debt was in long-term Treasury bonds that mature in 30 years. These bonds carried an average interest rate of 4.919 percent as of the end of October, according to the Treasury.

The largest share of the marketable debt--$8,192,466,000,000—was in notes that mature in 2,3,5,7 or 10 years, and which haf an average interest rate of 1.807 percent as of the end of October.

Another $1,412,388,000,000 of the marketable debt was in Treasury bills, which carry “maturities ranging from a few days to 52 weeks,” says the Treasury. These $1.4 trillion in short-term Treasury bills had an average interest rate of 0.056 percent as of the end of October, according to the Treasury.

The continual rolling over of these short-term, low-interest bills helped drive over the $1-trillion mark the new debt the Treasury had to issue in the first eight weeks of this fiscal year.

The Treasury has taken out what amounts to an adjustable-rate mortgage on our ever-growing national debt.

If the Treasury were forced to convert the $1.4 trillion in short-term bills (on which it now pays an average interest rate of 0.056 percent) into 30-year bonds at the average rate it is now paying on such bonds (4.919 percent) the interest on that $1.4 trillion in debt would increase 88-fold.

That sounds like an explanation of why the debt isn't a debt in the usual sense - the kind to be concerned about.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »

That sounds like an explanation of why the debt isn't a debt in the usual sense - the kind to be concerned about.

I know, right?  I don't understand why we even need to pay any taxes.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »

There are lots of ways to fund the government.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 12:54:18 AM »

There are lots of ways to fund the government.

Lottery?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »
Steal oil

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 10:57:35 AM »
I can't think of a more overhyped phantom crisis than the debt, I'm still waiting for that Greek like collapse Consertvetards promised 3 years ago.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »
BFD

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »
Republicans:  We need to be more like Russia and China!!!

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »
 :cool:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »
Being worse than France and the UK and approaching Italy is very very bad.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
Whatever you say Comrade

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »
I can't think of a more overhyped phantom crisis than the debt, I'm still waiting for that Greek like collapse Consertvetards promised 3 years ago.

That's a weird thing to look forward to.

Guys, just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it isn't real.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »

sitting pretty

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »
I'm on board, Cire. Lower all taxes to zero and ride the debt train to #1!!!!!  Only fools pay taxes!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »
Totally agree. Things seem to have worked out just dandy for Japan and Greece. Fire up that money printer!