Author Topic: Holler for the Band!!  (Read 110879 times)

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
Re: Holler for the Band!!
« Reply #825 on: May 01, 2021, 11:15:05 AM »
Well, I don't know what to say to that except if it is true, Gene probably needs to be shown the door.

This is from an email to the season ticket holders yesterday.

That's the same e-mail I received. My initial thoughts were that's how they were spinning this move. Relocate the band, claim it's for gameday purposes, then announce a new beer garden in the NE corner.

Quote from: chum1
I like how Tracz talks like he's speaking on behalf of the entire band. Because the few people I've known in marching band and also everyone they hung out with in marching band absolutely did not give a eff about the football games.

Well... they didn't care about football games like normal people do. They cared about them for band reasons.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 01, 2021, 12:06:19 PM »
Well, I don't know what to say to that except if it is true, Gene probably needs to be shown the door.

This is from an email to the season ticket holders yesterday.

That's the same e-mail I received. My initial thoughts were that's how they were spinning this move. Relocate the band, claim it's for gameday purposes, then announce a new beer garden in the NE corner.

Quote from: chum1
I like how Tracz talks like he's speaking on behalf of the entire band. Because the few people I've known in marching band and also everyone they hung out with in marching band absolutely did not give a eff about the football games.

Well... they didn't care about football games like normal people do. They cared about them for band reasons.

In his last ask the AD video Gene said the beer garden was planned for the SEZ. We know Tracz never wanted to move, and taking the AD at their word they said they did it because Tracz wanted to move back. Even if they do turn that corner into a beer garden it's going to take a lot of money to retrofit it. That corner of the concourse is already a bit of a bottleneck, which is likely to get worse when they build the practice facility over there.. Squeezing a concession stand on that corner seems like an odd choice.

If you think moving the band back because the band wants to is a fireable offense, wouldn't publicly lying about it be even more of a fireable offense? I don't think they're lying or spinning, I think Gene saw that they are having a hard time selling student tickets and he's sick of hearing Tracz cry about it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 01, 2021, 01:24:39 PM »
I don't really think it's a fireable offense but if he legitimately thought moving the band behind the opposing bench created a worthwhile competitive advantage he's very very dumb

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 01, 2021, 01:25:17 PM »
Also funny that this was announced. Like does anyone care?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 01, 2021, 02:09:10 PM »

I don't really understand it, but I think a bunch of people do care about every little thing at the stadium.  Lots of people get fired up about turf colors and stuff like that too.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 01, 2021, 03:46:02 PM »

I do think it would be a giant WTF.if you're a season ticket holder and you show up to the stadium to see the band not in the section built for them. There also need to be an explanation as to why that section will all of a sudden be up for sale.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 01, 2021, 04:24:16 PM »

I do think it would be a giant WTF.if you're a season ticket holder and you show up to the stadium to see the band not in the section built for them. There also need to be an explanation as to why that section will all of a sudden be up for sale.
Yeah you're right, it's a big part of the experience for a lot of people

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 01, 2021, 05:05:23 PM »
So do they customize the center student section or is that part of the appeal just cram the band into standard bleachers?

Pro tip... the trombone section will eat up 2 rows.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 01, 2021, 10:41:16 PM »

I don't really understand it, but I think a bunch of people do care about every little thing at the stadium.  Lots of people get fired up about turf colors and stuff like that too.

@Skinbenny
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 01, 2021, 11:07:02 PM »
So do they customize the center student section or is that part of the appeal just cram the band into standard bleachers?

Pro tip... the trombone section will eat up 2 rows.

Tom

They're standard bleachers

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #835 on: May 02, 2021, 08:02:38 AM »
Y'all are getting fired up about band location. Too funny.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 03, 2021, 06:43:59 AM »
Quote from: MakeItRain
If you think moving the band back because the band wants to is a fireable offense, wouldn't publicly lying about it be even more of a fireable offense? I don't think they're lying or spinning, I think Gene saw that they are having a hard time selling student tickets and he's sick of hearing Tracz cry about it.

So what? The AD doesn't take orders from the freaking band. I don't think moving the band is a fireable offense, but not being able to stick up to the band director and tell him to shut up and enjoy his primo new seating area certainly is in the realm.

If everything really has gone down the way it's being given to us, then this is a giant disappointment. Winning will fill the student section back up. The band looked and sounded better in the NE corner, and if that's not being used for a new garden, then that part of the stadium is going to look really odd.

I hate that we now have to fix something that wasn't broken.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 03, 2021, 09:56:15 AM »
Quote from: MakeItRain

So what? The AD doesn't take orders from the freaking band. I don't think moving the band is a fireable offense, but not being able to stick up to the band director and tell him to shut up and enjoy his primo new seating area certainly is in the realm.

If everything really has gone down the way it's being given to us, then this is a giant disappointment. Winning will fill the student section back up. The band looked and sounded better in the NE corner, and if that's not being used for a new garden, then that part of the stadium is going to look really odd.

I hate that we now have to fix something that wasn't broken.

Other than the fireable offense thing I don't disagree with you. @IPA4Me said we are getting fired up about band location but it's not really about that. I think it is ridiculous that we spent hundreds of thousands of dollars just 5 years ago to make that section specifically for the band and now we're going to have to spend money to change it because the band director wants a better seat for the game. The reason given, they are a distraction to the visitors, is idiotic. I have had season tickets since 1996, first four years in icat. It's cool that we give students and the band such good seats, but they're not distracting the visitors any more than they are in that corner.

I don't even hold it against Tracz for being a baby about this, I imagine coaches cry about petty stuff all the time. Tracz seems to have a cult of personality thing going, like Snyder did, so I'm sure he's a giant diva, but the AD needs to be able to tell his coaches to kick rocks when their wishes don't align with what's best for the department.

The problem here is that for the fan base this will be looked at as overwhelmingly positive, Gene and Frank both knows this too.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 03, 2021, 10:07:07 AM »
It’s wild that I know our band director’s name. How much longer will he be around?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 24, 2021, 08:21:53 AM »

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: May 24, 2021, 09:32:51 AM »
Maybe the university can reevaluate all basement storage areas considering recent history with the library as well.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 24, 2021, 09:16:45 PM »
https://www.ksnt.com/news/local-news/k-state-marching-band-loses-equipment-looking-at-new-facility/

Tom

I saw a solicitation about the band facility over the weekend, they want it in East Stadium.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 25, 2021, 12:32:09 PM »
They should use the area under the band site if there is and open area under it.  :dunno:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 25, 2021, 12:48:48 PM »
https://www.ksnt.com/news/local-news/k-state-marching-band-loses-equipment-looking-at-new-facility/

Tom

I saw a solicitation about the band facility over the weekend, they want it in East West Stadium.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 25, 2021, 06:34:53 PM »
I was about to ask if you didn't mean the West Stadium. IIRC the East Stadium has recently been renovated to be some kind of welcoming center, paired with the Alumni Center that's right there to the west of its entrance.

Having been in those, prior to renovation, I don't see how that's a bad idea. Those "rooms" haven't really been touched since they were built as dorms back in the ancient times, then turned to storage. I had a speech class in one of the few classrooms on the East side once.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 25, 2021, 06:58:18 PM »
I was about to ask if you didn't mean the West Stadium. IIRC the East Stadium has recently been renovated to be some kind of welcoming center, paired with the Alumni Center that's right there to the west of its entrance.

Having been in those, prior to renovation, I don't see how that's a bad idea. Those "rooms" haven't really been touched since they were built as dorms back in the ancient times, then turned to storage. I had a speech class in one of the few classrooms on the East side once.

The Purple Masque Theatre is under the bleachers on the west side of the field at East Stadium so I'm not sure where you'd put the band.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 25, 2021, 09:22:35 PM »

The Purple Masque Theatre is under the bleachers on the west side of the field at East Stadium so I'm not sure where you'd put the band.

Purple Masque Theatre is in the south side of east stadium, they want the band center in the north side.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 26, 2021, 04:22:33 AM »
The Northeast corner  aka Phase II of the $80 million plus VFFC/NEZ project which included the special band section cost $15 million.   The band section itself cost in the millions.   It was designed to support a non revenue producing component of gameday.   The only revenue producing part of that project is the additional Icevision. 

From a cost outlay perspective this move is total bullshit given that Phase II of VFFC/NEZ could have integrated a revenue producing component from Day 1 for that now former band area.   

Given the design of BSFS this now means that once again a substantial portion of the stadium can’t hear the band during the game.   So for those that care in many parts of the stadium.   No in game Wabash or Wildcat Victory for you.   The band is again just a distant bass drum drone.   

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 26, 2021, 10:00:14 AM »
Apparently this was less about appeasing Tracz's whining and more about a consistent decline in student ticket sales.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 26, 2021, 10:40:27 AM »
Apparently this was less about appeasing Tracz's whining and more about a consistent decline in student ticket sales.

That makes sense. I hope we get good again soon and Tracz has to unwillingly move to the corner again.